Regional Strains

catPISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

4 Likes

ā€œNugā€. Smelled like cheese cat piss and God.

1 Like

New York, Buffalo and Syracuse area had a cut of Blueberry from the early 90ā€™s.
Tiny nugs like GSC that smelled of blueberries and had a clear sativa buzz

And, I never had it, but heard good things about Woodstock.

2 Likes

I used to ride sleds in the winter on the big hill at American University in the 70s. I was born and raised in DC. Small world :+1:

1 Like

Here in New york ā€œpiffā€ of courseā€¦and itā€™s obviously not regional but there was always a blueberry around, it smelled and tasted amazing but seriously lacking in the potency department

3 Likes

This is rumored to be the Blueberry that has been in california medical scene sense the early prop 215 days , we will see Iā€™ve grown it many of times and so far she looks familiar

18 Likes

I remember some really tasty blueberry we got from a guy in NY back when I was younger and the terps and buzz were incredible. Hope yours are winners for you.

3 Likes

Crap weed originated from my area and spread throughout the landā€¦until Oaxaca hit the scene.

2 Likes

You have some nice ā€œKushā€ pairing then? ā€¦ ā€¦ Would you recommend a Kush to mix with Blue Dream?

I used to smoke a lot of Hog back in the dayā€¦it was particularly hard to clone, so I was around breeders who were trying to make it cloneableā€¦Good time for sure!! There was also a big Orchid scene back thenā€¦:smiley:

(Sorry to get off on a tangentā€¦I think it would be cool if overgrow had a sister website dedicated to Orchidsā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:)

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Back in 2010/2011 we had some bud called NFS. It was a racy, high octane type weed that smelled like pine and lemon and tasted the same. It was neon green with frost for days but it would make you sweat and giggle until you were light headed. Now, at the time I was told NFS stood for ā€œNeed For Speedā€ named after the popular racing game at the time but I was also told it was ā€œNot For Saleā€. The story supposedly being that a grower in town had another grower buddy that asked him what a clone labeled ā€œNFSā€ was and he said ā€œnot for saleā€. Well the grower got arrested and his buddy that originally asked about the clone went to his house to clear it out before the inevitable raid and only had time to grab a tray of ā€œNFSā€ clones still in the jiffy rooters and a couple lights and bags of weed (I assume in hopes to lessen the charges on his friend). He smoked a nug out of the bag also labeled ā€œNFSā€ and he realized it was better than anything he had growing at the time and cleared out his grow for the clones. Well, he grew all of the clones out and sold the bags of weed he grabbed in order to get enough money to bail his buddy out of jail, and then when he had enough money to cover everything, he stopped growing/ selling it. Bringing back the meaning of the name ā€œNot For Saleā€. That explains why it was around for such a short amount of time but thatā€™s all part of the cannabis mythology, who knows if itā€™s true or not. Interesting little story though.

2 Likes

i recall growing some blueberry back in the day, well a buddy grew it while i was growing white widow. some of the best weed iā€™ve ever smoked, 3 hit shit we called it. that was from a seedbank overseas, he ordered them and we split them. 2004 if i recall correctly. then got some ā€œblueberryā€ a few years later. had the same look, same smell, but hardly any high at all. not sure what happened to it, but it was trash weed for sure. we got higher off a nickel bag of leaf pot than an eighth of this crap.

i grew up across the river from meigs county oh back in the day when it was listed as one of the best growing areas in high times magazine. never did get the names of any of the weed from there but it was all killer. we normally couldnā€™t afford the good shit and just got dirtweed. i recall walking through the woods one day and ending up in the middle of a pot field. plants as tall as me, and when we realized what we were and where we were, we quickly turned around and almost ran back the way we had came. they were notorious for shooting folks that wandered onto a grow back then.

5 Likes

A real popular and coveted one in the late 90s, early 2000s was the J.B. Blueberry cut. A lot of drama over that particular cut. A better blueberry I have never found. I came close with the Northern Spider Berry #6 and it had a good run but it wasnā€™t as ā€œfresh blueberries punch in the faceā€ as the JB cut.
Oh, and the Asian production cut we called the spider hashplant, because the tray came loaded with spider mites. This thing was as close to a 6 weeker as Iā€™ve ever seen, with dense, fat, narcotic buds. I could turn out 2 cycles while I ran one 13 week cycle of my favorite, a Super Lemon haze cut, from the 08 batch of S1s.
:grin::v::canada:

7 Likes

I love local stories like that. Cannabis used to have such an air of mystique surrounding it.

1 Like

Deathstar is circulating Michigan. If you message hreamprocessing or hreamswapmeet on Instagram I bet he could point you in the right direction.

3 Likes

If anyone has any stories about ā€œMaine Kind Budā€ Iā€™d be very happy to hear them.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s something special about the pre98 / pre2000 DJ Short genetics

I hope she treats you well and brings you much nostalgia

4 Likes

We basically smoked whatever was around. A lot of Mex, then whatever friends or family had going. We didnā€™t really care about names at the time. The Mex was considered poorer quality, but people would say if you smoked it after being accustomed to the local grown stuff, it would hit you much stronger. I donā€™t know if it really did, or if people just tricked themselves into thinking it did. When I was a kid my dad used to try growing Mexicans and Colombians from seeds found in the buds he bought off the street or from dealer friends, but I donā€™t remember how any of it was. I was lucky enough to know some old growers with a bunch of mixed heirloom strains. There used to be a guy named Bill who was a cocaine smuggler that had some kind of skunk weed that was primo. He lived in the mountains and only had one thumb. Supposedly, the other one was chopped off after he was caught stealing from his associates. One of my best friends had a connection with someone who grew all the named stuff, and I think Northern Lights 5 x Haze was always the best. I had another guy who used to ship in weed from Canada and the Pacific Northwest, but I donā€™t know what any of it was. Just damn good weed. If I remember right, a lot of that PNW weed had a strong body high. That guy also used to get some imports from New York, which I remember had a sneaky effect. At first you thought it sucked, but then you were laughing hysterically and acting like a goon. A different friend and his dad brought some Jamaican seeds back after a vacation, but they didnā€™t grow very good and so were dismissed. Lots of people grew what they had in their backyard, and it was all pretty much unknown. People didnā€™t pay attention to it like they do now, or maybe they just didnā€™t care. Weed was weed, and you just had good weed or bad weed.

5 Likes

is that different that the standard deathstar cut that was circulating around dispensaries a few years ago? if theyre the same, shoudnt be too hard to find. those ā€œcommodity kushā€ cuts that yield well and are easy to trim tend to live on long after the dispensaries stop carrying that cut. maybe strainly?

2 Likes

Nice to catch another DC native, rare breed these days. Itā€™s become more of a ā€œtransitionalā€ place for people to live before finally settling elsewhere. Seems like you got some years on me since Iā€™m barely into my 30ā€™s, you know anything of the weed scene in DC from the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s?

2 Likes

I started smoking in 83 and had limited sources. We got a lot of red haired skunk as it was called then and then there were generic green mids or brick weed from downtown by the 20 sack. By the 90s the brick weed had been replaced by what everyone just call kind bud. It meant anything that had some kick and a few trichomes lol. Everything was kind bud and prices went from 30-40 a quarter to 60-80 a quarter. Iā€™d kill for some of those Skunk seeds we tossed away back then. I moved out in my 30s when I joined the service and settled in the mountains down in VA as DC had become way too expensive to live in unless you had some serious money. I miss the DC that used to have the Beach Boyā€™s playing for the mall fireworks on Fourth of July. Iā€™m the fourth generation in our family to be born there. My ancestors moved there after the Civil War and almost 100% of my extended family still lives there or just outside of the city. I love visiting but after 20 plus years living in the country I canā€™t stand the traffic.

6 Likes