ReikoX's 1998 Jeep XJ Rebuild

…there will ALWAYS be a 'loose :upside_down: nut’ behind the wheel…

:evergreen_tree: :laughing: :tools:

6 Likes

Got the Jeep out in the woods for a camping trip. We did a small easy forest run.

19 Likes

Not really any work on the Jeep, but I got a new (to me) shed for my Jeep parts.

Feels good to get that transmission and two transfer cases out of the yard.

15 Likes

Then when the jeeps done you’ve always got another grow space! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

:relieved: that’s definitely one aspect of my old car hobby/obsession that I’ve never missed; When I had to move it meant trailers & selling things on craigslist & donating/recycling. :rolling_eyes:

20 years of hindsight means I sympathize with the neighbors who didn’t like me much. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

10 Likes

When the Jeep is done, funny one.

Though I am thinking of putting my toolbox in there and freeing up some space in my workshop.

13 Likes

I had a 79 CJ5 that I finally let go it was lifted with 36inch cepek tires and at my age I could not get in and out very well so on to the next young fellow. Never get what we put into them but it was fun to rebuild her.

5 Likes

Have you got to experience death wobble yet? Lol

3 Likes

Ha Not sure if you mean me or not
I have had the front brakes get all funky on me when trying to stop and the front end would go all over the road .

Now that I think about this
I get that wobble every morning on my way to the bathroom LOL

4 Likes

It did have one of these airhorns LOL

Wow, lots of fun! I love jeep’s and jeeping. I grew up in the midwest with 4x4’s trail rides and mud runs. I currently only own a cj-7 that i put a yj drive train under. engine, trans, transfer and axels. I had like 6-7 jeeps at one time. My favorite was my my modified rubicon with a tummy tuck. I even had a jeep club here years ago.

5 Likes

Reikox What shed is that?
3 or 4 foot wide I like it and may need one

1 Like

No not yet. The steering box is leaking fluid everywhere though. Thinking I’ll replace it with the bigger one from a Durango.

It’s a 4x6 shed. It was given to me, so I dont know the brand or price.

I haven’t done much to the Jeep lately, but I did take it to the lake a few weeks ago.

8 Likes

Lol if you’ve had death wobble you’d know it… you’re driving down the road minding your own business when all of a sudden it feels like you’re driving through a 9.9 earthquake and the world is falling out below you. The looks on other drivers faces is priceless when it happens lol

4 Likes

9 Likes

Strange but true… I had a BMW 2002 that liked to ‘yaw’ on the z-axis over about 50mph. On it’s last drive I had to cross a windy bridge over a bay & it was what would be white-knuckle conditions but I had to allow the steering wheel to slide about an inch back & forth because a firm grip made the oscillations worse. Got it home & broke the diff.

Fun car. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

The only time I have ever felt death wobble with my Jeep was when winter wheeling and not bothering to clean the snow out of my rims prior to hitting the highway…

2 Likes

Pro tip… if you get death wobble at highway speeds smash the brakes hard as you can (jeeps dont stop good enough to skid) … or sometimes you can power through it lol ask me how I know

3 Likes

They do if you upgrade the rear brakes to disk brakes. Ask me how I know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes