ReikoX's Workshop 2022

That’s right, pure hash rosin. No solvents, just ice, water, heat, and pressure. :+1::seedling:

I have a thing against smoking anything I didn’t make/grow myself.

31 Likes

will be interesting to see how they work out, id say good thing we talked about it :wink: lol

I just need to stop being a cheap ass and get on with buying a decent press

11 Likes

Sorry my friend, but I do have another pesky question.
So, I use all my used discs in moonshine - this is the cleanest alcohol for me, so I put them all in a big bowl and put enough to cover, then I just leave the bowl in front of an oscillating fan, it is nice and dry within 24 hrs.

It comes out as hardish oil - could this be pressed using two bags to make the required material to put in a jar and make the juice for the cartridge?

Thanks in advance
Z

3 Likes

It will work with ethanol extractions, but you have to winterize it first. You do this by putting the extract in the freezer 24-48 hours after filtering out the herb, but before evaporating the alcohol. This will cause the fats and lipids to precipitated out of solution. The fats and lipids can then be filtered with a coffee filter. Reduce it to an oil in front of the fan like normal, then proceed with the decarboxylation step.

24 Likes

Great work, love seeing your workshop!

4 Likes

Many Thanks Reiko - very helpful
Z

3 Likes

Why do you decarb the oil? Isnt the THCA converted to THC at vaping temps?

3 Likes

Decarboxylation is done to prevent the THCA from crashing out of solution.

16 Likes

I have no idea how I missed Reiko’s threads up until now. He’s always the one like in the grow diary that I post. I went looking for one of his posts to thank him for his support.

You have impressive gardening skills, Mr. Reiko. Thanks for following along in my humble grow diary.

:smiley:

8 Likes

Learned a lot from reiko as well! Love his thread! Welcome!

7 Likes

I’m very interested in these diy carts. But I also hate the tolerance I build using them. Although they have their place for me where I can’t bring flower or paraphernalia, easy to conceal.

Roughly how much would one be looking at piecing together their own press? I havent looked too far into it other than looking at nugsmasher a while back. I figure I can built the stand easily, have access to a mig whenever I want.

And back to the s1 thing. From your experience what have you seen for differences in progeny from a selfed plant versus a sister plant that was hit with reversed pollen? I guess s1 vs s2 progeny. I ask because I have some fem seeds that I’m low on and would like to produce some more in the future.
I’ve read that feminizing a feminized plant can in time have detrimental effects but that’s beside the point for me at this time. I have one seed I have no choice but to self, but others I have a few seeds of.

6 Likes

I spent about $300 to make mine in 2016. I don’t know how much one could do it for now. I’ve debated upgrading to the the Lowtemp Plates V2 with the BVA hand pump, but it’s in the $2,500 price range.

From the research I’ve done, an S1 is similar to an F2. So both should be pretty similar.

Selfing repeatedly over generations can cause deleterious (undesireable) traits to stack. Cannabis is an obligate outcrosser, like humans. This means that to procreate they require two individuals. Because it is an obligate outcrosser, it has no way to deal with these deleterious traits.

There really is no such thing as a feminized plant, it is just a female plant, it doesn’t matter where the pollen came from at this point. So reversing (femininizing) a female (feminized) plant is not so different than reversing a female plant.

The only thing missing from breeding with an all female population is the Y chomosome. Which, when you think about it, is moot because we don’t grow out the males anyway.

Hope that made sense, it’s late and my dab is kicking in. :wink:

25 Likes

Yessir, thank you! Have a good night.

Edit: I was looking at it all wrong. When I said S2, I should have been thinking R1. But your answer still answers my question.

4 Likes

Some of the plants are not doing so hot. It is likely a combination of me turning up the lights and the plants shifting into a seed production mode. The dichondra isn’t helping either, that stuff had totally overrun the beds.

I lowered the light back levels down to 70% and will see how they will react.

44 Likes

How tall does j-low get? Have you seen the little auto I have. It’s about 8 or 9 inches tall. Just curious. I know I should tag. I’m scared it’s going to hemie on me I’m going to put it in the cabinet I have. I mean grow male parts. Nice grow. Also @ReikoX when making hash with liquor can you use a crockpot? I did years ago. Denatured alcohol. Is that the same as the ever clear?

5 Likes

It depends, but generally smaller plants about 18-24" tall if given ample root space.

The method I use uses the freezer. So no, I wouldn’t use a croc pot for alcohol extractions.

Yes and no. It has stuff added to it to denatured it, making it harmful to swallow. Generally it is something like methanol, but it could be any number of unknown chemicals. I wouldn’t risk it, everclear is food grade.

12 Likes

Cool thanks for the information. I’ll read out on it. @ReikoX it easy? I’m not as young. My age is. I’ll get fixed up here soon.

3 Likes

I am finally getting around to upgrading my AC Infinity T-8 fan with a
Controller 67 brain and I wonder if you would be so kind as to share your settings?

Temp and RH are easy enough, but I’m curious what Trigger points you use? Also not sure how/whether to use the “Transition” settings or just let her rip when a Trigger value is hit. Any other options you find useful?

Oh yeah, I’d love to nestle the Temp/RH probe among my plants but the cable isn’t near long enough. Where do you position your sensor, and do you use the calibration offsets to try and mimic what’s happening at plant level?

I appreciate the new controller functionality, and having a VPD readout directly is great. But that damned BlueTooth connection isn’t strong enough to reach very far outside the grow room. Why they didn’t pop for a WiFi chip is beyond me.

I hope this isn’t off topic and I thought others might appreciate the info.
-Grouchy

4 Likes

To be honest, I have not played with any of the advanced features with it. I set temp and humidity setpoints. Fan max is 5, 0 when off. I just let it ramp up like the normal one does. No alarm settings or day/night settings.

Mine just sits next to the wall, it seems to be close enough for my needs. I don’t mess with the calibration settings.

Really, I only use the Bluetooth so I don’t have to go into the flower room when I change settings.

11 Likes

Solid, thanks.

Do you keep Temp & humidity steady all grow? What are your target Veg & Flower & harvest temps?

5 Likes