Optimizing production for the new year
It's getting to be the end of the year in my workshop. I like to reflect back and see if there are any areas for improvement.
I currently have two different flowering areas that I am trying to maintain. My main cab has my no-till bed and a 250W DIY LED. I have been getting around 100 grams per cycle. Typically, I would get rooted clones and start vegging them in there for three or four weeks before flipping to 12/12. Then they would get flowered for nine or ten weeks. Then I would dry them in there. Often, I would have to wait a couple more weeks for the next round of clones to root before being able to reset. This basically makes a cycle take roughly four months, or three harvests per year. 300 g/year is not cutting it. By simply drying in another area and resetting immediately, I should be able to get a fourth harvest in each year, even at 100 grams per cycle, that's an increase of 33%!
Looking back at my notes, I had a good harvest in February with some nice buds. Then I got my autos in there a mere three days later! The next cycle was the auto seed run. I ended up with about 75 grams of seed and 50 grams of ground up cannabis that got made into hash. That was the middle of April. Then I decided to build my DIY COBs and my cab spent about 30 days without any plants in it at all. The next round started in May and ended in August yielding another 100 grams or so. Then I decided to upgrade to no-till and the cabinet spent ANOTHER 25 days with no plants in it while I got rid of my thrips issues. This last harvest will not complete before the new year, but should be around the second week of January. I only harvested about 250 grams out of that cab this year.
This is the reason I built that second cab at the end of last year. I started out the year running a perpetual SOG on the left side and cycles on the right. On the left side, I was running the perpetual SOG coliseum up until May or so, I'm not quite sure how much that yielded. The workload running 30 plants in a perpetual coliseum was just to much for me, so I decided to try running cycles on both sides about two months apart. I put some autos in there in May, and they ended up being mostly males, so I put the Jilly Bean girls in there to veg as they flowered. The Jilly Bean girls and auto flowers were harvested in September yielding about 75 grams between them. I was able to reset immediately putting the Bubba Kush S1 in there. Those will be harvested in a couple of weeks and I expect them to yield about 25 grams. Three weeks after that should be the Zak Haze and again another 25 grams. If I can keep up 25 gram harvests every three weeks, that will end up with 425 grams per year. On the right side, I started up some Holy Grail 69 in January and harvested it in April. That yielded about 50 grams, then that side ended up empty for about 30 days. In May I started some Zak Haze and harvested in August. That yielded another 50 grams or so, then I got it reset in a mere five days for the BBK S1. Around this time I decided to start running the left side perpetual again, so this side became my veg side. So by the end of this year, the second cab should yield about 225 grams this year.
The filing cabinet had two boon harvests. One was Zak Haze for 60 grams and the party cup hempys yielded about 20 grams. All totaled up I harvested about 550 grams this year. My goals for this year are to reset my cabinets quicker and possibly increase my yield per harvest. I hope to break 1000g this year. My legal limit is 230 grams every four months, so close enough to 1000g/year.