ReikoX's Workshop

You agree a minisplit is overkill for <1000 watts of lighting? Or you agree I should do a minisplit.

2 Likes

100% over kill

a portable unit would do just fine

a hermetically sealed room is nice but not necceary at all esp for a 1000 watt op

Once u get to 8-16000w yes sealed room and mini split

2 Likes

I love a.c overkill!

where would you put it? in this room ?

4 Likes

The window unit I have now is behind me in this photo, the larger window unit will still fit (itā€™s a big window). The whole room is 10ā€™x10ā€™ I plan to build two 4ā€™x4ā€™ rooms with about 500-watts of LED each and a 2ā€™x4ā€™ drying closet. Iā€™m still on the upgrading power step.

2 Likes

You want 6000 BTU per 1000 watt and thatā€™s with HPS open hoods and considering fans giving off heat, other things etc

with LEDS I would assume would wouldnā€™t even need that

I would just get a 12000 btu portable AC (this can also be done in sealed rooms if u want they have ones that donā€™t directly exhaust just the heat. a lot of nicer window units do the same thing)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s still over kill (within reason) and will cool the room easily and you will still have room for expansion

thatā€™s my reccomendation idk something to consider

1 Like

So this just happenedā€¦ Thanks to @anon58740919 and @Robin for turning me on to these Sonoff switches. The work bench is getting an upgrade :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the route I will likely take. Iā€™m excited and have been squirreling away money for the upgrade. The A.C. will likely be the second upgrade after power.

3 Likes

They may be overkill in one way, but having extra power will allow you to raise the lights higher above the canopy and still have plenty of light on the plants. Having the strips further away will make for a better spread, so more even lighting all across and at the edges of the canopy.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think better spread is required when using the strips.

I really like having my lights static mounted. It simplifies things for me lol.

1 Like

Yeah, it still applies. Not as much as with COBā€™s, because the strips already have the LEDā€™s spread out - but only in one direction.

IIRC, the LEDā€™s in SolStrips have a ā€œconeā€ of 120 deg - BUT - the light intensity is not uniform across the entire width of the cone. The lights are brightest directly under the LEDā€™s and it drops off in a non-linear way as you move out from the center.

Here is the graph.

The 120 degree angle is chosen because thats the point at which the light intensity has dropped to 50%. Actually, its less than 50% - more like 45%.

So, at the edges of that cone the light is less than 1/2 of what it is in the center, directly under the LED.

That means that you get more even coverage the further away the light source is from the canopy. The problem with moving the light further away is that the light intensity falls off as the square of the distance.

Thats why its good to have extra power available - you can move the lights further away to get more uniform coverage and still have enough light intensity on average.

5 Likes

I also purchased a WiFi LED Controller so I will be able to dim my lights from my phone.
https://aquarium-led-controller.com/product/bluefish-led-controller/

12 Likes

Talk about tech! It amazes me how fast technology is developing. Exponential!

1 Like

Those reef tank guys are a few years ahead on LED tech. Iā€™m excited to play with it, Iā€™ll post my ā€œreviewā€ later. :thumbsup: :seedling:

4 Likes

Is this grow area in your basement?

If so, I would consider the AC a longer term investment and more worthwhile than you are giving it credit for, :wink:

1 Like

A guy on ig builds a box with that on it a light controller temperature controller and other controls pretty cool

1 Like

Here are this weekā€™s harvest, Jilly Bean #4. These will be the last run of this pheno. Iā€™m thinking this may go straight to rosin, not sure. Nice fat single colas though.

Making a batch of malted barely tea, and my puppy is helping me with quality control.

Here is a whole screen shot of the Durban Poison. On the left I have a clone of the male that was removed from that spot. I am going to let him start to flower then move his upstairs to collect some pollen. I also have some other seedlings Iā€™m trying to see sex on early.

So far I am very impressed with the way this girl is looking. Sheā€™s already putting on some frost. To be honest, I have no idea how old they areā€¦ :grin: :laughing: :joy:.

Edit: they are about five weeks since I flipped them to 12/12.

30 Likes

Purps and frosty. Nice bro. The sonoff works after a lot of electrical noobery from myself lol. Canā€™t wait to see what you do with yours. Iā€™m already plotting sunrises and sunsets with mine. Wish I got B drivers and some kind of pwm pots alongside the sonoff POW. Pretty much everything the bluefish can do without wishing that Iā€™d found it first and making my sonoffs redundant to the cause lol

Edit
Lemon haze got me high af but you might get the jist of what Iā€™m saying at least :joy: stoners seem to understand

6 Likes

http://ewelink.coolkit.cc/?p=200

What dya reckon to this @ReikoX

1 Like