Reliable Safe Clip On Fan

I have 2 of these and like them very much

10 Likes

I bought like a dozen cheap ones from walmart online. They were 12 bucks each and I think the brand was better living. Shockingly Iā€™ve had zero issues with any of them and several have been running steady the whole time. I think theyā€™re a year or so old now.

8 Likes

Honeywell ht900.

4 Likes

Those are ok and used them for years but eventually do start to make noise.

2 Likes

The ones I use only white

5 Likes

looks like everyone is in the same boat eh. I used a monkey fan from secret jardin thought it had a good design on the pole easy to move and stayed out of the way, but after a few months started squeaking sound then just stoped a day later.

I picked up a fan off amazon made by AC Infinity AXIAL 1751 Standard Cooling Fan. Got it hanging on chains seems to work good doesnā€™t heat up at all and has made it 6 months no problems, but it has a very loud humming to it and can be heard throughout the house. I sent a message to ac infinity and asked if they could make a reliable tent fan and they replied back saying they were working on some new products. that was back in December.

3 Likes

or even some of these might work

https://www.vornado.com/product-category/circulators-fans

Iā€™ve thought about getting one of these commercial fans and putting it on the floor. It would be perfect if the Honeywell fans would oscillate.

Clip on fans are mostly not so great, we put a man on the moon 50 years ago but itā€™s hard to get good fans. When mine crap out theyā€™re being replaced by 120v PC fans. Much smaller profile, too.

4 Likes

I went through a similar selection process three years ago. All the clip-on fans had bad ratings so I went with a larger one that I knew worked.

A 12", 3 speed, desk oscillating fan, $20 CDN from Lowes. I had to fab. a shelf but it has been running about 20/7 for 3 years now. I did an overhaul on it in Dec. guts looked fine (a bit more gear lash than when new) re-greased it (didnā€™t really need it). Iā€™d guess itā€™s good for another couple years yet.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I think I found my final fan purchase for my tents. Famous last words, I know, but this has been in use for a while now and itā€™s the best option Iā€™ve found for my larger tents. Iā€™ve been through so many that just suck. Tried many different configurations for good airflow but this seems to be the best ratio of wattage to airflow and number of fans. Only time will tell but Iā€™m optimistic.

Itā€™s a hurricane 12" oscillating wall mount model with tilt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XQKKP22?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Here it is in my 4x4 making all the ladies shake their tail feathers. Just drilled a few holes through the base so I could zip tie it to the tent poles.

6 Likes

I have a standard cheap box fan zip tied about 3" down from the top of my tent. I run it slowed way down using a dimmer/speed controller. Its outlasted two other small fans I have used in the tent.

I can vary the speed as needed depending on how much exercise I think the babies need, and the humidity level as they grow.

I have it blowing UP rather than down so the air moves along the sides of the tent and doesnt blast the babies too directly.

6 Likes

You can get 1/2 conduit tee and some conduit pipe and slide the tee over the tent poles and use the screw to tightened it down and cut the conduit pipe to size. Now you can mount any fan on each side.

I use to use Honewell fans although they eventually go as fans are not designed to run 24/7 and be expected to last years.

4 Likes

Great tip!..

1 Like

You might have to get longer bolts for the cap to go all thee way down or drill some hold at the tee ends and screw into the poles. The longer screws makes it adjustable.

2 Likes

has anyone used a Vornado fan the look like they would fit in a tent. this is then im looking at

https://www.amazon.ca/Vornado-PIVOT3C-Compact-Circulator-Multi-Surface/dp/B081W86KX4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Vornado+clip&qid=1589143520&sr=8-1&srs=7796283011

1 Like

That looks kind of interesting. Good reviews and a five year warranty. Seems to only be a 1.5 inch blade though and it costs $45. If I canā€™t find anything else, I might give it a try since I like to run a few small fans in my 4x2 tent.

Iā€™ve never used their fans in a tent but Iā€™ve used a couple of their fans in various rooms of a house etc. and they worked well and lasted forever. However 45$ seems pretty steepā€¦ Itā€™s even more expensive elsewhere though :thinking:

If the fan really lasts 5 years and doesnā€™t cause a fire it would be worth it for sure.

1 Like

I have killed 4 of the 6 clip fans i bought roughly 18 months ago, the last one that died just stopped turning but was still drawing power, and was it ever hot, pretty sure if i hadnt noticed in a couple more hours there would of been fire

2 Likes

This looks like the fan Iā€™ve been waiting for:

3 Likes