Replacing 1000watt hps light with LED

I have not used this light, but I almost bought it today.
Dr M J Coco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLRAQ2RwNPo&ab_channel=DrMJCoco

3 Likes

There is no replacement for an HID!!

6 Likes

Not with gavita 1700e lol… all the way to edge… but that’s a $1300 light :upside_down_face:

I disagree bro

4 Likes

Here’s a great example of my 5x7 grow space with 22-24 plants in veg before I moved em to flower. Had 5 lights in there of a mix of quantum and blurple, blurple units were 600w bloomspect, a single 600 watt philzon(don’t recommend) and the 2 quantum’s are viparspectra vb1000

I started a thread on LED Black Friday deals. Hopefully you see something you like :fire::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

How big are your plants and how deep do the lights penetrate?

1 Like

This is why ppl get so confused with these, manufactures rate theirs all different ways, some figure (100) 10watt leds make 1000 watts, some exaggerate and say it’s equivalent to a 1k watt hps calling it a 1k, some do actual wattage from the wall. But reality is at the wall wattage doesn’t always mean performance either. I’ve got a 1500watt viparled that pulls 330 at the wall and the 2 viparspectra vb1000 that pull 100 each and the pair of those will out perform my viparled all day long with 130 less watts at the wall. End of the day it comes down to what the end goal is and the size of the canopy someone is trying to cover and paying attention to what the suggested rating of cover space the light is , if I was purchasing lights all over again I’d be doing em all quantum boards and wouldn’t be above the 40-50 dollar units in bloomspect or bloom plus or just keep sniping some more of the viparspectra ones on eBay for 50-60 each had no problem getting some great results with my setup in veg as u can see getting 4-5 ft plants in about 2 months vegging indoors. Here’s a couple pics of them now with some 3 weeks and some 5 weeks into flower in my greenhouse now( I let natural sunlight hrs do my flowering)

1 Like

The plants in that room in the first pic are the same plants your seeing in the 2 green house pics. My greenhouse sidewalls come up 4 ft and the loft is at 6 ft so that should give some good ref for size

2 Likes

I start and finish indoors, no greenhouse for this guy. … yet lol. But I grow 4 plants per light,that finish between 3-5 feet tall.
I know there’s good leds but the price I would have to pay to get what I wanted done makes me nervous lol that’s why I’m always asking about different leds hopefully I see the results before I have to dump that kind of money

3 Likes

I sort of agree with you, watts from the wall does not mean much if they use crap components. When speaking of quality led’s and and a quality build than watts from the wall is a good reference. In the end what matters is the light they put out. Vegging plants can be done under most led lights with no issues. Once you get into flowering it tends to separate the good from the crap. I would recommend my HLG 600 Rspec or a 650 Rspec to anyone looking to replace a 1000w MH/HPS system as I did it with great results. I am so far impressed with the Mars FC6500 but would not recommend it yet as I have not flowed with it. I will reserve judgement on that one until my run is done. That said the readings it gives me off my quantum meter say it will do great. As mentioned before though, both the lights I am talking about are pretty pricey.

4 Likes

Well I was def stretching it further than that then, I had 24 under the 5 lights with excellent growth. I ran 24hr though, my setup doesn’t have a good way to black out for darkness hours which is what dictated that decision and also why I don’t flower indoors. Take any of this advice I give you is prob best for veg suggestions only, I’m sure your gonna want to add some red spectrums and some extra lighting for flowering cycle though

1 Like

That makes total sense. You can spend a ton on top brand led’s. Thankfully I got my Mars for free :slight_smile: I still feel the sting from buying my HLG but don’t really regret it.

1 Like

Hlg’s 3 big dogs on sale right now. For reference they state the 650r is their first direct 1 to 1 replacement for 1000w hps.

Missed the 600r in that first post.

1 Like

Right from HLG Canada page taken a second ago.

4 Likes

I’m staying away from mars hydro, I picked up 2 of their tsl 2000’s over 400$ each. I had eBay blurples that worked just as good.

I want to try photobio when I get the balls to dump the cash. Over 700 actual watts and they have a model for veg and one for flower. Also one that does both but I think that’s where a lot of the issues come from with leds.

1 Like

Def gonna have to agree having quality LEDs is the biggest thing to pay attention to,I’ve also learned to watch led count too, for example a bloom plus 1k has a lower led count than a viparspectra 1k so that must mean less light produced on the bloom plus even though both are rated same canopy, for being the cheapos the ones I mentioned still are packed with Samsung 301 leds. I think your right I’m prob not seeing issues arise since my flowering is done under natural light outdoors and that’s when the lighting really is gonna make a direct impact on buds producing and stacking. Like I mentioned in my last comment, my suggestions/advice is gonna be most applicable to vegging plants and really just comes down to someone’s actual needs for it

2 Likes

There is a large assortment from 30 to 60 percent off at Growgreenmich.

1 Like

I would have agreed with you about Marsh a couple years ago but not any more. The light they recently sent me is killing it and in a class of it’s own compared to previous ones.

Current plants under that light.

7 Likes

Got some mighty fine gals in that tent

4 Likes