Replacing 1000watt hps light with LED

Hlg’s 3 big dogs on sale right now. For reference they state the 650r is their first direct 1 to 1 replacement for 1000w hps.

Missed the 600r in that first post.

1 Like

Right from HLG Canada page taken a second ago.

4 Likes

I’m staying away from mars hydro, I picked up 2 of their tsl 2000’s over 400$ each. I had eBay blurples that worked just as good.

I want to try photobio when I get the balls to dump the cash. Over 700 actual watts and they have a model for veg and one for flower. Also one that does both but I think that’s where a lot of the issues come from with leds.

1 Like

Def gonna have to agree having quality LEDs is the biggest thing to pay attention to,I’ve also learned to watch led count too, for example a bloom plus 1k has a lower led count than a viparspectra 1k so that must mean less light produced on the bloom plus even though both are rated same canopy, for being the cheapos the ones I mentioned still are packed with Samsung 301 leds. I think your right I’m prob not seeing issues arise since my flowering is done under natural light outdoors and that’s when the lighting really is gonna make a direct impact on buds producing and stacking. Like I mentioned in my last comment, my suggestions/advice is gonna be most applicable to vegging plants and really just comes down to someone’s actual needs for it

2 Likes

There is a large assortment from 30 to 60 percent off at Growgreenmich.

1 Like

I would have agreed with you about Marsh a couple years ago but not any more. The light they recently sent me is killing it and in a class of it’s own compared to previous ones.

Current plants under that light.

7 Likes

Got some mighty fine gals in that tent

4 Likes

What strain is your last pic? I like the shape of those leaves. They are different

1 Like

Thanks, those are BOG Sour Bubble for my current seed run. Pulled out the 5 Grape Punch to keep some spacing. That light is only at 50% right now.

My last bud run was 4 plants under the HLG 600 and produced this.

12 Likes

What’s your grow method? Organic soil or Coco w/nutes? Those are nice and chunky

1 Like

I use a mix of 70/30 coco/perlite with GH nutes and Epsom Salt. For reference that tent gave me this for that run rollitup

11 Likes

Those leaves strike a close resemblance to the love missile I’m growing, just a lil fatter, plate is the 10 3/4"

2 Likes

Very nice. Here is one with standard trimmers for scale. They have grown a bit since. I can only imagine what they would have done if I let them grow but I kept them small for my seed run.

4 Likes

Geez that’s a nice haul! Those quart jars got 2 oz each? Very nice! I’ll be looking just as stacked around Christmas with these 27 plants coming in around then, organic soil in 10 gallon pots so prob gonna average a QP a plant (shit I’m gonna be in trim prison forever)

1 Like

Honestly I think that about the same size as mine here! Size of someone’s face!

1 Like

LOL, yeah the work never ends but at least we can be high :slight_smile: Those were just 4 plants in a 4x4 tent, I usually limited it to 4 for space. 2 Maui Waui and 2 Shiva Skunk.

LOL, yeah, I was going to laminate one but it won’t even come close to fitting.

Hey @Upstate , sorry to derail your thread bud. Didn’t mean to get talking, I will be quiet and let this get back on track :v:

3 Likes

I’m running a Mars fce 4800 (480w) in my 4x4 flower tent, it works well enough, but I think the 1000w hps did a bit better but I think most of the 650w+ bar lights are equal to the 1000w hids

1 Like

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like I need 600 actual watts LED to replace 1000 watts Hps? The hlg 600 is 600 actual watts?
I haven’t bought a light since the late 90’s when an hps system was undisputed king. I’m really out of the loop. I appreciate the help.
My budget is $500. Less would be great but I’d spend a tad more if its a killer setup. My plants are always getting at least 3 feet tall with bending or folding. They want to be taller, so decent light penetrarion would be a must. My ceiling is right around 8 feet tall.
Remember…I’m an uneducated simpleton when it comes to these fancy new lights. I don’t know wha5t qualities make for a good led light. Last time i was looking at LED lights the UFO had just come out.
I recall something about individual bulb wattage being important. Maybe less more powerful bulbs is better than more less powerful bulbs?

3 Likes

Yeah, jerk! You got my phone all covered in drool by showing that stack of jars​:rofl::joy::rofl:. Nice harvest!
What light is that you used? Marsh? They had a poor rep before?

2 Likes

Hey bud, yes the HLG 600 is an actual 600 watt light and the Mars 650 Watt I showed is actually 650. When it comes to LED’s these days Samsung 301b or 301h seem to be the top diodes and are used in most top brands. The h was the horticultural version.

2 Likes