Return to growing after almost 20 years..

Thank you. Definitely found something to do with free time now. :slight_smile: I forgot how much work this is…

1 Like

you have got that right. it is work but it is peaceful and always rewards you around harvest time

2 Likes

Week 6 of flowering

Well it has been a challenge for sure with the first grow after 20 years.

This is the first time I have grown in octopots. My less is more with nutes I feel had a negative impact on this grow. I should have followed the directions on the TPS 1 instructions and fed them as directed. I think the yield will be off some because of this. I think I screwed the pooch on this… It is almost a little too late to worry about nutes at this point but I went back to following the directions. The buds on the GG are still throwing pistils so this is a good sign it is not locked up. This week will be the last week for nutes as I will be flushing the last two weeks. I don’t think the gorilla glue is gonna go 9-10 weeks. Which brings me to the next point.

I have some purple stems on the gorilla glue along with yellow leaves down low which is a sign of nute deficiency. . The purple steams can also be too much light. I have 3 - 5x4 LEDS in a 5x5 tent. I think the lights might have also been a little bright. I might roll back to just two 4x5 lights in 5x5**. Anyone have thoughts on this?** It could also be the strain. I have never grown GG before and I know they can have some purple steams but I think I have a nute issue here among other things.

The environment (garage) has been a challenge for sure. Big Temp and Humidity changes have plagued this grow. In the past I mostly grew in basement or under a house. I did not have huge temp flux like I have with this grow. One thing I did was to start opening the garage door to the house since the garage is insulated expect for the door and cool the environment down that way. The ac unit in the tent just cant keep up when the temps are 95+ degrees outside. Currently the temp is 71.f in tent w/ 39% humidity. Should have done this two weeks ago. I am considering getting a AC unit for the garage and pre-cool the air down before it gets in the tent. Thoughts on this?

Harvest will probably be middle of October… Yield is going to be effected though.

13 Likes

Not saying you don’t have deficiencies but some purple in the stems on the GG4 is fairly normal. At least in the version I’ve been growing. Especially on the stems of the fan leaves.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I got them on my wedding cake too just not as bad.

3 Likes

If your interested you can see the GG4 I’ve been growing here
Floyds tent village
I’ve also just started using Octopots too. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Floyd Is it true that GG looks like it slows down like week 5-6 and then the last 2 weeks it hail mary’s and bulks up?

3 Likes

It does seem like they slow but they really bulk up. I have been chopping mine between 60 and 65 days. I found they would really get solid and heavy in the last couple weeks. My last harvest I got just over a LB of buds from four plants.

6 Likes

You might want to consider making a small, well insulated area to put your tent in that you can use the AC on, otherwise you could be wasting mega power because the tent itself isn’t very high in R value. So any cooling in the tent would be less efficient.

4 Likes

Prec the feedback @JoeCrowe … I am a System engineer by trade… This is in consideration… Pending cost analysis…

3 Likes

I live this also!
Sacrificed my side door.

I’m a new member of the Octoposse.

6 Likes

Oh wow… how much in materials did that cost you?

1 Like

The foam… It was roughly $20 per 4x8 sheet. Used 6 sheets to build the 4x8x8 flower box.

4 Likes

Week 7 of flowering….

Overall things are looking good. Starting to fatten up.

I think I caught the gorilla glue (Josephine) in time to save her. She has a lot of yellow but she is still spitting out Pistils. Seems Gorilla Glue has a lot of brown hairs so going by the White verse brown is not going to work. Checking on the Trichomes they look cloudy but not amber showing up yet. Another two weeks if she will stay alive that long. Flushing begins for her tomorrow.

The wedding cake is doing well I think and didn’t suffer from my octopot/Nute ignorance like Josephine did. This strain doesn’t really have the brown hair like the GG does. Looking at the Trichs they are cloudy but not real amber to show. I say she has another two weeks. Flushing begins for her tomorrow.

The two indica bag seeds that could well be 2000-2010 seeds are really turning out well. They are younger than the WC and GG plants by about 25 days. All were flipped the same time though. They have at least 3 weeks to go. Trichs look nice and cloudy but no real ambers are showing up yet. I did not top one of the plants and that beanstalk is still forming the base bud and spitting out Pistils. I think they have at least 2 more weeks if not 3. Will probably not start flushing these until the middle of next week or possibly next weekend. We will keep an eye on them.

12 Likes

…and the hits keep on coming

Lots of lessons learned. From Fox tailing, to extreme swings in temp, now spider mites. Yeah the first grow after 20 years has been challenging.

So while looking at the trich’s on the GG AND the WC plants I saw spider mites and web on one bud of each. Since I am in the 7.5 weeks of flowering and the Trich’s look mostly milky white I decided to wack these two branches.

I was going to try and wash this harvest so I went ahead and soaked those two branches. Going to keep my eye out for more of these little f’kers.

I was planning on chopping the GG a little early so there is no loss here. It was loss when I under fed it. I really don’t want to spray shit on my plants at this point being so close to harvest.

12 Likes

I don’t see any mites, do you know where they came from?

1 Like

These are just the pics i took before i found them trich hunting… I never took a picture of them as I cut the branch and drowned them immediately. I should have… They were there web and all. Have no clue where they came from other than I am in a garage.

1 Like

Update tomorrow going into 8 weeks into flowering… More lessons learned. #SyE

11 Likes

Well here we are week 8 of flowering…

Overall I am pleased but it has not been without challenges. I am going to break down each plant and what is up.

Gorilla Glue.
Poor Josephine… What a terrible grow husband I was to her. Her trichs look cloudy. Her biggest problem is she was underfed. I corrected the issue about ½ thru flowering but her leaves were yellowing and falling off. Yesterday I found spider mites on one of her buds so I chopped that branch and drown those little fk’rs. It was cool though as I had never washed by harvest before so I was going to do it this time. This branch ( and a wedding cake one too) let me practice washing before I got 4 plants and many branches to do. I do think I saw another web today but I did not see any mites or other webs. I am going to keep a close eye on her. If I see anymore mite she is getting chopped and they are getting drown. I think I also had my lights way way too bright during flowering. All four plants including this one show foxtails which is caused by light stress. I am use 3 LED’s in a 5x5 tent and turned up to 95% I just think it was way too much light. She starts her second week of flush.

Wedding Cake.
She was under fed as well but ended up much better I think. Her trichs are cloudy. She too had a bud with those mites on it. It too was wacked and washed. I don’t see as much foxtailing on her as she was not totally in the almighty brightness I had going on. If I see anymore mites on her she is gonna get wacked as well.

My two indicas from seed collection…
I got to be honest they are doing much better than the commercial wc and gg. They were fed the same as the other two but they were about 20-25 days younger when I flipped to flowering. They too show foxtails. This tells me that yes I most def had a too much light issue this grow. They have a couple more weeks and I started flushing them a couple of days ago. Trichs are cloudy.

Yield is going to be down but I predict a pound from four plants this grow. Next grow I won’t have all the issues I had with environment control.

10 Likes

make sure to clean up good, don’t want the fucking mites coming back in the next grow. Wash any clones really good.

4 Likes