Reveging male after collecting pollen?

I have a small male plant that I wish to collect pollen from ASAP for a female plant which is flowering, but I wish to continue growing the plant also.
Would it be possible to flower the male, collect pollen, then reveg?
I know it can be done with female plants, so figure it would work, but curious to see what other’s thoughts are on the idea.

Ps. The particular plant I wish to do this with is an Australian bastard cannabis hybrid called secret mutant.

3 Likes

Don’t see why that wouldn’t work, other than dealing with pollen while it reverts back to veg

1 Like

Yeah you can do that. I don’t know your goal but you can freeze your pollen for long term storage too.

i just did that. sexed them to see what they were, took clones and pollen, then re-vegged. thing is, i messed it up somehow and now after another 4 weeks of 18/6 they are still in flower, pollinated, and almost done without the 12/12 flip back. craziest thing i’ve ever seen, but i haven’t grown that much.

3 Likes

I’m gonna doing it now with a BOG strain…

3 Likes

I have heard people say they have revegged a male but I have never done it. I think your bigger problem would be the ABC plant genetics make them hard to force into anything. :rage:

1 Like

Revegging males is one of the best ways to check for stability. Lot of males seem stable until reveg, then all the hairs pop out.

Nevils Haze #21 x Mullumbimby Madness F2 flowered for 84 days

Then flipped lights back to veg. This is day 39 of reveg

And today, day 51 of reveg

A decent amount of males won’t reveg. They won’t even stay in veg. Finding really good males is hard :confused:

25 Likes

You could just pollinate with preflowers

4 Likes

That is amazing !:thinking:

1 Like

DJ short has also mention in his book, males that can revegg/regreen are the best to keep for breeding.
But I do agree that finding a male that can revegg is hard. But besides the obvious benefit of him being alive , his off spring should revegg better in the comming generations too. Maybe a root trim before flower could help your chances.
Best of luck.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t have problems doing that , most reveg , that’s a Muljane gold male above
Made some seeds already
And wanted more pollen … you can see I just snapped of the top half , pinched all the tops and he revegged in no problem

5 Likes

Yeah some lines are much better than others in that regard.

Lot of near modern stuff won’t even stay in veg. The males will flower once they hit maturity. Being able to keep a male in veg perpetually with no balls nor pollen dropping is a big deal. One that can take all the stress and reveg and not throw hairs is even better. If he’s frosty on top of that, you’ve basically hit the lottery.

7 Likes

Good advice, I was told to always trim up to HALF of roots. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Any pictures of the Secret Mutant… :smiley:

Are you saying males will autoflower in veg often? And if so, is that what’s happening here? This is a Devil’s Hashplant male that I culled a year ago but this thing was dropping male sacs onto the soil during veg.

1 Like

I have encountered some male require more then 18 hours of light to stay in veg.

1 Like

Interesting tip! Gotta try that out on my next batch.

1 Like

I will follow this thread. Saw a dying DC Male. Most resinous Male I ever saw… My made wasn’t able to reveg but he didn’t tried from heart :wink:

Fortunately he sends me some pollen :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Already said but it’s also useful to screen herms out ^^

4 Likes

Its not even just the Newer stuff some of the older stuff does it too.I have some UBC chemo going now and the males in that one even on 24 want to Fly.i popped the tops and tossed the tops in the fridge going to see if i can clone them in 7 weeks Trying to stall for time and these dudes wont stop popped anything with a sac and left the Tiny new stuff we shall see if he grows back

3 Likes