Rules for making F2 seeds to trade

Plant based planned obsolescence?

While I think what the statement is getting at is more often the result of random poly hybrids, at the large scale level of professional plant breeding I know this is happening for a fact.

This is just one example of something that is currently out there in hemp.

Monsanto could have made their seed sterile, instead they chose to let then pollinate neighboring fields so the could then force the neighboring fields to either pay or have their fields burned when they grow from seed they saved themselves.

A very large percentage of cannabis breeders do not have the skills or resources required to do such things. A large percentage of breeders of other plants, and those breeding cannabis or hemp at scale most certainly do.

5 Likes

IF a couple of you guys are unable to have a conversation without the slinging of insults or posting useless provocations, expect your posts to be removed in an unannounced fashion.

10 Likes

Yes I have heard about Monsanto introducing the ā€œkill geneā€ so you canā€™t reproduce seed, but thatā€™s coming to weed seed now too?

1 Like

@HaRdRoC ā€™m not sure about the kill gene that you speak of, but I know what youā€™re getting at.

They could have made their seed sterile, but for a long time(not sure if this has changed), they preferred it not to be. The purpose for this was when plants of theirs would drop pollen it would pollinate the neighboring fields. The next year Monsanto would test the plants from neighboring fields that didnā€™t buy seed. If they were saving seed there is a high % chance it got cross pollinated. When it comes back with their patented gene in it, they get a court order and have the field burned, because that gene is their property
That gene being round up ready

4 Likes

Cannabis male pollen is heavier then flower pollenā€¦the claims of it traveling miles and miles and pollinating other crops is complete nonsenseā€¦it generally doesnā€™t travel more then 100 yards or so.

So they are offering F1 seeds that somehow have been inbred?

Which specific traits?

Which breeders are doing this?

This doesnā€™t add up at face value, at all.

4 Likes

And this is the point Iā€™m getting at, it seems that itā€™s all gone to greed and wanting to profit off of cannibis and the love for just simply growing the plant is seriously being lost

2 Likes

Fair, noted.

@MantisTobogganMD I sorta agree with you on this one, absolutely no one making the seeds we buy is capable of gene editing in this fashion. It would be cost prohibitiveā€¦weā€™re talking major ag companies that are capable of doing this, and even that is far from perfect. Almost all the guys we buy seeds from are running a rinky dink little operation. Trust me on that one. Weā€™re closer to backyard dog breeders than patented processes requiring actual labwork and a team of scientists and technicians.

10 Likes

Lol yā€™all donā€™t use CRISPR for the back cross. Hahaha

7 Likes

Yeah letā€™s not turn this into trollitup.org that forum is garbage with the pack rat of trolls lurking around.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know man. With right gust of wind I bet it could go much further.

5 Likes

Canā€™t forget about beeā€™s and other pollinators. Nature has a system

10 Likes

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?journal=Journal+of+Industrial+Hemp&title=A+preliminary+study+of+pollen+dispersal+in+Cannabis+sativa+in+relation+to+wind+direction&volume=8&issue=2&publication_year=2003&pages=37-50&

3-10 miles depending on the paper published. Scholarly google has a bunch of them.

ā€œPollen distribution appeared to follow the expected leptokurtic curve, reducing rapidly with initial distance from the source, but much more slowly with increasing distance. This makes it impossible to guarantee complete absence of potentially contaminating pollen in the field and, for practical purposes, a very low amount of undesired gene flow needs to be toleratedā€

4 Likes

I have read several articles that has stated that cannabis pollen can travel 10 milesā€¦ā€¦,

No oneā€™s trolling you. Youā€™ve made a couple very bold, unsupported claims on a weed forum. This is just what happens.

IDK what you expected.

2 Likes

Sure there are a lot of variables that could potentially lead to the pollen traveling say 500 yards, with 30-50mph sustained winds and female crops downwind but as a general statement itā€™s 100 yards. I keep my stud breeder males outside of 100 yards until Iā€™m really pollinateā€¦and havenā€™t had any issues ariseā€¦there is no science backing up my claim or any other claim of how far cannabis pollen goes, the science is lacking because of the prohibitionā€¦I challenge you to try it for yourself. Iā€™ve been breeding cannabis for 2 decades.

I canā€™t find anything cannabis specific but a quick google says that pollen from grass (like lawn) can travel up to 21K away!

Iā€™ve had good results keeping pollen away from females using a no wind, closed door policy. The only contamination I get is when I manually apply the pollen.

1 Like

A lot of different factors come into play.

Wind speed, relative humidity where you grow, temperatureā€¦

They combine to degrade the pollen as well as affect how far the wind can carry it.

Here itā€™s rained every single day so far this month. 2 feet might be far enough.

100 yards MIGHT be just far enough where @xXTheWolfXx is, but not where others are.

Seems way too close to meā€¦

4 Likes

Itā€™s been done for more than decades.
I hate to guess the number of breeders that do this.
To not believe it is ludicrous.