Runt Seed Surprise!

I got a runt Girl Scout Cookies seed and was sure it hopeless… was ready to toss her in the trash after three weeks in the wet paper towel…

I KID YOU NOT… on the 24th day, I decided, “this is it… I give up… trash day is tomorrow…” took one last peek and low-and-behold!!! There was a root!!! A good one! Almost half an inch long!!!

I put her in some seed-starter and the next day, she stuck seed leaves out!!! She was kinda pale and weak looking, so I put her under stronger light, and the next day, she was taller, straighter and greener!

I hope she continues to be surprising and live up to her name!!

4/20 EDIT: Lulu is still alive and getting stronger every day. They change so fast at this stage!

4/27 EDIT: I didn’t know if I should put the pic up here where the comparison would be easier, or down below… so I did both!

05/04: Lulu is another week older!

05-11: We’re still here, still getting bigger every day!

28 Likes

@Reithel, even the runts can turn into something special.

8 Likes

I am here for the Runt…
Who doesn’t love a good runt comeback story after all…

8 Likes

You have Hope take a look at this mutant that’s coming back and fixing itself.Patience it will fix itself if it’s tough enough and wants to live.

17 Likes

I’ve never done this before and am fairly new to Overgrow… Any recommendations on how often I should post updated pictures?

Should I add them to the original post like I did on 4/20… or add them as separate Replies?

1 Like

You could start a thread like “Runts deserve love too” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
There is no limit to how many times you post, that is up to you.

3 Likes

Lulu’s progress this week:

9 Likes

Done something like this but with a tomato plant

Will be following along forsure

1 Like

Another week older… still alive!

4 Likes

She’s a Lulu, for sure! A little slow getting started but look at her go!!

Growing like a… (dare I say it??) :grin:

5 Likes

Lulu is growing so fast, I am adding extra pictures this week because she is graduating from her seedling cup to her growing cup… she had plenty of roots showing and was top heavy so I thought it was time. She will be joining her sisters in the tent tomorrow!

8 Likes

Another week older and still thriving!! She seems to like her larger container!

7 Likes

New pics, 5-26 (a day late this week - life happens! Lulu is sitting on top of her next container… looking at those roots, it won’t be long now! :grin:

6 Likes

Update 6-2: Decided to go for a mid-size upgrade for the new pot… frankly I just didn’t have enough room for another cat bucket at this time. Wanted Lulu to have some room to stretch her roots, so we reached this compromise.

Look how big she’s getting! Not bad for a runt seed so tiny I could barely see her and took over three weeks to pop a tap root!

6 Likes

Time for Lulu’s next photoshoot… I decided to put something next to her for perspective, (that’s a roll of paper towels on a wire stand), so it makes it easier to see just how much she has grown.

She will need a cat bucket before I know it! Wow… what a surprise she has been!!

8 Likes

This picture is a few days late… wanted to do both this one and Miss L.E.2 on the same day… you may notice a little larger amount of growth in this picture, since it’s been almost ten days. The paper towel roll helps show height perspective.

6 Likes

:clap: looking niceee

1 Like

Cat bucket upgrade yet? Just checking in :peace_symbol:

1 Like

@Dr.VitaminGreen

Soon! I don’t have room for another bucket right now, but older plants will be harvested soon, making room for young’uns. Will post when it happens. Thank you for your interest.

2 Likes