Sebring's Perpetual No-till Living Organics

He was the very 1st person here who talked to me, introduced me, helped me & talked with him daily for several weeks. Then he vanished. I have no idea why ( posable health issues ) but really no idea. I wish we could just know, for the sake of being worried for him :confused:

13 Likes

I had male flowers show up fairly early, like 4 weeks in on mine. I had to trash it. There were just too many to to risk it. Bummer because it looked and smelled amazing.

9 Likes

Hi @Howard.Crane

Those green watering lids is something I’ve been on the look for. What is the brand name so I can maybe find an European supplier?

2 Likes

Isn’t that Floraflex?

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woo, I’ve been busy!
A little update, besides the fact that the Spring Seed Run Co-op Boxes are in full swing and should be shipped soon. View the thread for more info.

I’ve been working my room full of autoflowers to progress the new auto strains I’ve been developing. Motormouth & one I can’t remember what we named (I’ll look for it later).

Now for some inspiration and hope for the future!
These are all going to be sun grown autoflower seed mothers and they should be ready to release in about 4 months. :crossed_fingers:t3:

• FD’s Haze (Mandalorian Genetics sent me these special)
  • Double Grape (Mephisto)
  • White Crack (Mephisto)
  • Loco Mota
  • Pineberry CBD
  • Fantasmo CBG
  • Jem CBG (Mandalorian Genetics sent me these special)
  • Thimbleberry (never before release auto from southern Washington state)

I threw in one Bramble Bush seed, because I haven’t grown it and have no real info other than it’s supposed to be good. (Same breeder that made the Thimble Berry)

The squirrel, Hammy, has made 2 squirrel friends and still visits me daily. The two ducks, Fern & Cloud, have rid my yard (and the 4 neighboring yards) of any bugs/slugs, so all signs are pointing to an epic grow season. (Willow was snatched by an eagle, so I installed overhead wires to prevent this, and Clover died instantly when my mother slipped and fell on her, R.I.P., which is just how life works.)
I’ve also installed a fully automated dripline irrigation system in the garden, and we’ve doubled our food production by planting the back yard with a bunch of vegetables.
The moral: live every day like it’s your last!

42 Likes

Berries from seeds? That’s cool but everything I’ve read says it takes a while for them to establish. I just picked up 4 new berries myself, two more dwarf blueberries, then a black and a purple raspberry. I got them as dormant plants

8 Likes

I have 2 currant bushes, 4 blueberry bushes, 3 thimbleberry bushes and 1 native blackberry. All of them ended up being purchased or gifted as plants with multiple years of growth already. Even having rooted plants, they all took a while to re-establish in my yard. The vining ones seem to be taking a lot longer than the thick woody bush types.

15 Likes

I’ve never had currants, their completely banned in my part of the state. I’ve tried unsweetened black currant juice though. Man was that strong stuff! I like it much more after it’s been fermented :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I am on my second year with my blue, black, and raspberry plants. Plus the new ones, strainaholic habit started with berries a few months before I started growing MJ again hehe.

9 Likes

Why would they be banned? Diseases?? Just curious.

Great to see you again, @Sebring! Glad to hear you’re staying busy. Here’s to a great spring! :beers:

5 Likes

Yes, the whole family of plants are host species to a disease that spreads to white pine trees. Until relatively recently, they were nationally banned. I’m in Maine, the pine tree state, big lumber industry. Up further where white pines aren’t the main type of trees, some currant varieties are allowed, but still not black currants.

8 Likes

I didn’t even look to see if currants were banned here. However, one of the currant plants I have is a direct clone of a wild currant I ran across and they sell them in nurseries (the real test for banned status). I tried to eat the currants, but they’re mostly seed. I have multiples because they bloom very early, giving my native bees an early food source, and they are just beautiful plants.

17 Likes

Glad you are providing for nature @Sebring . We always sway people from cleaning out their gardens until about now, in the Midwest, so the native bees and bugs can emerge. Many overwinter in the stems of native plants. We have been planting a food forest of natives, including aronia bushes, service berries, Golden currents, paw paw and persimmons, among other things. We try to stay away from plants that don’t belong, and could potentially take off and push out others. Let nature be your teacher. :green_heart:

13 Likes

I saw an article in the recent Maximum Yield mag (Aug/Sep 20) that has an article on the best plants for pollinators. I’m glad I saw it. I’m gonna try and find the best ones for my area and add something in. I have plenty of room.

3 Likes

Awesome man! Good on you. Mind if I ask what area? Maybe I can help. :green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

My grandparents had a black current tree in central Illinois; oh man does that make some killer jam. Had cherry jello mix in it I think.

But that tree never really produced much, must’ve been 10 years old maybe 8-10ft tall. Surprised they’re so invasive.

2 Likes

Not so much the invasive problem, they host a disease that kills white pine trees.

3 Likes

Awesome podcast :+1:

Listening to this guest felt like hearing myself talk!

Also, I got bit by a raccoon two days ago showing signs of rabidness. So, I’ve spent the last couple days getting the rabies vaccine and dealing with my hand that the doctors stabbed 12 times with an a needle of immunoglobulin to make absolutely sure I wasn’t going to die of rabies.
I was able to get the raccoon tested, or what was left of it when I got done with it, and it turned out to have distemper rather than rabies! (Humans can’t catch distemper.)
Catching up on emails as quickly as I can and contemplating what photoperiod plants I want to pop seeds for. I’m also trying to figure out what I should do with my personal stash of seeds, aka the backup seed vault, since I honestly won’t ever have the opportunity to plant most of them. There are just too many.
What does everybody think? Should I toss them all in the freezer for long-term storage? Or put them out into the community where they’re more likely to be used, while holding back a very small percentage that I know I might actually grow in the future?
I’m mostly of the opinion that if cannabis seeds are just sitting in a stash with way too many to ever plant, then they might as well be future mulch that just hasn’t made it to the compost pile yet.

29 Likes

Feed the masses I’d say save what you want to keep and purge the vault even if 25% get grown better than none .

10 Likes

That’s how we feel about seeds too. Our company doesn’t hold onto seeds for more than 2 years, just so there’s a good rotation, and they are still viable. We deal with seeds that are native to the Midwest though, much different than cannabis. But still, like you said, compost waiting to happen.

So I’d say keep what you really want and send the rest on their way.

Glad you don’t have to deal with rabies. That’s not fun. :green_heart::seedling:

10 Likes