Second ever grow, First Octopot grow!

Hey guys!

Just into my first Octopot grow and roots are really showing after 3 weeks. She started out as a clone cutting and just topped her this past Sunday.

When I first planted 2 cuttings, this is the one that just looked better. I decided to switch her twin sister out to a gifted Tiki Madman Zerbert that I took a cutting off of, but she didnt make it. So Electrify is flying this mission solo. Got Electrify clone from a friend of mine. Shes Lovin in Her Eyes genetics.

Last Grow (first Ever grow) I had five Plants, each in 5 gallon pots. Pulled just over 1 full pound dry from my 2x4.
I was hoping to pull one pound with two 6 gallon Octopots… Now Im hoping to pull 1 full pound with a single Octo-plant, lol.

I’m a bit nervous on this grow since Im very new to this and completely changing from regular pots to Octopot.

Rig rundown:
Gorilla 2x4 Tent, ProGrow 320 lamp, AC Intinity fans and controllers, Athena Blended Nutrients. Been using a portable RO machine to produce water. Water here in North Las Vegas is 300-400ppm and extremely HARD. I will try a tap water grow one day. Just not now. Even after sitting out for a day, my tap water is still over 300ppm.

Last grow, I used same setup, but had HLG 350R lamp roasting 5 plants. Decided to mix it up, and got a bar lamp for this grow (and to have a spare - just in case) Grow Light Science ProGrow 320.

I guess what I’m most nervous about this time is nutrients. Im using Athena Blended. They worked great for my first grow.
Also using Fox Farm for this grow as well. Last soil grow was Ocean Forest. This time I went with Coco-Loco. According to Chris at Octopot, Coco-Loco is a “one and done” soil.

The whole 10/30/20 5/20/30 thing confuses me. Ive been going with mL per Gallon. I just did my first nutrient feeding this past Sunday and did half strength.
It seems most people here seen to use Jacks. I’ll have to look into that. I had great luck with Athena for my first grow, and it should be good for this one. I just need to figure ratios, etc.

Octopot grow started 9/4/23 with two 6-Gallon Octos. After a week or so, both plants looking pretty sorry. My friend ended up giving me a pretty cool Zerbert plant, so I took a cutting and replaced Electrify #2. Long story short, the new cutting failed.
Down to one plant and staying that way. I dont want to catch one plant up to another. Did that with three additional plants on my last grow. Too stressful.

So, this one plant has now been going for almost a month, but didnt really “Catch” until the last week or so. It took 2+ solid weeks to find the water. Its going crazy now. Roots in reservior BIG TIME. I love this!
I measured my PPMs. They are usually around 50-70ppm after “Freshly Brewed” in my RO Machine. PPMs in Octo-Base were around 350ppms after adding Athena Nutes.

Plan now is to FIM in the next few days. I’m going to do a Mainline style with this one. At least thats the plan.

By the way, Stanlee says “Hey”. He’s my little Morkie, my helper, and my best friend.

Ill keep posting!

Thanks everyone

31 Likes

Octopots are super easy to use and there are a bunch of us users around to ask questions.

Lots of Octopot info in here

You’ll find lots of great info about nute schedules in there. I’d recommend @ifish @Papalag and @Jetdro schedule where they simplify everything by using ratios instead of exact nute measurements.

5 Likes

Hi brother

Welcome aboard !!!
I really like your set up nice and clean :+1:

Looks like you’re off to a fine start I see you did a lot of things that I do. I use the dome for when my clones are first initiated into the octopots system.( keep water lever at the 1st line ) Spray bottle at this point is your best friend. Sometimes add a little Epson salt to the water of the spray bottle, they seem to like that and they like kelp as well
It looks like you discovered once the roots hit the Reservoir they just go boom and the plant seems to explode in growth .:star_struck:

Feeding use what your comfortable with remember less is more, you can all ways add to it ! Yeah I’m one of those guys that uses Jack’s formula I prefer the 20 /20/20 and veg
And from my mom plants
It has just about everything you need in it. I do recommend that you get a calmag and Epson salt and add small amounts on regular basis. Remember with a octopots you do feed every time
I also use a bloom schedule with the 10/30/20 and 5/12/26 and I even combined them when the schedule fits

It’s actually easier then you think :thinking:

But again use what you’re comfortable with and what you feel works

Soil
a substrate preferably ( pro mix or sunshine mix #4 ) as your grow medium then a soil / fertilizer mix
Living a soil or super soil really not the best fit

Ph is your friend I check the ph on everything going in the reservoir. I keep it between 6.1 to 6.3 it’s there happy place
This will help you to avoid most issues before they happen

Just a few notes
There’s a lot of Octopot growers here have fun and enjoy your grow

Oh yeah training is a biggie if you want a pound or better

I’ve easily achieved 9 ounces per plant without any problem and more

Peace
Paps

7 Likes

Thanks Habitt!
Ive been reading and re-reading for a while now. Trying to sort through and absorb…

1 Like

What’s confusing ?
: )

2 Likes

Thanks, Papalag!
I forgot to mention the soil in my original post. I updated it.Its Fox Farm Coco-Loco. Chris at Octopot says its a one and done soil. Id just finished my last grow using Fox Farm Ocean Forest with no complaints, so it was an easy move.
It has nutes built in, I believe. I only just gave first feeding after cutting in Octopot for a month. Its starting to drink fairly well now. I want to see how she reacts to the Athena doses I gave her Sunday evening.
Growpro 320 is set to 50% now at around 20-21". PPFD around 400ish.

Id like to top or Fim a couple more times. Should I keep everything the same, or pump PPFD to 600? Im thinking that I should wait until Fim(s) done and recovered? She’s just recovering from the topping she had last week.

3 Likes

Here’s last grow in same tent. With HLG350 R lamp.5 plants. This time I’ll fill that canopy with a single grower!

17 Likes

Food for thought.
By using promix, which has no nutritional value whatsoever, you’re able to feed every reservoir fill and control Exactly what your plant gets and needs .
When using the pre-mix soil’s, such as fox farms, light warrior any of those premixed, even though they may be recommended, they have certain amount of fertilizers in them and once you try to feed your plant, you have to do guesswork as far as what is in comparison to what your feeding

Pro mix takes out the guess work

Just my 2 cents
Paps

6 Likes

Love this thread, will be watching. I’m in my first octopot grow right now and loving it so far. Feels like a best of both worlds between bubble buckets and soil.

2 Likes

I can definitely see a point in that. Id thought about it before the grow and one place had what I needed out of a few choices. Local supply is spotty. I didnt want to mix for a ratio.

At this point, built-in nutes are all gone and its going on Athena Blended. Just gotta figure the ratios.
Is there any point of feeding on the higher side during veg? Or more important during flower?

1 Like

Exactly! Need a good “Bullshit Filter”

Here’s a ppm chart I feed on the light side always

I do boost feed a bit during weeks 3 thru 5

But I try to stay around 550 to 750 ppm in flower
In veg a rarely go above 500

Charts are a great starting point but you are the final judge of what your plants need

Paps

4 Likes

Thanks Logan!

Its different, and Im just getting started.
One t thing about “servicing” these girls is I like to take plants out of the tent to groom, etc. Did that on my first grow until early flower. Not now. Where she sits, is “it”. I am going to install a Lazy Susan under the Octo-Base to be able to rotate while still a bit smaller for possible easier trimming/defoliation. It was kind of nice to be able to move plants out onto a counter or work surface and not be hunched over a plant for so long inside of a tent.

Oh well…

Would love to see your grow. How far along are you?
I only have the one soil grow behind me, but this is very cool. Seeing those roots in the Octo-Base is definitely exciting! I really do love the Hybrid nature of these things.
Next grow is 2 for sure.

1 Like

Actually the best one to explain the feeding schedule is @ifish

He’s the one who helped me fine tune it in for my plants needs

2 Likes

You can rotate the bag I do it all the time

1 Like

True! Ive been doing that as well. The sister plant that failed has a Hydrowick that didnt rotate. I found out after removing that unit and cleaning out, that it had a rough casting and needed some cleaning up in the cup hole area.
I was using lazy susan when I had other plants in regular pots out of the tent. Its nice to use, but I guess not really needed now because the Hydro Wick into Octo-base does rotate freely.
Also, I plan to use the auto water at some time. You can see fittings in use in my photos.Once thats attached, not able to rotate base anyway. Can still rotate the bag until I start using a net, so thats cool. Gonna be alot of bending over, lol.
Plants could be moved out of the tent by just the bag only and moved to a separate base outside the tent if needed, but I feel theres alot of soil movement when these bags are lifted off the base and moved.elsewhere.
Should have started off saying I have major lower and upper back problems along with prior broken shoulders. Tough to lift things and getting worse. No way Im able to move a full bag with plant and base with any amount of water in it.

5 Likes

If you move around the bags between bases, any concern with damaging roots?

1 Like

Its def not optimal. Many people move them from the 3 gallon to 6 gallon base when they switch from veg to flower. Mostly Im just whining because Im gonna have to be hunched over more with this system…

Its exploding right now. 3 inches in less than two days.

1 Like

Very cool! I like your style, clean and organized! I am running blended myself (first time) and still unsure if I love it or hate it. Still tweaking my feeds . I also am dying to grab some octos but being in Canada they are much more pricey and I need at least 8 to start but would prefer 12 . I’ll be following along living vicariously through you guys (@Papalag , @Jetdro ) until I do. Those medic grows seem to be great lights as well. Hoping you get it dialed and kill it !

2 Likes

Heres the action from last night. Did a lil TnT (Trim n Train) on my lonely gal. Grew about 3" in just under two days.

Have never FIM’d before, but I think thats the next step after a day or three.

Shes looking good, I think.

This last shot is just now from one of my in-tent cameras.

We’ll see how she does for today and tomorrow. Id really like to get more from her. Want her to really produce!

9 Likes