Seed Banks - Who can we trust?

Do you have Malawi x Ace purple Haze? Or purple Haze like positronics purple Haze? If you want to swap some similar stuff, I’d be interested.

2 Likes

PM you. 202020202020

1 Like

Equilebrium genetics used to sell a Malawi x chocolate hash berry but I have no idea if there still in stock, it was many years ago now.

1 Like

I’ll shoot you a pm in the pm.

2 Likes

I’ve ordered Ace through GYO seed bank and all went well.

2 Likes

Hey man. I don’t know if you have a Strainly account, but I’ve got a buddy from South Africa on Strainly, and he’s got some Malawi Gold, Swazi Gold, and some Rooibaard landraces, and several crosses he’s made. I’m trying to get him to join up here on OG, but until then, his Strainly profile is @ https://www.strainly.io/en/sicknick. Tell him Cliff sent you. :slight_smile:

:vulcan:

8 Likes

There’s so many of these landrace companies popping up! I love it! I never heard of those guys. Landracemafia. Perhaps seeds from one company were from the source country? The others were done western style ( indoors) . Khalifa genetics has a you tube video about landrace seed starting. It’s worth a look😉 Apparently seeds from these dry areas have a thick shell, probably to protect the embryo from drying out in the desert environment. Sanding the edges of the seeds or manually cracking them ( lightly) with yr fingers or some other way is now recommended to let water in. Rsc seeds from the source (afghanistan/ Hindu kush are likely to have similar issues for you without this method. It may also be related to whether the seed stock was collected from unfarmed ( feral) as opposed to farmed populations. An additional recommended step is to use a hydrogen peroxide solution, to kill any germination inhibiting bacteria on the shell. These bacteria would be natural, and part of the marijuana plants survival tactic in its native location. Unfortunately I can’t remember the percentage recommended . I’m sure it was low . Can anyone chime in about this? 2% sound right? Lastly, aloe vera soak to soften seed shells is also recommended. As far as germinating landrace seeds and soil, I have heard it told that they fare much better in soil as well. Mycorrhizae added right at the start. I have also read people have had great success in 100% earthworm castings. However you do it, please report. Everything I am going off of is what I read, not what I’ve done. I have always used the paper towel method, but I’ve almost always grown my own genetics. Popping Landraces from the source will be new to me as well! When I do use paper towels, i use them on paper plates. I replace them every 3 days. They seem to get slimy after that, and more mold problems arise. I have used 2% bleach in my water for older seeds and it didn’t kill them, but hydrogen peroxide seems friendlier and I will be making the switch myself. Apologies if I answered questions you didn’t ask or if someone has already said all this😬GOOD LUCK!

5 Likes

Did you mean in the fall or now? Sorry for the dumb question. I was going to germ all of them as I am a little nervous about the germ rates, and want a good genetic mix. But this fall I’d be happy to spread the love! I have a perfect spot in mind and except for a latitude change they should feel quite at home. I will select against anything skunky smelling only, keeping the rest. I will take cuttings early and if it looks like some good ones won’t make it i will grab cuttings of those to finish elsewhere. I will pollinate a branch of everything like I always do, by hand , so no gems are missed. I plan on moving males once identified if practical. I’ll take a good pollen sac from each male and open them into one bowl lined with wax paper and stir. I’ll personally mix this all up and apply to each lady. That way she gets hit from all the boys. On a separate branch on all my favorites ladys, I will pollinate with my favorite males and keep these seeds separate. With that said… Burmese? Nice! Would love some of those! Where from? We’ll work something out for sure. I really just want a big bag of malana seeds from many plants. It just sounds delicious and the buzz sounds delightful! If I sent you a 12 pack now would you do something similar with those and send me some beans in the fall off of them? I’m at 42 north btw if I haven’t said so before.

1 Like

Neptune and attitude I’ve had goodluck with. I’ve had luck with others but they are out of business now I guess

1 Like

@cannaloop Not familiar with GYO, what’s their website address?
@Guitarzan I do, I’ll shoot him a message. Good looking out. :vulcan: :thumbsup:

1 Like

You made me drool all over myself! I may have read about that grow on another forum😉. Legendary over there if that’s the case! I’m going to have my hands full with some of the stuff I picked up. Last summer I did ace panama and ace purple malawi from their breeders pack to wet my feet with pure sativas. Started flowering july 7 at 18 inches or two feet. Panama s finished earlier than expected. One at 9 weeks and 2 at 10 weeks. P malawi was 2 at 10 weeks and one at 11; right on time. All were around 41/2 ft to 6 ft I would guess. Went well but I know 16 weeks is a different game! I may be finding you for advice.

1 Like

I have to many projects planned atm to do anything with the malana before the fall, I was curious about a trade because every time I’ve gone to order from the few sites that will ship rsc to me there out of stock. I’d be more then happy trading for some of the resulting beans you create. The Burmese I plan on ordering is from the Indian landrace exchange.

2 Likes

@Jamescoldflame you be happy when someone say anything Bama!!

1 Like

Rooooooolllllll…tiiiiide…:eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

You have yourself a deal! I’ve been eyeballing that Burmese as well. If yr Burmese don’t work out I’ll still send you seeds. I want to help keep that malana around, and you have expressed interest. There aren’t many options for mold resistant landraces from more northern areas. To have potent, pure landraces that would finish at 42 n would be wonderful. We have to protect the few options available to make that a reality.

4 Likes

Hey man. I ran across something called the [Germination Bomb] (https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/germination-bomb-for-old-or-difficult-seeds.67454/page-4) a few years ago. I’ve only used it twice on some old seeds, but it worked both times. I have some of the Hawaiian Hashbud freebies from RSC. Angus said the germ rate was about 50%, so I’m gonna :bomb: them and see what happens. :slight_smile:

:vulcan:

5 Likes

Haha…she was a beast! Reminded me of back in the day smoke (that was rare to find…)
Since she had no leaves (I thought)…the trimming should have been easy…NOT! There were hundreds of tiny sugars all over the place…took hrs to finish.

Have fun and ENJOY!

3 Likes

Anytime…but remember,she was really my first Ace plant.
My best advice is to go light on the feedings.
I thought that I was feeding too light and bumped it a bit (soil grow)…wrong…the loss of leaves was very normal!

2 Likes

Man, I have 5 Malana from RSC that I’d trade. If you’re interested, PM me and let me know what you’ve got for trade. :vulcan:

3 Likes

Germination bomb? I’ll have to look into that. I have a bunch of old seeds that have sentimental value to me. I’ll keep my fingers crossed on those Hawaiian buzzards freebies that you have the same success as in the past. I may have gotten the same freebies when I ordered from Angus back in November. But I remember he had a cut off date listed for some certain seeds as freebies and I think the new freebies were

the Hawaiian Buzzard Afghan. I may have gotten the previous mystery Afghan if there was indeed one of those? I just can’t remember. Bag just says “afghan?”

2 Likes