Seed Genetics of bag seeds

I recently got a bag of bud that had gotten pollinated, I think by a hermephrodite(?). A friend told me today that if the seeds came from a hermie pollination that all my seeds will produce hermies of lesser quality. Is this something that I am going to have to watch for? I have 6 of these seeds growing now and do not know what I may have gotten myself into.

1 Like

well actually you can get some really good bud from them, they will have hermies for sure and will be more prone to herming. heres a funny fact. feminized seeds are made by making a female go hermie then collecting its pollen. thats why fem beans are more prone to herming:)

2 Likes

I have seen killer buds from bag seed. Getting out smoked by your friends outdoor bag seed buds is embarrassing after you paid good money for some commercial beans.
How many weeks were your plants when you harvested?.

1 Like

Some strains Iā€™ve come across where inherently hermies. Iā€™ve never found any male flowers in them, but everytime after harvesting and drying Iā€™ve found say 5 seeds in 50 grams of weed. These seeds can still produce great weed and if this is the case it wonā€™t hurt any of your projects (but higher number of male flowers can ruing your harvest!), but I wouldnā€™t choose them for any further breeding :slight_smile: I prefer more stable phenotypes for keeping and breeding.

2 Likes

my friend hermeid a paid sour d and gave me 25 seeds, all were perfect females and strong bud.

I order mix packs online to save money because I donā€™t care if its afghan or skunk or girl scout cookies or pineapple express, I just want a healthy plant.

And bagseed is good, better to learn with that then buy seed and waste it.

I recently started growing again and have wasted 4 seeds so far, only one popped and has since died before sprouting.

Wish I could buy clones.

1 Like

The plants are only 3 weeks old right now. I just heard this and needed input as to the worthiness of the plants and the additional care needed to grow to prevent a bunch of seedy plants.

Thanks guys. I will just need to keep a sharp eye out for the male flowers then and trim away any I find then I guess. I planted my first ever bean at the start of August this year, first plant grew well then wilted, smoked like lawn trimmings and could not even get any oil from it, My second go round is 2 Green Crack clones that had to go straight into the flower tent but great buds and smoke although not a bang buster crop weight wise. I am learning, slowly lol, but making progress.

yeah, keep close watch, BUT Chem is hermi prone, bruce banner and suprisingly some more are all accidental herms but wicked bud. Tons of F1ā€™s that are sold are crap, but ā€˜weā€™ keep shelling out 20 plus bucks apiece for untested chucker junk. There is no ā€˜Iā€™ in ā€˜weā€™ anymore btwā€¦lol

1 Like

Grow em out. it will be fun.

2 Likes

And educational lol.

2 Likes

The problem of hermies is a loss of quality and potency. IF sacks manage to open pollinate flowers you can prevent this then you are OK.

You can use products like ā€œReverseā€ by Dutch Master. or Optic Foliar Switch. Products like these prevent the hermie condition. I believe they have something to do with ethylene production.

I try to avoid hermies, it makes me a bit nervous to have plants with hermie tendencies because just a little bit of pollen in a room has the potential to damage the crop. There are some cultivars like Gorilla Glue 4 that have a known hermie trait in them but because of quality people still run it.

2 Likes

i do need me some gg4 bag seedsXD

GG4 S1ā€™s are common.

There are some other good GG4 hybrids that have more stability to them. And is just as good as GG4.

-Loctite (Mt Rainer x GG4)

If you run it too long it will nanner on you. And its easier to clone than the original GG4.

The GG4 cross that I didnt like was ā€œCitrus Sapā€ (GG4 x Tangie) It will herm out on you before you can get a crop. I didnā€™t try things like Reverse but it seems too unstable. If you want lots of bagseed grow this one.

where can i get some loctite??

1 Like

If it to lock threads on a bolt or screw, use your womans nail polish. Holds better than locktite and is still removable.

1 Like

It took me a minute, too.

1 Like

lmao no no its a gg4 crossXD

2 Likes

lmao, I actually thought you needed a tight screw.

1 Like

LOLā€¦ Youz guyz are hilariousz.

Hereā€™s another cross for you.

Elmers Glue (The White x GG4)

1 Like

Did you ever find any I have gg4 s1 bagseed got a few great plants already from them