Seed Run Co-op: Goroka Highland, Papua New Guinea

They’re looking nice @DiggySoze. They seem to be adjusting just fine, heh. They really filled that tent. Are the males slow to flower, too?

3 Likes

If you go back to post 145, from about six weeks ago, the male on the left is an apical meristem clone, while the other is a rootstock of a different plant. They have been under identical conditions for the two months since that picture was taken, but the first half of their lives they grew up separately.

Now the apical cut is throwing pollen and the rootstock doesn’t even have flowers at the moment. Was it the light schedule the rootstock was growing under? That would be my guess.
But could it be phenotype, or stress, or maybe the top branches produce more hormones and thus flower a little faster? No idea.

But yeah, the males definitely take their sweet time. lol. That’s life on a tropical island for ya.

8 Likes

I remember reading that clones taken from flowering plants can finish up to two weeks quicker than clones taken from vegging plants…and that growth before the flowering cycle produces flowering inhibitors. The longer the growth before flowering, the more flower inhibiting hormones are produced, and these have to be " used up" before flowering happens. Is that making any sense to you? The older part of the plant might have had more of these hormones in it than the younger tip ???

3 Likes

What were the light cycles?

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard of that before. What’s the chance you have a link to read more about it?

I’m not sure. The rootstock was with a friend until it was confirmed male, and given back instead of murdered. The apical clone spent the vast majority of his life under the same schedule as the females.

Ya know. Now that I go back I might have that mixed up. Idk. It is what it is. They’ll flower when they’re ready. Lmfao.

10 Likes

Im running some mullumbimby right now. Ill have some running at the same time the next outdoor season after i get my hands on these in aus.

7 Likes

I was just talkin about my lack of Link producing with @Guitarzan. Sorry I don’t have a link for that. I’m working on learning how to do it. But that particular piece of information I read before I knew about overgrow . I’ve been trying to keep better track of my sources since joining . But, the information stuck with me so it must have been a reputable Source. I only remember things that I’m confident are probably correct, or should at least be explored further. It’s why I planted the Malana late. We’ll see if it’s true or not this year, but I was impressed enough to try it. I planted in mid may or late April. I had always started early thinking older plants would finish early. But after thinking about it they just finished bigger, not earlier.

5 Likes

@katanaking00 if you’re comfortable posting pics online feel free to throw some up here. I’d love to see the comparison.

Brains are weird. Now that I read this sentence, I have heard the same thing in reference to traditional farms. That planting too early produces a plant that devotes too much time and energy to stress aversion, and waiting a couple extra weeks will give you bigger plants than planting earlier.

I’ll find a YouTube vid. But first:

8 Likes

That’s interesting and I’ve been thinking about it, although not the taking on stress aversion.

The large plant I grew two years ago was still growing large when flower time came. I planted it at about 2 feet tall, not too awful early because of our weather. Last week of May probably. So, I’m sure f I have that extra time that it would be waiting.

One thing I’m wondering about is the planting early, flower early. I think it may help if it’s established versus a month old. But I think my late plants last summer flowered at the same time as the early, larger plants.

4 Likes

I regret not popping a couple Malana earlier for a comparison…I guess I won’t know if it made a difference starting late. Supposed to finish up to 1 or 2 weeks earlier than plants started very early. You say yrs finished at the same time? ( early and late plants) When did you germinate each of them?

3 Likes

I’ve waited this year to transplant starts from 1gal to the soil for a couple of reasons:

1. desire smaller plants :thinking:
  2. pest exposure time reduced :point_up_2:

Last year I started a Super Lemon Haze x Jesus OG from seed in June & it shot up to 6’ & made 1.5LB. :sweat_smile:
Prior years I’ve begun as early as possible striving for larger plants.

:thought_balloon: an 8-month veg cycle outdoors is not requried unless you’re trying to grow giant pumpkins. :smirk:

Hmmm…

Back to 'Pappy G :tv: :joy: :older_man:

:evergreen_tree:

10 Likes

I tend to over-generalize. Does your climate have winter? Lol You damn California’s might be a special case. I’ve got family in San Diego, that every year, on Christmas, sends everyone pictures from the beach.
New England spring is tough on seedlings, tho. If you plant a batch on May 1st and another in June 1st it’s a toss up which one will be bigger in July first.

12 Likes

Man I can’t wait to see these when they are done gonna be crazy looking saty flowers.

7 Likes

So true. I was just talking of this today as a matter of fact. My early brussel sprouts are a tenth the size of my late ones due to stress endured during May weather. It’s a crap shoot.

4 Likes

Yeah. I learned the hard way that we get a frost at the end of the first week of May, just about every single year.

/ addendum;

This one main cola will just not stop growing… I pinched the tip off so hopefully she’ll get the message. Next step is floppin a la sparkle.

18 Likes

Looks like it reacted like a basil plant or something… heh. Cool.

6 Likes

Neither one of them is even as tall as me, so it might be overly critical to put such harsh limitations on em.
But at the same time…
There’s no way the one cola gets to be right up front and center, getting all the light, while all the other colas drift further and further away.

6 Likes

You can count the number of times she’s been underwatered with each and every yellow leaf. Lol… :sweat_smile: :cry:

Some of the lower buds are chunky

28 Likes

How about espalier growing along the walls?.. :thinking: :laughing:

:evergreen_tree: :grapes:

3 Likes

She might be perfect for it. That’s 100% what I’m going to have to do with my next Vietnam Black run.

3 Likes