Seed Run Co-op: Goroka Highland, Papua New Guinea

Very cool, considering I was just kidding :blush: but Iā€™m thinking airflow betwen the ā€œvinesā€ & tent walls might be tricky but :+1:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to try an espalier, but with something like the Vietnam Black itā€™s obligatory. You could write your name in her branches.

8 Likes

Boy, sheā€™s just chugging along like she could care less if sheā€™s in the jungle bush or your place. Very nice.They sure look healthy and happy.

3 Likes

Those buds are starting to really fill in nicely. Vietnam Black is known for having very slender branches or something? Easy to train? Hard to hold itself up?

3 Likes

7 months on the nose since germination.

Topping the large one worked temporarily, but now there are twenty little capoā€™s vying for the top.

Chunky buds getting chunkier.

24 Likes

@Upstate where did you get your Malana?
I have some 2014 real seed co stock gathered on site in the Himalayan malana village which has never germinated, with any technique. Iā€™m very interested in Himalayan genetics.

5 Likes

Those gorokas are looking amazing, I love those large open structured buds that you only find in a landrace.

7 Likes

I picked up the Real Seed Company Malana as well. It was also gathered originally in 2014, but I suspect this was an open pollination reproduction as there were no issues with germination at all. I doubt he gathered new stock, as contamination is only getting worse. If you are saying you got them way back in 2014, there probably will be germination issues, so youā€™ll have to do some extra steps to get anything to pop. Get in touch with me this fall. There may be fresh stock.

6 Likes

They are the 2014 stock, Iā€™ve been trying to germ them since they were fresh. Iā€™ve tried a lot of tricks including humic acid, natural probiotic methods, etc.
The few that actually sprout are afflicted with some kind of killer himalayan damping off fungus that is endemic to the seeds.

itā€™s cool that you had better luck with the reproductions.

5 Likes

If you would be willing so send them some where, Iā€™m sure there are a few guys here that would love the challenge of sprouting them. Might even be able to make it a seed run!

3 Likes

I actually threw that out there at one point, still waiting to find someone interested in trying some of the advanced chemical techniques on my rsc himalayan lines.

Iā€™d be particularly interested in sending out my 2014 RSC Kumaoni himalayan stock. Iā€™ve tried over and over with that one, down to about 12-17 seeds out of a stock of an original stock of 40 seeds.

7 Likes

Iā€™m guessing it was a reproduction. Or maybe another collection?. Angus( the owner of rsc for anyone that doesnā€™t know) just said that the seed germination issue had been solved. He didnā€™t mention how EDITā€¦2017 accession from Malana village. Thats neat you have the originals. I heard about the pathogen. This is a scary thing to contemplate but have you thought of planting them in the fall as if they dropped off the plant naturally? The next spring they could indeed come up. In desperation, this is what I did with my lolab Valley. I just put them in the garden, and hope some day theyā€™ll germinate. Iā€™m pretty sure I cooked the seeds in unfinished compost tho. Still kicking myself for being impatient. I look once in awhile to see if something germinated.

5 Likes

I actually did try that. In my experience that only works with actual fresh seeds that were never dried, but it works amazingly well.
One time I buried a single fresh lower bud from a seeded rsc lebanese which was splashed with mud during the fall rains. I had over 100 seedlings pop in that pot next spring.

7 Likes

Interesting. Only fresh seeds? Iā€™ve seen seeds sprout in buds that have been left on a plant all winter. It never fell over. There was some Sprouts sticking out of the buds left on the branches by the grower, in April or May, and a bunch on the ground growing. So the seeds had to have dried on the plant at some point during the 6 months it was overwintering. So the cold must have prevented this curing process that youā€™re seeds experienced I am guessing ?. What do you think?

4 Likes

Massive fatty nugs! Those colas look like theyā€™re going to be massive! What size light do you have them under again? Are you still maintaining 80 degree temperatures during the day time?

4 Likes

this is what I was trying to get at. What Iā€™m trying to say is that Iā€™ve never seen it work with seeds that have already been harvested and dried, only with seeds/ plants that were left outside all winter.

2 Likes

Zephyr

Did you try using Gibberellic acid?

Iā€™ve heard it is one of the better options for hard to sprout beansā€¦Rough up the shell a
bit and soakā€¦

1 Like

I havenā€™t, but I would be happy to send some of my remaining himalayn stock to someone who has the chemicals and the experience to use them safely.

I have tried just about all the natural methods. soaks, direct sow, h2o2, compost tea, probiotic cultures, mycos,and plant enzyme and hormone treatments with coconut water, aloe or malted barley.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve for a project coming upā€¦so unfortunately Iā€™m not going to have the bandwidth for the foreseeable futureā€¦Hopefully, someone has the capacityā€¦if not, worst case scenario ā€¦Iā€™ll check in with you in the springā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s ~450w of leds, with another few hundred available but not in use atm.

As far as temperatures, theyā€™re not controlled at all. Weatherā€™s been normal so temps have been between 70 and 85 for a couple weeks now. Theyā€™ll probably spike to the 90s for a few days this month, tho.

2 Likes