Seed Run Co-op: Goroka Highland, Papua New Guinea

I think that temp could be a factor. Have you tried putting any of those seeds in the freezer for a month or two, then trying them? If their natural lifecycle is to go through a freeze during the winter before germinating in spring, they may require that trigger in order to activate.

That would explain why the seeds that were harvested and dried without the cold cycle won’t germinate. I have some of those RSC Kumaoni seeds myself, so maybe I’ll try it.

Good luck with them. :vulcan_salute:

6 Likes

Edit -I broke down and orderd the malana ,Iranian and Tirah to add to my RSC collection.

6 Likes

Malana were all alive last I checked. (Cabeca de Negro too. )With luck there will be seed of both. These recent rains should have gotten them growing well. They had just taken root in their new home 2 weeks ago. I’ll check them again at some point, but unless they get swiped or killed by frost real early they will at least produce seed. Males and females all together.

4 Likes

Is there A/C in the house helping maintain those temperatures? ( ain’t no A/C in these parts lol)

2 Likes

I would chip in my Kumaoni as well for a repro. I got them as freebies at least twice. Maybe 3 times. I love the super skinny leaves dropping down in the pic on kwik seeds.

We all should probably migrate to a different thread with all this talk of different landrace’s though… and keep this one for Goroka Highland😉. Landrace Expansion and trade? See you all there I hope… thanks Diggy.

3 Likes

Nah. I own a couple, but rarely use em. I don’t like the stale ass air that ACs produce.

1 Like

Guess what I found?! The reference I read about starting plants late to finish them early is in Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke. Bottom of page 148, and the top of page 149. Granted, this book was written in 1981, but it’s not like it was the Stone Age back then. Here is a photo of what I read. 15938653119664658989707645161365|375x500 oto of what I read

12 Likes

Let’s hope mr. Clarke was correct, and the Malana finish a bit earlier than they otherwise would have.

7 Likes

Interesting… veeerrrrry interesting…

4 Likes

Here’s a quick question on procedure while everyone is digging through their textbooks. :slight_smile:

(and I’m sorry if this is slightly off topic…yet pertinent)

We all know proper storage conditions for our seeds…BUT does anyone have a defined strategy/procedure for curing those beans?

We are creating, preserving and saving seeds…but what are the ideal conditions to set those seeds up for proper moisture levels before going into long term storage?

Leaching excess moisture for the cotyledon prior to storage compromises the long term viability of the seed.

For me…I let the harvested plant air dry in our cold room down stairs…upside down over a fabric sheet (Approx 65-68F…RH is all over map depending on time of year and whether furnace is running)…After about 5-7 days of having dried the harvested plant, numerous seeds having fallen onto the sheet…I will then manually remove the rest of the mature seeds from the husk. After drying for another 2-3 weeks downstairs in a cool dark basement, I’ll then have them ready to pop into a sealed test tube or centrifuge tube with rice for longer term storage…Has anyone read/heard of any “formal” procedure for seed preparation…?

Could I be allowing more moisture into the seed…am I dying them a bit too much…?(obviously RH and temp are factors here)

6 Likes

My preferred method is to dry and cure the seeds with the buds, and collect them as I smoke.
Three haze plants front and center, identical ages, identical conditions, one just barely flowering. Goroka are both falling over. Need to invest in some bamboo stakes.

15 Likes

Harvest for me is in mid-october. I do as Diggy does, and get many of my seeds as I smoke the weed. But I also collect many seeds as they mature during the season, as most of my pollination occurs in the first third of flowering. The humid summer air is replaced by cold dry air in the North country. Perfect low humidity for drying seeds. I put the seeds in a dish in the open air, and let them sit there at least two months. After that they go into a Tackle Box, where the seeds sit for a further several months in baggies or ziplock, which makes it easier to add the seeds from the weed I’m smoking. In the late winter,/springtime when I’m getting all my seeds together, the seeds go into long-term storage. Previously, this is just a different Tackle Box where all the seeds are in Ziplocs, placed inside other Ziplocs, or ball jars with the ziplocks inside. In the past I could expect near 100% germination for about 5 years. But the shelf life quickly drops off after that time. Since joining overgrow, I feel the best method for preserving seeds is either in the refrigerator or the freezer with rice as a desiccant. Everyone seems to have very good luck this way. Just make sure the refrigerator or freezer you store your seeds in is one of those with frost/ humidity controls

7 Likes

Yes! IIRC drops RH to 12 ~ 15 % perfect.

There has to be a protocol for seed storage for the Svalbard Global Seed Vault but I haven’t found it…

Cheers
G

3 Likes

What’s llRC?

2 Likes

If I recall Correctly (IIRC) … a recursive joke!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I don’t know about the Svaalbard global seed Vault, but how about the gene Bank in Switzerland? The owner of the real Seed Company, Angus, may know something about how they store their seeds. I’ll ask him. Should be similar methods I would think…

3 Likes

Bodhi says in one of the potcast interviews that he hangs his plants in a climate controlled cargo container. He said they sometimes hang there for up to 2 years before he samples and shucks them.

I have accidentally left seeds sitting in a bowl on a shelf for 2.5 years, and they germed perfectly.

In general I dry and handle my seeds the same as my flowers. seeded buds dry for an extra 3-4 days at least, but then it goes into jars still in the flower. I’m disabled so I usually can’t do a lot of shucking work, and I usually have to just shuck the seeds as I smoke the bud.

Usually it take me about 2-4 months to smoke my stash and pack the seeds for permanent controlled storage.
Sometimes the seeds will remain in the buds for years. I really enjoy a long cure and sometimes I like to save bud for years, just so I can have it at the ready for medical use.
I have yet to see any impact to germ rates.

Obviously I’m not being very scientific, this is done out of necessity, but hearing bodhi say that he has had seeded plants hanging for over 2 years definitely made me less stressed out about my method.

Good question mr toast, I’d definitely like to hear what other people have to say on this subject.

edit- after shucking my seeds go into controlled seed storage. It seems they keep very well, as long as the viability was good at the time they went into storage.

8 Likes

Jeebus. How much headstash does one need, for a plant to hang for two years without getting touched? Lol

4 Likes

I’ve had about a dozen fully seeded plants hanging in my garage since last october… I think I’m beginning to understand how bodhi feels haha.

I’m going to shuck a few seeds from each plant for the collection, and then start giving them away to my friends.

That’s right folks it’s a limited time offer! FREE FREE FREE, first come first served.
Go to zephyr’s house and get yourself a turkey bag of seeded schwag!
Smoke the bud! make edibles! grow your own! grind the seeds into hemp flour!
Nature’s multi-purpose miracle plant can be used to accomplish any household task, and we’re passing the savings on to YOUUUUUUUUU!

11 Likes

Screw The Wine Cellar, I want a Bodhi cellar!!!

8 Likes