Seed Run Co-Op Rare or Discontinued Preservation Project In-house Special

I picked up 30 f4bx roms plus 20 dynamite for a bill and a half

7 Likes

Theyā€™re all American companies. AK Bean Brains is in Alaska. Check him out on IG and I think you can buy directly from the breeder. Listen to his podcast on The Potcast. He talks about the ATF/MTF. Iā€™m dying to get a couple of his things.

Is the Dynamite easily available? Sounds like a nice one to work with.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s in stock pretty much all the time. I can snag you a pack if you wish

6 Likes

Very impressive looking and sounding

5 Likes

Sounds like a great strain to preserve :wink:

ATF is still around - its also called Matanuska Tundraā€¦ Calm and Collective says they have MTF though many old timers that tried it walked away disappointed while others are reminded of the old strain in taste though not in affects or growth. Some others claim to have it and may have a variation of it though hard to tell as at that time most strains coming out of the valley were called MTF as it was the most sought out and expensive at $70-80 an eighth whereas others went for $20-30

I can send you the Apollo 11 pack Sebring sent to me

10 Likes

Sag had the original MTF and it was grand.
Pork cutlets are probably letting the dispencery growers grow my beans

9 Likes

Who is sag and how do conbect with him

2 Likes

It is Sagamatha, unfortunately itā€™s no longer available.
Plants i had produced over sized softballs, if you was to throw one at somebody it wouldā€™ve hurt them.
Iā€™ve searched about every where for them, aye Good Luck in your search.
Keep me in mind if you find but I overturned rocks and pounded the bush.

9 Likes

Nice! I wanted those Tree of Life seeds forever, and was never able to score a pack. I think they will be super awesome! My vote for a preservation run! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™d love to have some of these when the run is done.

5 Likes

Just make sure to keep an eye open for the new thread. Once the grow is announced, it takes 3-6 months to complete it, and that depends on what method the grower decides to choose for pollination.

Some do an open pollination which is easier and goes faster. Some like to do a selection process before the pollination to choose favorite phenos or to try and lock in a certain trait.

So, Itā€™s pretty hard to miss one, although I think I did early on. And, now, with the new guidelines, I think weā€™ll only be getting two packs sent out a year, regardless of the number of strains grown.

Hey, is that an autograph of Jack Herer on your magazine in your avatar? I couldnā€™t read the inscription. peace.

11 Likes

technically If one is doing a ā€œpreservation runā€ then they should be doing an open pollination.

Selecting for specific traits isnt really preserving the original strain. Especially when it comes to more pure lines and land races.
Hmmmmm

16 Likes

Wowa! gotta love the generosity on OG!! Amazing place full of awesome people:)

7 Likes

I guess it depends on the aim of the preservation a bit? Like is the effort to preserve as much genetic variability within the strain as possible or is it to produce seeds that will resemble the original F1?
Open pollination of f2ā€™s, f3ā€™s etc is going to blow predicable trait expression almost completely out the window is the only thingā€¦ itā€™s a LONG way back to the consistency that can be expected of an F1 via open pollination and won['t happen at all without some level of selection. You may get the occasional pheno that is very similar to the F1 but itā€™s going to take a hunt through the offspring to select the progeny that have the characteristics of the F1 and for it to do anything more than pop up occasionally the traiits will need to be selected for. If we are using parents which differ by a significant number of gene pairs, even if the trait being selected is controlled by simple inheritance, the potential number of recombinant types for the overall parental differences is HUGE. For example if the parents differ by (n) allelic pairs of dominant genes, the number of possible phenotypes in the F2 generation are 2n . So for a difference between parents of say 20 allelic pairs of genes the number of possible phenotypes in the F2 is 2^20 or 1,048,576! That is a shit tonne of plants to have to sort through to get back to the F1!

If they are REALLY a homozygous (pure or landrace) lines then the phenotypes should display a high degree of uniformity so that open pollination will result in little variation between the plantsā€¦
In practice though truly homozygous strains are as rare as rocking horse shit because very few breeders will backcross to F7 or F8, with the exception being in wild isolated inbred populations with a narrow gene pool. Problem is here that inbred lines with little variation tend to lack the vigour of hybrids due to the accumulation of reccessive genes from inbreedingā€¦ also with open pollination of hybrids without any selection you can expect to see segregation increasingly occur at f2 and beyond and that is going to get you further away from the characteristics of the original F1. Maybe some mass selection of phenotypes is the go? As in grow seeds out and remove anything that is sub standard but otherwise leave all genetic variability in place?

All in all thatā€™s a long way of sayingā€¦ it depends. Are we preserving the F1ā€™s characteristics, or just the gene pool it came from?

12 Likes

Just checked, MTF BX3 is still available at Labyrinth:

http://labyrinthseedco.godaddysites.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmtf-bx3

Romulan is out of stock.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s the larger point I was sort of making. I noticed it seemed to be up to the preservation grower as I was thinking some did both since Iā€™ve been here, I think.

But, yeah, to try and preserve something similar to the f1 would take at least some extra work. I suppose the more stable the strain, the open pollination would produce more similar plants to the f1? or no?

6 Likes

Well the thing about an F1 is that by going this route instead of backcrossing and selecting phenoā€™s till the phenotypes are consistent is that you get two really useful thingsā€¦ Heterosis i.e hybrid vigor and also when an IBL is crossed over another different IBL you end up with a even and predictable distribution of traits in the F1 hybrid. Open pollination of an IBL is one way to try to reduce inbred suppression by maximizing the genetic variability within the inbred population, but then you really have to be talking huge amounts of plants for it to be making a big difference. One of these days Iā€™ll get around to making a 4way crossā€¦ so the hybrid between two F1s of four parents so (A x B) F1 x (C x D) F1ā€¦ in varions grain crops etc. this is mostly the method used to make more productive hybrids.

The process involves

1 select desirable plants from open-pollinated populations;
2. Backcross the selections for several generations until homozygous to produce inbred lines;
3. hybridise chosen inbreds to produce single-cross F1s;
4. select those single crosses exhibiting the highest combining ability for the
character(s) to be improved for use in the double-cross hybrids;
5. produce double-cross hybrids from the best-performing single crosses.

BUT it needs four IBLā€™s to be made first :confused:

19 Likes

I have to admit, I only have a general understanding of breeding but after a few years it is sinking in. You actually explained that very well. Thank you!

9 Likes

Yes it is autographed lol

6 Likes

AKBeanBrains breeds an MTF and several MTF crosses. JBCseeds carries his stuff, but doesnā€™t look like they have any MTF in stock now. I have emailed and purchased direct from the breeder before (not MTF), can find the address in his IG page.

edit: @Northern_Loki, didnā€™t see you had already posted this information, was not meaning to be redundant.

8 Likes