Seed storage techniques

Got the fridge for ~70$ last year

I posted this pic in other threads but this thread is the most relevant

I got alot of “baby fat” for extra beans.
Always account for more space than you think youd need.

11 Likes

What are those VHS looking cases you have your beans organized in? Those look more helpful than the ziploc bags I was thinking about using.

4 Likes

@jobu

They are 3.5" floppy diskette cases.

i got a case of them on ebay after filling up the bigger file-style floppy cases (with the dinoparty sticker) that are cheap and plentiful new-old-stock, lots of brands

i can see the benefit of re-packing into tubes or micro jars for saving space, but i like the packages so i keep them intact, most fit inside the cases (like 3.75" square inside) big packs like brothers grim, or nirvana need to go in the big box.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Mine is working well and I’m happy with it. I’ll get it organized soon and it’ll be prime. I have everything in a cooler bag and ziplocks. I need to invest in some Tupperware

1 Like

If i move to vials, I am going to
Miss the Characteristics from each individual Flip / Package / Vial that I’ve received.

I can pick each one up and it pings the history… 2 seeds in a Vial… etc lol

I’ve Got to make the move

11 Likes

Oh that’s what they are! They looked so familiar yet I couldn’t place them. Maybe if they had “Oregon Trail” or “Ridge Racer” written on the boxes it would have triggered my memory better haha.

I’ll raid my parents’ basement next time I visit, I think they have a whole section of a closet with old computer and video game stuff from our childhoods. Those look perfect.

3 Likes

I’m still in original packaging. So long as you have the space…just keep stuffing mason jars with packs. I did see someone that moved to vials took all of the original packaging and placed them in binders with clear plastic for display like baseball cards. That was slick!

4 Likes

agree with you ---- have many seeds from many breeders - I’m guessing that you have more seeds than time to plant them, meaning more that a life-time. Now if and when one purchased seed I wonder if I can live long enough to “run” them problem Too many seeds, not thinking of the money spent !!!

1 Like

Uts a great place to be. I’ve got friends who know my collection, and they are rubbing their hands together.

Its a great spot to be in.

Cheers @hawkman

Hey, are you looking for anything in Particular? Just askin, You never know!

1 Like

sure am !!! what about you ? guess PM’s are in order !!! always looking for quality genetics __Peace

1 Like

Blacked out quart jar in fridge at 45°f, 2 inches of rice in bottom of jars. Seeds in containers they were shipped in.

2 Likes

How about some in-house Panama Red

A couple days away from Flips… send me an address Bro

1 Like

WOW !!! Panama Red - great – ran Ace’s Panama wasn’t to thrilled with it so to say which surprised me because it was an Ace genetics"

1 Like

I went ahead and pulled everything out of the paper towels today. Opened up the seeds just out of curiosity and most of them were a white mush on the inside … or just black.

I have to think they were just beyond revival… I don’t really know what I could be doing wrong. It’s just heat and water right? ****ing be overthinking it I know … I always just wonder if there’s something I’m missing here that I could be doing something better.

Watching everyone posting pics with 10 out of 10 seeds popped inside of 48 hours is getting me a little salty I have to admit :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Floating them till they are Ready has proven really successful. Super easy in a dark cupboard. No heat other than room-temp needed @spillz907. Day 3 to day 6, this is a normal sight, with straight tails.

4 Likes

Nice. I usually do that soak and then move them to sandwiched paper towels inside a Tupperware after 24 hours in a dark cabinet. I’ll try just leaving them in the water next

Mine have been sinking by the 24 hour mark anyway… interesting… what’s your take on leaving them under after they sink? @MissinBissin

1 Like

I had heard, proportional for the size of the seeds, there is enough oxygen in the water for a seed to sit on the bottom for ~ 10 days.

Matters not. I’ll grab them with a spoon and refloat them sometimes. I’ve left the last few sinkers

1 Like

Thanks. Been having such a hard time I’m questioning everything. got them at 82 degrees in the cabinet ambient heat

1 Like

Grab a few of the orphaned seeds you have kicking around and put them on the Water… they’ll have fun @spillz907