Seed Trading, Moderated (Part 3)

I reuse everything…only buy envelopes and stams :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Dumb question:
What are those orange rings inside the coin flips? Are the flips nickel size? I have a pile of seeds about ready to drop and would like to pack them up cleanly. I usually use small ziplocks but like how the flips store and mail.

3 Likes

garden hose washers

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

@Frankken_Ford take a look at this thread bud :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Oh thanks for this @globalhead

2 Likes

Looking to trade for a purple pheno White Widow or a solid White Widow if anyone has one lmk pls.

3 Likes

Quarter size flips.

2 Likes

The rings are hose washers (the ones I get are black.) My flips are assorted window sizes and they’re all fine.

It’s really the best way I think although some prefer pucks.

4 Likes

Pucks preserve the seeds better, the method of small paper square with a washer and some tape is kinda dangerous for them in my opinion.
If I were selling or shipping a lot of seeds I would buy some pucks from china or any other hard cased shell of some sort

1 Like

Disagree but that’s ok.

8 Likes

I think pucks would be better if they were a bit thinner, but I haven’t lost one in the mail yet.

2 Likes

If being the big word there.

I’ve seen pucks blasted out of the envelope by rollers.

But everyone has their own ways.

6 Likes

The pucks Ive seen are thicker than the allowable standard USPS envelope, that’s the main reason I chose flips and rubber washers.

But if I were selling seeds as a business, instead of casually and occasionally trading/gifting some, I would choose pucks or plastic vials, and use bubble mailers instead of envelopes.

9 Likes

They aren’t making them right if the final envelope is over a 1/4 inch.

2 Likes

Not even close, but it certainly is thicker than a standard letter.

1 Like

There is some truth to this.

As a hobbyist being able to send via letter mail for $1 is a huge bonus.

As a seed bank I would charge you for shipping so it wouldn’t matter.

8 Likes

Hola Gang

I’ve send thousand of seeds
tru mail
Washer and quarter holder
I rarely have a complaint on
crush seeds I only had 1 or
2 in the last 20+yrs.

Bare

38 Likes

100% this.

3 Likes

I also got a lot of paper squares with a washer and no problem so far, with today’s mail you can’t know, rather safe than sorry.
But indeed I agree the pucks should be thinner.