Seed Trading, Moderated (Part 3)

You and me both :joy: (love that Sour Diesel). I can still remember the first time I smoked it. I had bought it from some random guy selling outside my work in Manhattan, first time ever but it was the best smoke I had then. Went home to the Bronx, smoked and that was it. It was for sure a heavyhitter, knocked me out while smoking it. Had never had that happen to me before, woke-up like what the heck happened :laughing: the blunt next to me on the bed barely halfway smoked, could never find that guy again but that impression left Sour Diesel with a special place in my heart. @anonymous4289

8 Likes

Im also a huge Sour D fan. Used to have the cut back when, and Ive been looking through tons of seeds to find it. So far the best Ive found was Wolf Pack from Bodhi. Theres a bunch of F2s floating around from a repro not long ago. Theres a range of phenos, but I got plants that are real close. Im running some Karma Sowah to test, seen pics that are pretty spot on too. But anything ā€œAJā€ on it isnt even close to what I had. Also just did the Sour D HP from Bodhi, and it was kinda close, but a lot more hashplantly than the original. Headgasket Hashplant that was a recent Bodhi freebie had a much better high IMO. I made a bunch F2s of it, testing a few now to see how they turn out.

9 Likes

I only have one pack and donā€™t wanna part with the rest of my seeds, but I just harvested a sour d x 88g13hp that was a really nice pheno and I am currently attempting to reveg her and turn her into a mother plant. Id be happy to send you some snips in a few months if the reveg works out

10 Likes

the first cross i ever made was cali connectionā€™s sour diesel to tga qrazy train. supposedly the cali connect sour diesel cut was AJs and it was the best iā€™ve had but i never really had access to other sours until the chem fuego i have now, which is [(sour diesel x headband) x chemdog]. i wasnā€™t happy with the 2 i grew out but iā€™ll have to try again.

Iā€™m sure nobody wants to hear this or whatever, but Iā€™ll state it again. When I got brought in by the older dudes (19-25 was older back then to me) in ā€˜98 they had a cut called Diesel, but the old guy (35-40 ancient to me back then) who lived on our beach was a hardcore Brooklyn guy and he was the one whoā€™d bring down cuts for them when heā€™d go up there. He never shut up about NY so he called it NYC Diesel. It smelled like straight gasoline. People would pull over thinking their car was leaking gas. Then in ā€˜99 he brought down what he called Sour Diesel and thatā€™s what everyone fell in love with. It grew different, looked different, smelled different, and smoked differently. I preferred the Diesel myself over the Sour D, but honestly preferred others over them. Not sure if that helps anyone or anything, but thatā€™s how it happened around me. Brought that Sour D cut out to Santa Barbara in the summer of ā€˜04 and started growing it there. Then, West Hollywood for a while before getting the HPK cut from a guy I hung out with and would walk home from The Comedy Store with. Dropped the Sour D when I got HPK. That was ā€˜08 or ā€˜09.

12 Likes

Iā€™m not sure which it was, it did have a strong gasoline funk and was super frosty (compared to other bud back then), which is the only reason I bought it from a random unknown dealer. I was probably around 18-19 at the time, didnā€™t know a thing about growing only smoking then. I can never forget the high and taste though, havenā€™t come across it again since. @PatHealy

Thatā€™s all that matters. I think we get too caught up in the names and whatnot. Itā€™s the experiences and actual enjoyment that matter. The ā€œNYC Dieselā€ was more narcotic body high and the ā€œSour Dieselā€ he brought down was super heady. They smoked completely differently. Looked and grew totally different too. But, who cares? Certainly not 18-19 year old you who had the time of your life with whatever flower back in the day. Thatā€™s whatā€™s more important.

7 Likes

I believe headiegardens still has the Sour Diesel (JP Cut) x 88g13hp in stock. The site is down at the moment but I believe it will be reopening sometime this month.

1 Like

Yeah the dealer probably sold me NYC Diesel but called it Sour Diesel. The way it knocked me out, was definitely a narcotic body high. Back then most people probably didnā€™t know what they were smoking or selling for that matter. We had so many generic names for just good weed like Piff, Purp, Kindbud, Chocolate, etcā€¦ The names really didnā€™t matter, only how it smoke.

3 Likes

@anonymous4289 think this is the list.

1 Like

Yall gotta be young AF cause back when I was smoking in my teen years the dealers never even knew what the strain was you just told them you wanted Highs, Mids or Lows, and you got what they had, if you asked what it was, they would tell you ā€œits weed do you want it or notā€. Maybe that was just an Ohio thing not knowin the strains, but that was like 92-93.

5 Likes

In my neck of the woods it started as green or brown weed. Then it went to Sinsemillis or Commercial. When named weed started it was ā€¦pine, skunk, christmass tree bud, Acapaulco Gold, Columbian, Michocan to name a few

6 Likes

Every once in a GREAT while, Like ONCE a year or so, our weed guy would get something with a name, but it was RARE and back then, I was payin 25 for 1/4 ounce, but when it had a name the price went up to 80-100 for 1/4 ounce. and it was usually what he called Kind Bud. Sometimes it was something else but it didnt happen often. But im also in a very small town and there was normally only one or two weed guys.

2 Likes

Same in New York in the 90s. Strains didnā€™t have many strain names back the and sour diesel was one of the first big commercial strain names after northern lights and chocolate Thai. sour diesel was good smoke but it is gone now and was mostly great marketing

4 Likes

Iā€™m 41 now lol but back in the 90ā€™s I was definitely young. Situations was similar you was just in Ohio, NYā€™ers just like to hype everything up lol. Like with your area, stuff with a name would cost more so you know what happens next, everything start getting a name but they was those generic names I mentioned earlier Piff, Purp, Chocolate, etc @Ace71975

3 Likes

I think the very first name I ever heard back in the 90s was purple haze, and the buds were PURPLE as hell, but they charged 200 1/4 ounce for it back then, so needless to say, we had it once when like 6 of us pitched in to buy it, and well, it was worth every cent, I have never been that high since, even on live resin carts. That was the stuff that I walked in the house, looked at my mom, asked her who the hell she was and what she was doin in my house.

5 Likes

I remember Purple Haze, thatā€™s where the Purp came from. They just shortened it and started calling everything purple Purp. @Ace71975 All the NY rappers like Jadakiss use to rap about it, it was that good.

2 Likes

It was a little TOO good!

1 Like

Sounds like none of you were growing back then though. I think thatā€™s the big difference. I was twelve in ā€˜98 when those dudes brought me in and Iā€™d already been geeking on seed catalogs and stuff for years. Haha All of us were growing and ordering seeds or getting them brought back from Amsterdam. You definitely couldnā€™t order or buy seeds by asking for ā€œhighsā€ or ā€œmidsā€. But, if you were just a kid or person buying from a random dealer it could come as whatever they wanted to call it.

1 Like

Back then $10/4 finger lid. $90 for a Lb. Ohhh forgot about Brick Weed. Saw a compressed 42 lb bale of it once.

3 Likes