Should I be worried about these leaves?

Do your symptoms fit any of these descriptions?

Click on pic to enlarge. :wink:

Normally I use a garden weed sprayer and water the soil directly - mostly around the outer edges of the pot. I dont make a habit of it, but I did spray the leaves with a small spray/mist bottle when watering several times.

1 Like

I think our man @toastyjakes might be onto something here.

99%

1 Like

Those are better descriptions than some of the ones I have been reading recently.

Unfortunately, I think my symptoms look kind of, sort of, almost like several of those.

Nitrogen - NO issues with yellowing of the older leaves. My older leaves are all dark green. Only some of the newer leaves have slight yellowing of the tips and a slight lighter color between the veins.

Phosphorus issues - I have dark, dull older leaves with some of them having slightly curled edges, but the under sides look fine with no purple. This one is a maybe.

Calcium - its too early to tell about buds, and I cant see the roots, so ??

Magnesium - I have what could be magnesium symptoms, but they are only on the newer leaves and NOT on the older leaves, so I dont think this is it.

Iron - this is a possible. Some of my younger leaves do show the yellowing/lightening of color between veins.

Potassium - almost but not quite. There is no yellowing on my older leaves, but some do have dark spots along the edges.

Sulpher - almost again. Many of my younger leaves do show some slight general yellowing.

Boron - no signs.

Chlorine - no signs that I can see.

I think so too. This started after I installed the LEDā€™s and I did spray the leaves several times while the LED was on hi power and relatively close to the plants.

Im wondering if I am under feeding also?

I have been trying not to over feed because I read somewhere that FoxFarms soil didnt need much, if any, extra food or you risked nute burn, so I have been going extra slow with nutes.

Im at 6 weeks now, so maybe I do need to feed heavier?

1 Like

The best thing would be to check out your runoff pH and Ec. Then you should know waht is going on :slight_smile: But I see two probabylities here :slight_smile: If the pH is ok and Ec will be low than you need to feed them more. Your plants dont have burned tips and arent so green as they should be. They look hungry. If the pH will be too high or low or the Ec will be too high then you have some nutrient lockout and you need to flush and correct your pH. Meybe with using more expensive better nutrients that hold the correct pH in your medium.

Check it and let us know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I dont own an EC meter. My last watering was two days ago and the runoff was around 6.4.

I think your correct on the under feeding. Im going to try a 1/2 strength feeding on this watering today (about 3 times what I usually do) and see what that does.

Im also going to wait until lights out to do any spraying of the leaves and keep the lights turned down and raised up for the next few days.

Thanks to all of you for the help!!!

2 Likes

I would guess pH lockout or ā€œCalMagā€ issues. I would give them full strength nutrients next feeding and watch them for the next few days.

What LED are you using, and how far from the plants is it?

1 Like

Have you followed any threads here about LEDā€™s and timing the exposure to them?

It looks like maybe the light is a little close but i more feel like you have salt build up from tap water. Are you using tap water?

Here is a site with LED light burned pics and stuff!

2 Likes

I just finished a watering with 1/2 strength FoxFarm nutes - Grow big and Big Bloom. The water/nute mix started off at about 6.0, or a hair under, and the run off tested at 6.2-6.4 PH.

Im using the SolStrips (same LEDā€™s as Quantum Boards). I started them off at around 200 watts total ( about 28 watts/sq ft) and 24" above the canopy. Over a few days, I lowered the lights to about 14" and increased wattage to 280 watts - about 40 watts/sq ft.

They are now back to about 21" and 200 watts.

Ive been reading LED threads - on several boards - for weeks and weeks! :slight_smile: See the above post about distance/wattage etc.

I ā€˜thinkā€™ I did it correctly?

I am using tap water. Its well water, and I have no clue about salt, EC, PPM, etc. It is NOT treated in any way as far as I know. Its a local well that just serves my small community of about 30 homes. The natural PH out of the faucet starts out right at 7.0-7.2.

I tried buying ā€œdistilledā€ water from the grocery store, but the three jugs I bought all tested with a PH of 6.0!! No way was that stuff really distilled. I cant afford an RO setup, so Im stuck with tap water.

I saw those pics a few days ago. After looking at them I decided I probably DIDNT have light burn - or at least not any where close to that degree. Plus, none of the leaves closest to the lights were turning yellow or burning like in those pics. The ones that first started were further away from the light, and just burned in small spots with no yellowing or fading at all. What yellowing and fading there was, was all on other leaves that didnt look burned.

You guys are awesome!! Thanks for the help!!!

1 Like

You want RO water and then you can use it to mix with your well water to lower ppm. Donā€™t worry about PH until all of your nutes are mixed then test. If your tap water is skyrocketing your ppm anything you add will take you over the edge.

Im stuck with this tap water for now and I have no way to test PPM, EC, etc. Guess I better start saving up for an RO system.

It might help, but I have poor tap waterā€¦

1 Like

You can buy 5 gallons for a $1.25 and it could last a week or two depending on how bad your water is.
@99PerCent If your water isnā€™t hurting your plants how is it bad?

1 Like

I live less than 1 mile from a major water processing plant. I hate the taste. The pH pins over 8 and you can smell the fluorine gas bubbling out of it. I let it sit over night before I even start working on it.

Your plants seem to like it. You canā€™t bubble out salts, metals and other solids so being close to the treatment plant might be helping you. You would have less chance of lead and other metals seeping into the water from pipes and leaks in pipes being close.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because light burn on leaves and lights burning holes in your leaves where droplets of water have say for a couple hours are two different thingsā€¦

If the cause isnā€™t nutes by look or even slightly obvious then perhaps take a long deep look and make sure there are no little bugs boring into your leaves and even still must a single leaf and let it be for a couple hours and check if the issue arises againā€¦

But youā€™ve done your homework so keep lookingā€¦ maybe weā€™re all missing something

Buying RO water never occurred to me. Iā€™ll have to check around and see whats available in my area. If its that cheap, it will a bit of trouble, but worth trying for sure.

Hmmmmm I hope I can find real RO water and not crap like that 6.0ph ā€œdistilledā€ water in the store.

Yeah, I am hoping the burned spots are from the water drops and the other symptoms are under feeding.

I have not seen any creepy crawlies yet, but my eyes are not as good as they used to be! Ive tried taking closeups with the cell phone, but its not ideal for that - still - no sign of bugs. I ordered one of those cheep USB microscopes and it will be hear Tuesday. Iā€™ll use it to take a closer look.

Thanks again to all!!!