Should I be worried about these leaves?

Its been 24 hours since my feeding and they are starting to look better! I also did a light foliar feeding last night at lights out. I think that helped some too.

What do you guys think - should I do another feeding at the next watering or wait a few days?

Give them all the food they can handle.

In soil, be sure that isn’t too much, because it can’t be taken back out.

They are drenched, yes?

If so, see how they look later today and tomorrow.

Keep posting pics. Someone will catch something and save you troubles.

99%

1 Like

I will do that - thanks!!

I gave them another almost full dose feeding late yesterday afternoon and another, 1/4 strength, foliar feeding at lights out last night. I also turned the lights back up to full power over a 6 hour period.

This morning they are all looking noticeably better, and they put on a spurt of growth last night! The yellow tips are starting to green back up and they just look happier. So it looks lke I have been under feeding for sure.

Thanks for the help folks!!!

5 Likes

More food in gradual feedings should work.

Is the scrog high enough above the plants? If they stretch a bunch after flip, they will exceed the screen and its benefit too much.

99%

Im not quite following your question. Do you mean how far is the screen above the dirt or how far is the light above the plants or?

The screen itself is 8" above the dirt on the back two plants. They are a couple of days to about 1 week older then the front two plants. The front two plants refused to keep up in height, so I cheated and raised the pots about 2" so they could all start weaving through the screen at about the same time. Those two plants (one Northern Lights and one CBD) have been and still are lagging the other two.

I lowered the light back down to 15"-18" above the canopy and turned it back up to max.

How high the scrog is to anticipate the “stretch”.

Once you flip the plants, they will stretch toward the light, set themselves up for flower production and start to flower. Roughly 2-3 weeks later, again, they should stretch a little. You will be folding bending and distorting like crazy to stay in control at that point if the scrog is too low.

Just check to be sure it is high enough when you do go to flip.

Have you seen this link? There are others too.

Search using the mag glass in the top right corner of your screen. Try “Scrog height” and other key words to see if you can tease what you are looking for out of the database.

1 Like

Yes, I read that one a couple of times, but Im still confused about what exact measurement you’re asking about… being a clueless newbie, Im sure its my misunderstanding :slight_smile:

I was under the impression that ‘scrog’ cold refer to either the plants/screen combo, or the action of weaving the plants into the screen, so I’m having trouble understanding how the scrog could be above the plants when the plants are part of the scrog?

If you’re asking how much vertical room there is above the screen, I have about 24" to the bottom of the light fixture. if I raise it up as far as it can go. I could get 3 or 4 more inches, but Id have to re-do my fan setup.

The PVC screen is 8" above the rear plants soil and 6" above the front plants soil.

The plant canopy thats weaving into the screen is any where from 1" to 5" above the string in the screen, at the highest points.

Today

Before flip

2 Likes

The concern would be that the plants will stretch well beyond the height of the scrog, flop over and defeat the purpose of the scrog. May be that you are fine. Just be careful to investigate what others have had success doing.

Personally, I like to be able to move plants around and clean, so scrogs don’t work for me.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. This same subject just came up in another of my threads. A second level of screen was suggested as one possible solution. Im sure I can come up with something if its needed.

Thanks!

Yeah man!

Keep seedin’

Hi folks, I wanted to give you all another thank you and a progress report. The girls all seem to be doing very well to my untrained eye!

I’ve been running 12/12 for the last 5 days and feeding about 3/4 strength on the FoxFarms nutes every watering = about every 3rd day, plus a folair feeding every night. They seem to be much much happier. Here are some pics from today.

5 Likes

Hey Larry,

They are definitely looking good.

1 Like

They are looking great! :thumbsup:

1 Like

I’m glad your plants have made a positive turn @anon32470837 I’v notice that a lot of foliage is crammed in their under your scrog make sure air is circulating well under the canopy as well or start defoliating leaves that are not getting light . Heavy leaf overlap can cause problems on down the line so just becautious of that as well , good luck on the rest of your grow!

1 Like

Interesting that you suggest that, because I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I have been reading and reading about the pro’s/con’s of ‘defoliation’, striping, pruning, or what ever you want to call it. Its a very polarizing subject! Most people are either all for it or all against it.

Im discovering that I am at least a ‘pruner’ by nature. When I see a leaf blocking a new bud site, I get an almost irresistible urge to rip them off!

Several day ago I decided that I was doing it too much though. The “save the leaf” folks had, at least temporarily, won me over. That was mostly due to the argument that too much plucking caused too much stress. That made me worry I was going to cause some of them to go hermie.

BUT - then I watched some ‘Master Class’ videos and that guy just rips darn near ALL the leaves off and his plants seem to be doing great.

So, then I decided to compromise - I started tucking leaves down into the canopy or folding them down against the stems to try to unblock the lower bud sites. Thats not working as well as I hoped. Those darn leaves just pop back up in no time or I do it too aggressively and break them off anyway.

Being a newbie MJ grower, with zero growing experience of any kind, can be challenging. Every time I read a new post or thread on some aspect of growing that I didnt know before, I think I need to incorporate that into my grow. Then I read another post or thread that says just the opposite, and I want to switch back!! Having zero experience and no natural green thumb tendencies, I find I am whip-lashing back and forth every day - sometimes several times a day! Its tricky trying to figure out what to do and who to trust for advice.

Ive about decided that, at least to some degree, it doesnt really matter that much. Im pretty sure Im not going to kill them off unless I do something really stupid - which is possible! These plants seem to be able to absorb my mistakes and bounce right back. Thats lowering my stress/worry level a lot and increasing the fun aspects.

So, long story short - Im going to take your advice and start doing more leaf trimming and just try not to over do it. If I can stay “middle of the road” when there seems to be a wide range of conflicting recommendations, I think that will be just fine. I may not get the highest possible yealds in the end, but I think it will still be ok for my needs.

As I get more experience, I am sure I will develop my own preferences. Then I can start giving advice and arguing about what is “best” - sure in the knowledge that I am right and everyone else is wrong!! :smiley:

4 Likes

I remember doing similar things in my early grow days. Heck, I still like to experiment with new things. It’s hard because cannabis has been grown for so long under prohibition that very little cannabis specific research has been done. I will propose that cannabis is just another annual plant, there is lots of scientific research on those.

I’ve tried pruning and tucking and not pruning in my ScrOG. What I have noticed is if I don’t prune lower shaded leaves, they will turn yellow and fall off anyway. By letting this happen naturally, the plant can move nutrients stored in the leaves to more productive areas.

4 Likes

hahahaha!!! Two replies on the same subject in one morning, and (almost) completely opposite recommendations!! :smiley:

I hope neither of you is offended if I do some of both :slight_smile:

I just spent a 1/2 hr thinning out the under canopy below the screen. Many leaves just fell off as soon as I touched them, but others still seemed pretty healthy. I took all the rotten ones and some of the others. I also pulled a few from the top that were doing too much shading of their little sisters. I’ll probably thin out the upper canopy a little more tomorrow too. Dont want to do too much at once.

Thanks to everyone who is chipping in!!! Its helping a lot. If nothing else, repeated advice, even if its somewhat contradictory, helps me to average out what people think is best.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s one of those topics that is very divided. I don’t think it hurts the plant, but I don’t believe that bud sites need more light either. Seems more natural that way. :angel:

Then again, there is nothing natural about growing plants in containers indoors under artificial light. :imp:

6 Likes