101's First Grow Diary

“Don’t overthink” is my mantra as I setup and dive into my first grow.

This diary is premature; I was not planning to embark upon this journey quite yet, but I couldn’t bear to simply toss the organic kitchen scraps I’d been kitchen countertop recycling since last week. My recycler was quickly filled, as was my overflow bin, and my second overflow bin… I had to do something pronto.

I started researching vermiculture, kobashi method, and couldn’t really settle on a method or product. Then I remembered, DON’T OVERTHINK.

A cooler-sized plastic bin sits on our deck… could I turn that into composting bin? I debated drilling holes in the bottom of it, but I spied a bag of perlite, leftover from my 13yo’s science fair project. Drainage enough. That was my bottom layer. Then, I dumped in the same volumeish of fluffed out coco coir. Onto this layer I dumped the oldest, slimiest scraps.

Next I took a brick of dehydrated coco coir and crumpled it directly onto the scraps, reasoning that it would dehydrate the slime a bit. I repeated these two layers (scraps and crumpled coco brick) till the top layer. Then I wet the coco coir bricks and sloughed off the fluffy coco coir for a cushy top layer.

Now what?

I’m thinking of dumping microgreen seeds (we have many leftover from aforementioned science fair project) into the bin to get some root growth going between the layers and when I have growth, add some ladybugs to take up residence and patrol against spider mite infestation. Is that crazy?

My tent arrived so I can set that up and place the bin inside when there is some sprouting and the ladybugs arrive. Set-up so far: Gorilla 4’x4’ and for lights I have Migro Aray 8. I ordered four EarthBoxes but they have not arrived yet. I am pretty settled on a Presh carbon filter but haven’t ordered yet.

But the most important part of my set up is Hawaiian Haze CBD Hemp and Bubba Kush CBD Hemp seeds from the wonderful souls that are @bassman5420 and @Pluckyevil. Magic beans that will stay slumbering until my whole system is healthy, stable (temps and humidity) and ready.

So my set-up is a boxed up tent, boxed up lights, slumbering magic beans, and a medium-sized bin of organic scrap + coco coir lasagna. And lots of microgreen seeds. Should I get worms into that bin?

Suggestions, advice?

Words of wisdom more than welcome!

cc: @Old-Ron

31 Likes

I use a bin much like that for my soil/garden composting and I love it because it’s so useful.

You definitely should get worms in there, I personally wouldn’t try to grow without 'em because they help so much! I went to petco and got red wigglers and nightcrawlers, and I haven’t had to get more yet!

Also, good luck, have fun! I’ll be doing bong hits and watching along! I think it’s gonna really surprise you once you get into the groove of growing, but getting to that point can be a bear of a time. I remember my first grow, and you’re already doing better haha

10 Likes

Things look great @101. The Phresh filters are awesome. I have one in my 5 x 5 Gorilla tent.

Did you get the original or junior boxes?

Earthboxes will help keep it simple, and not have to over think anything. Looking forward to seeing it when you get things going.

8 Likes

Absolutely! Worms are great gardeners.

Oops just reread the first reply, glad they come highly recommended. I found my worms for free after a rain shower.

8 Likes

Sounds like you are off to a good start. If you haven’t already, go check out the Build-a-Soil 10x10 series on YouTube. He had two seasons, each documenting an entire grow from seeds/clones to harvest.

13 Likes

Highly recommend what @ReikoX suggested. Lots of good information there, and you can use alternative products to his if you want.

6 Likes

Great to see you starting your diary! I am not extremely versed in composting and the correct layering that should be done, be it thermophilic composting or worm composting, but you are at least trying to approach things in the correct manner.

We are honored by your shout out :pray: Please let us know if you are wanting to try out anything else and we will see what we can do to get ya sorted out :+1:

Also like @ReikoX and @Old-Ron mentioned, BuildASoil’s youtube series is great and you get to see various things like Earthboxes done fresh and also no till’d for a few cycles along with various sized containers of no till living soil setups from 3x3 bed to 5-30 gallon living soil fabric pots.

Baby steps, you got this! :+1: :evergreen_tree: :green_heart: :evergreen_tree: :+1:

7 Likes

7 Likes

I’m so excited to see your plants grow!:seedling: Looks like you are off to a nice start. Thank you for the shout out :relaxed:

2 Likes

Originals! Got a deal on a set of four from a gardening shop.

2 Likes

My 13yo and I set up the Gorilla 4’x4’ and the (Migrow Aray 8) lights and two of the Earthboxes. We have a few hundred red wiggler worms split between two Earthboxes. We just added some kale seed to get the system going. The green in the Earthboxes are a bit of organic kitchen scraps for the worms. Filled the reservoir and did a bit of top watering. Soil so far is just 50% coco coir pulled from my compost bin (so it has some organic decay but nothing solid) and 50% organic potting soil.

The idea is to grow some veggies for my 13yo while I finish the set up.

I still need to order my carbon filter… and in general plan out my first cannabis grow (soil amendments, kashi blend? Ladybugs? top dressing?). Am watching series one of build-a-soil and it’s terrific.

It’s a start.

16 Likes

Are those blueberries?

2 Likes

Kale seeds!

6 Likes

:nerd_face:

5 Likes

You’re gonna have worms crawling out of your eyeballs! :joy:
I set a pound out in my garden like 4 years ago and now I have millions. They have moved in absolutely everywhere. Potted plants, flower beds, front yard, side yard, everywhere a worm worm. :rofl: Happy growing, new friend. I like your style.

4 Likes

Kale sprouting up through the organic kitchen scraps, worms making lots of castings. Some good fungal growth. Soil coming alive.

9 Likes

Greetings and salutations! Ordered everything for Coots Soil Mix which will be coming over the next week. Feeling excited.

In the meantime soil is coming to life with kitchen scraps and loads of earthworms. Will finish harvesting the kale (made a delicious scramble with sautéed shallots) this weekend.

Then soil gets mixed and divided into each of the four EarthBoxes. Hoping to pop beans soon. :pray::pray::pray:

10 Likes

Well. I tried to get away with a fan+humidifier combo with a vornado humidifier but I think I need more air circulation. I am seeing dust on top of my lights. Also the humidifier takes up so much room I can only fit three (of four) EarthBoxes I have.

Any recommendations for fans or humidifiers?

Thanks!

The little glass dishes are my first six planted seeds! I hallowed out some avocado skins (and added many holes to aid decomposition) for a biodegradable cup for seed->seeding. Soil is Clackamas Coot’s mix minus the basalt dust which hasn’t arrived yet.

5 Likes

Just wondering do you use r/o water for your humidifier? If not you may want to keep it outside of the tent. I know with mine I was getting calcium deposits all over the place because I have hard water.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply. I use NYC tap which is considered medium hard.

I am going to try a different humidifier (smaller footprint) and will look for calcium deposits. TY for the tip.

2 Likes