Show your animal

My boyz…

14 Likes

I’ve also got this critter that’s lived on the property now for almost 5 years. Showed up when just a tiny kitten and wouldn’t leave. I finally realized why, Lisa was feeding it in secret. Finally I caught her one day and took her to the vet and had her spayed. She only likes me and the dogs which I find hilarious as Lisa is the one who want to love on her. She’s just really independent and I tell Lisa to ignore her and she’ll show more interest in her.

16 Likes

17 Likes

That is just sweetness overload right there.

2 Likes

Talk to @PlantShepherd, he had a difficult time with his rescue early on, but now he has become a much better/great companion. Things will eventually improve for the two of you. Good luck!

3 Likes

We chatted last night and he sent some useful print outs to categorise his reactivity better. Sadly he’s at a fairly extreme level as there’s been multiple level 4 bites, some borderline level 5 and he flips from expressing little fear/anxiety to extreme aggression. I’m still committed to working with him and have faith that with time, patience and lots of work we can get to a good place. I’m also realistic about the danger of the situation and the reality that he may need to be surrendered and put down after being assessed if he’s too much of a risk to others and will never have any real quality of life. It’s a hard life but all part and parcel of taking in a rescue, especially one that’s been rehomed so many times which makes it impossible to know what he’s gone through. After talking with the new trainer yesterday he’s fairly sure Maki was conditioned as a puppy not to growl, which is why he snaps seemingly erratically. He also suspects there’s been some physical/mental abuse based on his level of reactivity. Which is the take away from this for new dog owners: understand the breed your bringing into your life, it’s needs and make sure you learn proper training techniques to avoid creating this kind of situation. Despite everything I’m still glad the owners gave him up as they weren’t able to handle his needs and he could easily snap and kill a newborn/baby. I definitely also feel a lot of resentment that they didn’t give him the structure, attention and training needed which created that created this cluster fuck…

5 Likes

Anything that can be done, can be undone. The unprovoked attacks on you is not good. Let’s hope there is a way forward that Maki remains with you. You have invested a great deal of time with him.

2 Likes

Time and blood :drop_of_blood: if I may say, I really admire that patience, hope it is rewarding but also it is important to understand the potential risks against others, due how he reacts with his owner. Biting without previous warning is a no no, I don’t know how he was taught to do so, some people are crazy … :sweat:

5 Likes

I sincerely hope so as he really is a friendly/affectionate, curious and playful dog under the rage and homicidal tendencies. Which I understand, I often want to kick people in the gonads/ovaries for their stupidity (biting people just makes you look crazy lol).

6 Likes

17 Likes

There has been lots of blood that’s for sure, hopefully with time we get back to a good place. Muzzle training may very well be in his future if recommended, for now at least his “unpredictable twat” leash cover finally arrived to warn people to keep their distance.

Which Maki generously posed for during the mornings walk lol.

When the new trainer mentioned that in his experience dogs like Maki were conditioned as pups not to growl it kind of put some pieces together and explained his behaviour. His escalating behaviour over the years makes sense if he’s constantly been getting more and more triggered until he was living in a constant state or nervous/anxiety/fear without any way to express himself other then snapping when he was pushed too far. Which has helped me get closer to trusting him again as it comes down to me learning how to recognize what little signs he may show to intervene. That’s a functional scenario that I can work with, if it’s just going to be a life of random/unpredictable aggression that doesn’t seem healthy for anyone, including me.

With all that being said I want to be clear that we do have fun together, it’s not like it’s purely work. Aside from this week we have fun running in the park, playing together, he makes me laugh with his antics and endless curiosity, he amazes me with his intelligence (at times, he can also be really derpy) and the times he’s been relaxed and affectionate are memories I’ll always hold close, however it plays out. I know he isn’t mean spirited, he follows me constantly and wants to be close which unfortunately creates unsafe situations at this point as he gets closer then comfortable at moments and then freaks out. He’s worth putting the work in as he deserves to have a good life, I just may need to start buying bandages in bulk lol…

14 Likes

Well, I admit that sense of humour is also needed to deal with this situation :sweat_smile:. I know I can sound as a mother-in-law giving advice on how to educate your sons :speak_no_evil: but if things goes as usual after he bites you he will never assume it’s a wrong thing to do. I don’t mean beating him back, but perhaps putting him a muzzle after doing so or when you think situation might be risky can act as a kryptonite, making him feel weak and vulnerable without his superpowers.

It’s merely notorious that he needs to be educated and that’s your task, it works with rewards and punishment, I lock my dog in a small stable when he behaves bad, that’s the way to make him understand I won’t let him do that without consequences. You should find a way to let him now you’re the one in charge and he must obey you, no violence is necessary but yes some kind of punishment, if you don’t do so he will continue acting that way.

Sorry for “invading” your “owner territory”, I would like both of you to be happy without “plan B” :see_no_evil: in mind … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

No need to apologize as I appreciate and advice or input and am definitely open to suggestions. You’re absolutely right about keeping a sense of humour around it all, it keeps me from taking it personally. Plus how could I not laugh considering his fav song is Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads? Between my dark sense of humour, high tolerance for pain, tolerance for being bitten and deep phobia of the medical system which has forced me to learn flesh wound care; we’re ideally suited for each other. That rare time when people’s baggage complements each other lol.

Currently the routine when he gets triggered (whether biting or just snarling) is to verbally gain control by repeating “Maki No, go to bed” firmly without shouting, walking towards him to show that I’m not afraid and to show that I’m in control. I tried blocking the room his bed is in off to isolate him but I suspect that has increased his reactivity. So this week I have simply kept telling him to go back to bed if he leaves too quickly. With holding attention seems and not letting him be close is the best solution I gave come up with for now without degrading the trust we’ve built. After 30 mins to an hour I let him out but make him work for treats doing multiple tricks instead of just one.

I’ve also been more conscious of taking time to randomly do training or give him attention today as I realised I’ve slipped lately with that which is probably contributing to the issues. Today has been a relatively good day, he was laying on his side again which he hasn’t done all week and is a good sign he’s feeling more relaxed.

Hopefully the trainer has some better strategies for dealing with him, if you have any ideas (or anyone else) I’m more then open to hearing them.

6 Likes

I was suspecting you were some sort of masochist :see_no_evil: and that makes both of you a good couple :grin:. Hope you will find the way to correct that behaviour, he has been lucky to found you and maybe you’re the only one able to save him from the :syringe:, still think a muzzle would be a good solution … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes

More like a clumsy tradesman that found all sorts of creative ways to hurt myself over the years lol.

2 Likes

This is Rocky. He was our neighbor’s dog, and a great little guy. He and our strictly indoor cats (present and past) were all good buddies. When it was chilly and his family wasn’t home or paying attention he’d scratch at our door to come in and the cats would always welcome him. Sometimes they’d curl up together. Never a cross bark or hiss. I loved that little guy. He died about 6 months ago. He was 17. Long life for a small dog like that. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

20 Likes

The dinosaurs of the house last night…

15 Likes

I was driving home from fishing about 5 years ago on a cold, rainy night and saw a dog walking along the side of the road. She was soaking wet and shivering uncontrollably when I stopped to check on her. This was about an hour away from my house so I hesitated picking her up but I just couldn’t leave her there like that. So I took her home got her all dried off, fed and watered and she was sound asleep in ten minutes and then slept for 12 hours.

We contacted Animal control and the ASPCA in her area, she had no microchip and we got no response from anyone so we adopted her. The vet said she thought she was about 3 years old which makes her about 8 years old now. The Bostons, they’re mama’s babies but Addison the collie is daddy’s girl.

26 Likes

Good Morning OG :wave:t3: (from RUSH the dog faced boy)

20 Likes

Good for you man ! Love to hear those stories

1 Like