Show your animal

12 years 2 months. She looked young. A reason why we thought she was healthy. She had slowed down last 18 months. Sleeping more heavy breathing etc

5 Likes

Yeah that’s what the vet and my wife said. Like a light switch went off. Was going to get an autopsy but vet said more time than not it wont show anything except the obvious cases.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s average life span of bullys. Mine is about 10 now…ugh

6 Likes

The one bull terrier I owned was a staffie. He lived to around 11. Bigger dogs seem to die earlier unfortunately. My bull mastiff only managed 8 but was cancer and me putting her to sleep that ended her. I have a llhaso apso still. They supposedly can live into their mid to late teens.

5 Likes

Putting your dog to sleep has its upsides and downs. You get to spend the last days with your dog doing the things it loved. But if you’re putting down a dog it means they generally were in some pain which is hard.

My dog loves the dog park, loved a provincial recreation area near me where she would run around on thousand of acres. And most of all she loved the beach behind our old house on Vancover Island. I will be taking time off work and the family will scatter most of her ashes at her favorite places.

12 Likes

Our OG members we’re my rock at the time. The sad time is further up this thread. It all happened quickly over around 6 weeks from having a limp and me ending her pain. I have her ashes but I’ll be keeping them with me always along with my mastiff I had before her. I feel your pain @PoppaPuff they are like our children.

6 Likes

@PoppaPuff, et al.

Before I got my first pitmix 20 years ago I did a bit of reading beforehand & was initially interested in a wolf-hybrid (hey, i was young & stupid). Wolf mixes are alleged #1 biters, need 10-15 miles of running per day, & easily clear an 8’ fence. :astonished: :wolf: No deal. :grin:

Of the many stories & personal accounts that swayed me toward the most “determined” of breeds was by a guy who recalled how his family’s dog stood guard in his daughters’ room every night & when his visiting (adult) brother walked past the open doorway the dog gave a warning growl. It surprised him but he knew that was a damned good dog. :thumbsup:

One time when we were walking I saw an old lady & some kids approaching & the woman asked me if the dog was a pitbull. I hesitantly acknowledged & she was happy & told me how they were “Nanny dogs” out at Stinson beach(Marin Co., CA) in the 1920s when she was a girl. The dogs would lifeguard & bark when kids went out too far & supposedly retrieved them too. :slight_smile: I’ve read elsewhere of the label “nanny dogs”, referring to bull & terrier mixes on farms in rural 19th c.(hehe 19thc) American farms. Farmers noticed how well the dogs guarded the kids & the name arose then supposedly.

At the dog park a guy told me of his mother being given a grown pitbull by an old farmer in the 1930s. She was walking with the new dog through an Arkansas field & was set upon by a Bull. :cow: Apparently the dog was a trained “catch dog” & bit & held the f#$^& down to the ground by it’s nose until she got over a fence!

:clap:

And then for some levity. :arrow_down: LMAO. :joy_cat:

:evergreen_tree: N:ice_skate:ice doggy…

5 Likes

At the dogpark she died at she has been bitten by a few small dogs. She had the judgement to know they were not a threat and just ignored them and looked to me for help. One time a ladies shit zhu came running up to her barking and bit her on the face leaving puncture wounds. The lady came running up to me yelling for me to get my dog away from hers. Haha I had to laugh. My dog had zero interest in any aggresive dogs. She ignored them unless they were off leash and obviously going to come up to her. But at least twice in her life she woke me up to people either prowling around the house late at night or to someone in the backyard. She knew when it was go time even if those times were 5 years apart. She single handedly changed dozens and dozens of peoples opinions on pitbulls. She was a good dog and will be missed by many. The tributes keep rolling in as word spreads amongst my friends and families. They are sharing all the pics they have over the years of all of us together. When my daughter was two I heard my dog yelp. I came into the room to find my daughter with her finger shoved up her butt to the second knuckle hahah my young son would ride her like a horse much to her dismay. But she never complained or even avoided the kids. Even as she got old she would rather be in the playroom getting tortured by my son than upstairs sleeping.

10 Likes

@PoppaPuff,

That is very sad. I’m very, very sorry for your loss. I understand how you could look at her and think she was still young yet at 12.:cry:

I am still getting over my loss of Hyde. I looked at him and told myself he was still healthy because he had a healthy appetite. He was always watching me when I was in the kitchen. If I opened a cupboard or the frig, he’d pull himself up and go to the edge of the carpet where the living room and kitchen meet and lay down there, eyes constantly on me, in hopes a treat was coming, which frequently happened in his last 2 months.

My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your 9 y.o. daughter, since your beautiful, beloved dog was with her for her entire life. :heartbeat:

No matter how bad it gets before it starts to get better, no you are not alone. Many of us sympathize with you.

My heart goes out to you and your family. :heartbeat:

@Meesh, these words have had a profound effect on me. I am not ready yet, but I will get another dog when I am. It would feel selfish to not get another dog, when there are so many homeless one out there. I was thinking only of my painful loss, instead of thinking about how happy I could make a rescue dog. Thank you for that!

It also wouldn’t be fair to Jackie to not get her a playmate. I’ll get her a companion close to her age.

I’ve been haunted since I got Jackie by the memory of a 13 year old, female, golden retriever that was at the shelter. I wish I had taken that one home as well and given her a happy last year or two. I was also selfish at that time. I will not be so self absorbed the next time. If the shelter has a very old dog, I will bring that one home also.

Peace and love to all,
C50

7 Likes

Aww! That made me tear up! I’m so glad to hear this! Cheers to the next shelter dog who rescues YOU! :grin:

7 Likes

I am sorry for your loss, and the effect it had on your family. Best wishes Mano.

4 Likes

Definitely looks like a loved Doggy…

3 Likes

2nd Chance and Vinnie

16 Likes

Yes he’s as evil as he looks in the picture :smiling_imp:

15 Likes

LOL Must be all that religion :church: you’ve forced on him! :wink: :cat2:

:evergreen_tree:

7 Likes

He’s a strange dog. Thinks he’s a pit bull. FFS don’t go near him when he’s eating :rofl:

8 Likes

Reminds me of Wicket everytime I see him :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

:joy: yeah he looks like that when he’s due a hair cut :+1:

3 Likes

yeah… THIS, will make them the envy of the dog neighborhood. I’ll say one thing, It’s a Damn Good Thing for the two of them they ARE Pitbulls. They’d have to be, to pull those outfits off. They just better hope not to run into any packs of coyotes, they’d never live it down. Very funny pic, still wouldn’t walk within 1/2 mile of either of these animals unless the owner was on site with 15 tranq. darts.

regards,

mike28086

4 Likes

Snow dog enjoying a place to run around. He’s staring at the screen as I scroll through all these nice animals.

13 Likes