Show your animal

8 Likes

My little Pussy

10 Likes

This baby roadrunner payed me a visit yesterday. The roadrunner is the NM state bird.

11 Likes

IMPORTANT MESSAGE For DOG Owners
There have been several dogs dying due to blue green algae in lakes and ponds
Dogs die within a few hrs of swimming in the water.
For many, time near a lake or pond is the perfect way to spend a lazy, summer day.

But recently, a fun day on the water turned deadly for pets.

On Aug. 8, Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz took their three dogs to a pond in Wilmington, North Carolina. Their doodle mix, Harpo, got in the water, while the two West Highland terriers, Abby and Izzy, stayed on the water’s edge.

Later that night, the three dogs became seriously ill, with all of them experiencing symptoms such as seizures or foaming at the mouth. Despite Martin and Mintz taking their pets to a veterinary hospital, the dogs died the next day.

Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz’s three dogs all died after coming in contact with toxic blue-green algae in North Carolina.
Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz’s three dogs all died after coming in contact with toxic blue-green algae in North Carolina. (Photo: Courtesy Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz)

The cause of death was the blue-green algae in the pond. The aquatic plant has also killed two dogs in Texas and another one in Georgia.

Learn what blue-green algae is and how to protect pets from getting in contact with it:

What is blue-green algae?
According to Dr. Jan Stevenson, a professor of algal ecology at Michigan State University, blue-green algae is a form of toxic bacteria called cyanobacteria. While the organism is not actually algae, it contains chlorophyll that makes it look similar to the plant. The algae is usually found at or near the water’s surface and can range in color from blue-green, bright green, or red. When the bacteria blooms, it can look like foam, scum, or spilled paint. The algae can also have a pungent or musty smell, but not all blooms give off an odor. Even when a bloom has dissipated, toxins can still remain in the body of water.

“These toxins are a problem for people as well as pets if they go swimming in water where these algae are growing,” said Stevenson.

Algae is commonly found in shallow, still bodies of water such as small lakes and ponds, stated the research organization Sea Grant Michigan. Stevenson said the bacteria is also common in lakes with fertilizer runoff and warm water temperatures.

However, the dark green algae usually seen at beaches is most likely not toxic, said Stevenson. Called cladophora, it often stays at the bottom of a pond or lake and only comes up to the surface if brought up by waves.

BC-MI–Algae-Michiga.JPG
FILE - In this Aug. 3, 2014 file photo, algae is seen near the City of Toledo water intake crib in Lake Erie, about 2.5 miles off the shore of Curtice, Ohio. Environmentalists, scientists and farmers agree that agriculture runoff is feeding the blue-green algae blooms on Lake Erie that are linked to the toxins found in the drinking water of 400,000 people last weekend. But how much of a role do the farms play? Researchers know some of the answers, yet there are still many unknowns. (AP Photo/Haraz N. Ghanbari) (Photo: Haraz N. Ghanbari, AP)

More: A couple took their 3 dogs to a pond. Then toxic algae killed the pets

More: Dangerous blue-green algae found in 2 metro Detroit lakes

Why does blue-green algae make dogs sick?
The toxins in the bacteria can cause dogs to become ill after drinking or swimming in contaminated water for a long period of time, said Stevenson. For canines that ingest contaminated water, it can cause long-term health problems such as liver damage.

“It depends on the exposure, and how people or pets are exposed to it,” he said. “If the pets or people drink the water, they can ingest the toxins, and get nauseous, have diarrhea or even die if they drink enough of the toxins and if there’s enough toxins in the water.”

The professor said the algae can also cause severe irritation that can cause a dog to lose its fur. However, if a dog swims in a contaminated body of water for five to 10 minutes, or takes a few gulps of water, they most likely will not become ill.

In addition, blue-green algae can make humans sick, with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, twitching, paralysis, cardiac or respiratory difficulty and liver failure. The bacteria can also cause skin irritation, rashes and gastrointestinal issues. Stevenson said while algae poisoning can be deadly for animals, he has not seen a person die from ingesting or swimming in infested waters.

How can I protect my dog?
According to Stevenson, ways to protect your dog from blue-green algae include:

Avoid bodies of water that are cloudy, have green algae near the surface, or floating particles.
If unsure about a pond or lake containing the bacteria, it’s best to avoid it.
Call a veterinary hospital if a dog begins showing symptons.
Sea Grant Michigan also suggests:

Rinse off pets that have been swimming.
Pay attention to any warning signs posted at the beach.
More:

6 Likes

blue green algae forms in lakes here up in the cascade mountains every year, no farms or anything upstream, just peaks and snow.

stay safe,

6 Likes

From the Washington State Board of Health

How do I know if a bloom is toxic?

Not all cyanobacterial blooms are toxic. Even blooms caused by known toxin producers may not produce toxins or may produce toxins at undetectable levels. Since cyanobacterial toxins can be lethal to animals in relatively small amounts, caution should always be taken when a bloom occurs. As cells die, toxins are released into surrounding waters. Some toxins, such as microcystins, are very stable and can remain in the water for days or weeks after the bloom has disappeared. Scientists do not know what triggers toxin production by cyanobacteria.

Only laboratory tests can confirm whether a bloom is toxic or non-toxic.

Signs that a cyanobacterial bloom is toxic may include large numbers of dead fish, waterfowl, or other animals within or around a body of water. Terrestrial animals found dead may have algae around the mouth or on the feet and legs, indicating possible ingestion of and contact with a toxic bloom.

My opinion - In the case of our pets, it’s best practice to assume that all cyanobacteria blooms are toxic and don’t let them swim in, or drink the water.

Footnote - Blue Green Algae is sold as a nutritional supplement.

5 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

17 Likes

These are a very, very beautiful doggy’s…Tibetan’s are huge…Would not like one chasing me down haha…Same with a Caucasian Sheppard…Probably one of the scariest breeds, next to a Pressa Canary…

Cuacasian Sheppard :

Pressa Canario :

K.

9 Likes

And nobody is breaking into your house when the big guy gets angry
I love Tibetans Mastiffs

8 Likes

Ding! We have a winner…

If I spent my life on the end of a chain I’d be a pretty nasty too.

5 Likes

Yep being chained up like that sucks, but I guess he would eat someone if he was not.
I would still snuggle with he Big Guy

4 Likes

I have to disagree with you on that one Stig. My opinion is that life on a chain and inattention would make a dog mean. They aren’t born that way.

That’d be one hell of a snuggle, wouldn’t it.

My wife just sent an email to this Breeder in Schomberg. asking about the pups.

11 Likes

I can’t get a still shot of this dog when she is awake. She never stops moving, so I shot a vid of her barking at her reflection. She is growing. She doesn’t have short doxxy legs.

8 Likes

Rolf

13 Likes

I love your pups name…That has the same origins of my Rott, Rollo…

Rollo, “the walker”…

Great looking dag Karma…

K.

2 Likes

:joy:

20 Likes

2 of mine. Sid vicious and Allison Paige

11 Likes

Brings back some memories man I used to have a bitch rotti fuckin miss that dog man everyone thinks they’re so vicious they’re really big cuddly soft arses :blush:

4 Likes