Simple door design?

You guys are much better at designing stuff than me, so I’m wondering if someone could help me design a simple door. I’ve got a simple rectangular opening framed in that looks like this:

For my previous boxes I’ve made doors that look like this:

It’s just a frame that fits within the opening and plywood that extends out past the sides…I just set it into the opening. The problem is these are bulky and overbuilt for what I need. I’ve tried black/white plastic but I have too much negative pressure and it sucks in lol

Is there something simple I can make that will work for this? I have tons of wood and plastic etc. Thanks for any suggestions!

9 Likes

I have done something similar to the door you’ve made. I assume the extra wood on the back is to wedge into the opening?

I’ve also used neodynium magnets to stick the door panel in place. You’d need to recess some holes for the magnet. I guess it’s a similar concept but saves you some weight.

4 Likes

Hinge it as it stands? If you could get some like kitchen cupboard hinges (maybe a bit more heavy duty) you’d probably be able to keep the design you’ve got but take the lumping it out the way away from you

5 Likes

A bit more heavy duty

5 Likes

Keep it hippy and go with a beaded curtain!!!

Pros: lightweight, cheap, sounds cool when you walk in or out, good air exchange
Cons: bad reflective properties, non existent security or stealth, wooden beads may mould

Lol…just kidding.
My carpentry skills are lacking…

10 Likes

I use 1" x 1" wood to make doors for my grow room.
Build the frame to the door opening dimensions and reinforce the frame with blocks at the corners or a cross member for sturdiness, then hinge one side and make sure it swings and closes properly.

Next, put the paneling on the door frame, making sure the hinged side has enough play to open and close.

I spent most of my adult life building residential housing… I can do it all, but prefer someone else do the mechanical/AC and the electricity throughout.

2 Likes

That is definitely the most stylish option lol

@anon58740919 nice idea but I forgot to mention I don’t have room to swing a door out. I could maybe go barn style with double doors but that probably be impossible for me to build haha

@Foreigner magnets could definitely work. Can they hold a few pounds? And yes the pic is the inside of the door that sits inside the door frame.

2 Likes

They are very strong. Much stronger than regular magnets.

Off the top of my head I used four smallish magnets to hold up a 2’x3’ piece of 3/4” MDF. A bigger door might need six but might be ok with four. If you go shopping for them just be sure to double check holding power.

3 Likes

If only there was a way to incorporate a pocket door, that would work very well for your needs… even if you had to cut it down in size a little. It would still take the whole front of your grow room, but pocket doors have a track in them and slide open.

Otherwise, you’ll have to do plug style door that you push in and pull out to use… like you’re doing now.

3 Likes

This guy says it willhold 12 pounds per magnet. You would need two for each point of contact.

There are perhaps better and cheaper engineering solution - but magnets are cool!

3 Likes

Nice, thank you. That’s more than enough holding strength, and I’m sure they’re out there cheaper.

Also, I agree that magnets are very cool, but how do they work??!?

6 Likes

Fyi barn doors most times do not sit flush. You will have light escaping. If it were me i would order neodymium magnets if you go the magnet route or just leave it where it jams in place.

1 Like

Ya nothing sits flush when I build it lol. Thinking I’ll go with the jam it in place system for now and swap in some magnets later if I can find them cheap. I have some vegging plants that are gonna need to be flipped soon.

What about a grow tent fabric curtain?

3 Likes

No. I mean, barn doors have a rail it has to ride on. Most of the time the rails are pretty far away from the wall. I think your plans to jam are the better of the idea for now. If you are having negative pressure issues, why not increase intake vent some to reduce some of the negative pressure? Plus you could get the zipper door kit. I think vivosun makes it.

1 Like

I think it would probably still suck in if unsupported, also I couldn’t find that fabric on the cheap anywhere in Canada. I probably would have made this whole third box out of it if i could.

@Reactorpwr i like negative pressure lol. I don’t think I necessarily have too much, just too much for a flimsy piece of plastic. I thought about some kind of strips of wood to support it like lath, but couldn’t think of a way to make it that would be quick and easy to open and close.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ll be using shower curtains with mylar glued to the inside faces.

How about a sheet of paneling on a hinge with a hook and eye and a c-handle. Make it an inch bigger than your opening and weather strip the perimeter.

2 Likes

My framing skills are limited to foam. Lol

Cuts like butter with a hot knife.

My veg extension…

16 Likes

You, Sir, are my hero.

5 Likes

Sexy with the foam! Use the dc power supply and nichrome wire to cut?

4 Likes