Single pistil on a male sour bubble

In the dioecious plant Silene latifolia (white campion), a hermaphrodite-inducing mutation was found to be localized to the Y chromosome in the gynoecium-suppression region (Miller and Kesseli, 2011). The Y chromosome plays a key role in sex determination in S. latifolia , and three sex-determining regions have been identified on the Y: the female suppressor region, an early stamen development region, and a late stamen development region. When hermaphrodites were used as pollen donors, the sex ratio of offspring they produced through crosses was biased toward females.

I wonder if this is the study that was referenced.

3 Likes

Hmm I canā€™t say for sureā€¦ the literature about this is vast and the rabbit hole goes deep :neutral_face:
I donā€™t remember coming across this paper though.

From what I understand from genetics(very limited) they used the known modes of inheritance classification.

And ran their problem plants through a pedigree analysis

For an added layer of pleasure, letā€™s say they each have very strict rules and some overlap lol

Thatā€™s how they came to the conclusion that our beloved pistillate males were x to autosome.

I tried to get definitive answers about all this intersex stuff and its a crap shoot, ā€œit dependsā€ kind of dealā€¦

A perfect example of this would be peyote purple

This line is feminized but when Charlie first released it, he called it regular due to males popping here and there. Thereā€™s a thread somewhere on the internet where him and another breeder talk openly about how he brought the line to 95%+ female(from 75%, Iā€™d guess) ā€œthrough careful selectionā€

If you want to read more I posted some links months back about s1 males and suchā€¦

I think itā€™s great that more and more people want to learn about the genetics of our favorite plants :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I have just found out Iā€™m a member of the BOG male with a pistil club.My SourBluetooth male has pistils on 3 small spots.Im going to run him with his Twin out the seed Sister and log it so anyone want to see what this shit does lasso up a seat weā€™re going in hot made the decision to Go ahead Odin save my soul.The Twin Hoedown is commencing Iā€™m to far committed.Do or die

3 Likes