Size of scrog

Hello everyone,

Making a scrog “screen” from pvc and nylon string. It’s been years since I last made one. Curious what you experienced scrogers think is the ideal size of the holes?

Running two rdwc buckets in a 4x 8 tent. Vegging under two leds early on. Then 1000w mh in a cooltube. 1000w hps for flower.

Appercaite any advice!

3 Likes

I’d say 3-4 inch squares is pretty ideal.

3 Likes

Depending on the strain and if you have a lot of headroom as to how far you want them spaced but I agree with @beacher with 3 to 4 inch squares.

As an example. I feel that if you have high power lights and you are wanting to get a really tall canopy with deep penetration then you dont want them to close or you wont get the light reaching down to the bottom bud sites. This is the case for me so I use about 6 inch squares. So I use a SCROG technique but the bud sites go down about 3 feet. While others have shallower canopies but more densely packed.

3 Likes

1.5 inch. I started with chicken wire with its 1" holes. Then found some green plastic gardening stuff with the 1 1/2"
holes and liked it much better.
Also, ran mine 18" above pot so it’s easy to work beneath. Grew AK47 like this 2yrs.
Screen size was 2ftd x 5ftL.

2 Likes

Recently made one myself for my first scrog.
Was a fun project to build as well.

Mine are about 2-3 inch sized.
I’m very happy with that size for now.
It’s my first scrog though so i might still adjust them next time.

Very curious to see what you’ll be growing with that scrog. Can’t wait to follow your progress

6 Likes

I like my first screen to be 2" holes. Then, if needed a second screen with 3-4" holes more for a trellise.

7 Likes

I use a green wire garden fence it’s 3 x 2 holes and firm enough to tie things down to

I also start my net only 8 inches from the dirt

Peace

2 Likes

Used some green garden fence as my 2nd screen because i needed a fast solution for my big stretch. Am a little disappointed that i had to find a quick fix this way.
Fun thing about using those fisheyes and wire is you can easy cut away the wire and it doesn’t screw with your buds. I’m not looking forward to possibly having to cut open the garden fencing to harvest properly
Will definitely also make a 2nd trellis like my first one next time but indeed also with some larger holes.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the input!

@wrdboy
I just bought some of these and some pvc to build the frame.

Will upload some finished photos in the next few days. Its Thanksgiving here in Canada this weekend, lots of running around might be next week.

Just topped/fimmed yesterday, will do another two to get tops to get 8 main branches for the screen. Thinking of weaving these to the four sides and corners with secondarys filling out the rest. Trigger 12/12 at around 70% fill.

Never ran this strain (sluricane from in house genetics) no idea the stretch on these.

2 Likes

Hey Bam, love to see McGyver growers doing their thang… nice framework, some say a
garden isn’t complete until it has PVC in it somewhere… lol

Ok, are you doing a real SCROG grow or just using this as a trellis support. Many do not know the difference… 2 plants should fill that up… train them under the net during veg training them and tying them in place until you fill 3/4 of the entire screen… flip lights to 12/12 and start feeding all the budsites up thru the holes… I used to use a crochet needle, the hooked end was perfect …
I learned to place my screen up high enough to work below it, so 18" is what I found from soil height… after you remove all the vegetation beneath the screen to increase air flow, I put a small fan blowing upward from below…

.sounds like your gonna do it right bro

1 Like

This is a small tent just to see what it can yield

7 small moms in a small space only 30 inches overall hight

Peace
Paps

3 Likes

Just dropped my scrog in.

1 Like

these plants really didn’t need a scrog they grew into straight bushes with 0 training.

1 Like

Bro you have a very nice clean setup right here… this is actually a trellis grow and it’s a bit
low maybe, probably need the training a foot or more higher. but dang if it’s not uniform as
heck huh, very nice. I think your going to yield pretty dang good when all is said and done…
might even need a 2nd trellis 2 more feet up depending on their stretching… besides, you had
way to many plants to do a full on traditional SCROG. I ran one for years and can fill a screen this size with buds with just 6 plants. You veg a little longer for sure, but all plants are layed down and grown vertically under the screen (2" holes max) and when screen is 80%
full… flips lights to flower, start feeding budsites up thru the holes… haha, I’d use crochet needles and bread ties cut in pieces… It’s a lovely site seeing a screen full like that… but brother, I think your gonna kill it with looks of things… very uniform canopy… nice

1 Like

From 2 weeks ago, only foto I could find of the net.

3 nets, 4x4

1 Like

I made my 2" but kind of wish I had done 3"

3 Likes

MVC-042S
these are the little babies i started using instead of a net very easy to use and they work great.

3 Likes

Gorilla Bars Adjustable Mesh Netting tied with black zip ties.

It is tied together corners secured to move complete trellis up or down and still remain stable.

1 Like

Please Respect this is my first scrog and Any help,
suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

These plants are 12 Inches and some at 10 inches and topped…

1 Like

I’d be down with that, I favor 3" and shoot for a node in every square.

1 Like