Small Grow on the Big Island Deux

After completing my first grow.

https://overgrow.com/t/a-small-grow-on-the-big-island/134665

I have decided to start a second grow the last grow is nearly to harvest
it began with WidowMaker seeds (White Widow x AK47 created by @repins12 and gifted to me by my long time amigo @grouchyoldman).

For this second grow I started with the 2 WidowMaker seeds I had left and 4
Creamy Black Lights @Nagel420 via @GrouchyOldMan dropped them in peroxide and water and germinated them, 1 WM and 3 CBL made it to rooting cubes.

20 Likes

3 Likes

12 March into cups they go.

15 March

23 March
Into 3 gallon containers filled with a fresh supply of Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil. For now will let this soil provide all the nutrients for the seedlings. Now comes decision time. To top or not to top, in the previous (only) grow 2 plants were left to grow out 1 topped at the 4th node and one at the 5th the reasoning behind this approach was due to the humidity and weather here on the windward side of Hawai’i Island. A pleasant surprise was the natural structure of the WM plant was lean and airy.

6 Likes

March 29
The Creamy Black Lights look to be vegging faster.

4 Likes

Looking at and pondering the next steps with this grow. I am not sure that I want to do them all alike…imagine that I am overthinking things again.

Here they are as of 3/29
WidowMaker there is a chance that this will be a male, leaning toward letting it run au natural.

CBL are feminized so no concern on any balls
@BU2B mentioned that I don’t need to top the 4 mainlines but I am thinking I would like to do that with one of these at the 4th node and let the other go without topping the 4 lines.

CBL #3 is taking off! how about the bending the mainline over and letting it go?

3 Likes

April 2 2024
Just about ready to top 2 of the CBL for PPP training. These 4 plants have absolutely exploded they are still under the little LED setup until I harvest the first grow.

4 Likes

The topped CBL plants already are ready to start the PPP training. The first of the tie downs are in place.

The other two are going wild 1 CBL and the last of my WidowMaker(hoping it will be female).

Creamy Black Light

WidowMaker

4 Likes

5 day vacation with my kids on the far side of the island. Perfect weather and a great family time. Came home to happy plants.
WidowMaker

Creamy BL

5 Likes

Damn 4 days later and both of the natural plants have gotten rather lanky.
Happily still no signs of WPM, or pests of any kind. All the plants were treated early on with sulfur spray and One N Done pest spray.

As for the topped plants…

4 Likes

I think you’ve driven the mildew back into the ocean, so to speak. It’s been eradicated!!!

2 Likes

They all look robust @TARpits, nicely done.

Any early comments on your toppings/training? How are they responding?

There’s a BroScience meme that sez ya can’t top Autos.

True Dat?

Hasn’t been my experience.

-Grouchy

2 Likes

The 2 topped plants seem to be responding well. I topped them at the 4th node and tied em down, I chose not to top the 4 mainlines. I like the look and shape of the topped plants, they are shorter, compact and the tops are all nearly the same height for soaking up the LED flame. I would continue to top my plants moving forward it suits my style.

Current photo of the grow house.

I don’t have enough experience in auto topping but I will say that it does seem to slow down the maturing by a week or so. I saw female hair about a week earlier on both the plants that were not topped.

2 Likes

That may have been ‘mor the norm’ in the early days but the plants have progressed so much in the meantime. I’ve seen so much that defied ‘the old rules’ … My attitude is all bets are off (except the basics)
There’s some interesting threads here explaining these ‘heresies’ :wink: in great detail…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I don’t have enough experience to know bout such things but I topped 2 autos and got a great yield. This grow I an going to keep all the plants separate and see if the yields and bud sizes are between them.

Well I topped em and they survived and flowered, so I don’t know what else to say except perhaps ignorance could be considered bliss.
From last grow.

2 Likes

A bud and a flower of a different type. First time ever having an orchid bloom from a cutting for me.

2 Likes

I was being ‘Ironical’ and prolly obscure in the process. :nerd_face:

As you showed in your last grow @TARpits, modern AutoCanna strains are a whole diff deal. A pack or two of hellfire Fem autos w elite genetics will fill a closet full of mason jars PDQ.

Good work,
-Grouchy
PS, That orchid is a beauty!

1 Like

Will be doing a search for this on The OG. I am intrigued.

Starting the last grow as a noob/cub I didn’t feel bound by tradition. There were real concerns about humidity and pests. Glad you encouraged me to try it I am satisfied with the results.
Thank you Mr. Grouchy for all your help.

1 Like

8 weeks into grow deux…Just started bloom nutes. Still no sign of powdery mildew or pests of any kind. It’s been rainy and cool for the last few weeks got 2 inches overnight. The greenhouse setup seems to be a great option to get natural air flow and keep the girls out the rain.
The untopped CBL is willowy and wide open and a good 10 inches taller than the untopped WidowMaker photo 2.

These two topped WM are slightly behind in maturing but the bud sights are all level with the lighting.

2 Likes