Some questions about AutoFem and F1 Fast breeding

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for the last few months, reading up on reversing, cloning, storing and various other useful techniques, and have decided I want to give breeding autofems from my favourite photos a go.

The plan is to run 25x Seedstockers AK420 autos in small containers, select the best one based on vigour, reverse the entire plant, collect as much pollen as possible, and divide it over a few long term storage containers in the freezer.

:ballot_box_with_check: Female auto pollen collected

For selecting the photo to be pollinated, I will be making a selection of 10x Exodus Cheese seeds, as I don’t have access to the clone. Before flowering the 10 mom plants, I will take ±5 clones of each for storage in the freezer. After selecting the best mom based on my preference, clones of this plant will be resurrected.

Finally, the clones will be put in flower and pollinated by the AK420 auto pollen, to (hopefully) end up with some ExoCheeseSelection x AK420AutoSelection F1 Fast feminized seeds

:ballot_box_with_check: F1 fast seeds collected + bonus ExoCheeseSelection photo pollen and S1 seeds

To hopefully arrive at a “stable” autoflowering cultivar, I will have to do a lot more breeding, stabilizing and selecting, but this is where my questions lie.

Question 1: Will 100% of the F1 generation be “fast flowering”?
Question 2: Will 0% of the F1 generation be autoflowering?
Question 3: If you cross F1 x F1 to arrive at F2, will 25% of F2 be autoflowering?
Question 4: When backcrossing F1 x AK420AutoSelection stored pollen to arrive at Bx1, would 50% of Bx1 be autoflowering?
Question 5: Would selecting and selfing an autoflowering phenotype of F2 generation to arrive at F2S1 be 75% autoflowering?
Question 6: Would selfing a selected auto pheno of Bx1 to arrive at Bx1S1 result in 100% autoflowering?
And finally, question 7: If backcrossing Bx1 again with the stored auto pollen to arrive at Bx2, would this result in 100% autoflower progeny?

Or perhaps in short: what is the fastest (least generations) way to go from an F1 “Fast” cross, to a stable autoflowering variety?

So sorry for the barrage of questions in my first ever post, but I hope answers to these questions will be useful for other users as well! :innocent:

3 Likes

Here’s a simple chart from night owl showing the 3 generations it takes to go from photo to full auto.

14 Likes

To answer question one and two, there will be zero autos in the F1 generation.

Unless both parent have some auto genes in the ancestry, you wont see the auto traits as it is recessive. Similar to blue eyes in humans.

I have limited experience with question three (small runs) but i can say the percentile varies. Can be a luck of the draw if you’re working small numbers.

3 Likes

Okay nice! That means my guess for question 2 and 3 was correct, F2 progeny should be 25% auto, F1 progeny 0%, F3 of the auto phenos should be 100% auto.

But that should also mean that a backcross of an F2 auto with the original auto pollen should also give 100% autos (all aa alleles) (question 4), and thus also a selfing of an F2 auto pheno would result in 100% autoflowering (question 5).

Questions 6 and 7 seem to be redundant.

So, going from F1 “fast flowering” to a stable autoflower will take 3 generations at minimum, for whatever strategy you select (selfing, backcross, normal cross)?

Are these guesses correct?

Cheers all, this is clearing up alot of confusion!

2 Likes

check out GrowDudes.com with Ethos as a guess he answers all the question you have - let me check and get you the eposide #

1 Like

Hey mate, I can’t find on that page what you are referring to, is it an interview or podcast with Ethos? @hawkman

1 Like

DudeGrow.com Spotify podcast will get you there