Something Old / Something New

2 weeks into my next run. White Widow from Fastbuds (something old) and Whiskey Zulu from 20 Mendo (something new). Both autoflowers. So far all is going well. Laziness with humidity control maybe slowed them a bit, but they’re loving the new humidifier I got. I also removed 2 upper fan leaves yesterday to get more light to the lower shoots.

Here’s the widow, coming in tight and a little squatty so far.

Here’s the zulu. She had a couple issues out the gate. One of the first true leaves came out mutated with a forked shape, one side being twisted and curled. The side shoot coming from that node was also severely stunted, so I took it off. Here’s the shoot I removed, while it’s counterpart has about an inch of internodal space already.

Here’s a shot from a few days ago that better shows the malformed leaf.

She also flopped over back and forth for a few days before she really found legs. It’s possible I should have planted the seed a bit deeper :man_shrugging:

As I said, 2 weeks old today, so there’s plenty to go. I’ll keep posting progress to this thread as I go.

11 Likes

you can always add a lil extra soil after they stretch. Even with auto flowers.
An oscillating fan from the beginning will help strengthen the stem so they will never fall over if your light is close enough.

Personally i would not have removed large solar panels that the plant just finish putting its resources into developing.

3 Likes

Ayee good work over here. I’ll definitely be checking back to see what you make of it! Just about done with an auto run myself and have a lot to learn. Goodluck :pray:t2::purple_heart:

2 Likes

“Personally i would not have removed large solar panels that the plant just finish putting its resources into developing.”

Yea, that kind of thing is generally considered a no-no with autos since you typically want to stress them as little as possible. In my personal case, I don’t mind if they don’t get quite as big as they could for this run.

Lately I haven’t had any trouble getting good sized plants. Pictured below is a Kosher Tangie auto I grew a while ago. This plant also lost a side branch just as it started flowering, about a week older than my current ones. It still nearly outgrew my tent and yielded just over 5 oz.

4 Likes

3 more days and some recharge, and we’re starting to look like something. I started training them, though the widow is so dense. I did a little pruning on it, but I think I’m gonna take off those bottom leaves too.

Widow

Zulu

1 Like

Hell yeah! I bet the Whiskey Zulu comes out great, I really like Twenty20mendo so far.

1 Like

3 weeks old, still going well. They do seem like they might have grown a bit bigger if I had controlled the humidity better early on, and my VPD readings have been consistently high.

The zulu looks like she hit a bit of a calcium deficiency, but I think I got her back on track. Also, Sunday was the first real feeding, so, still reading the plant.

Widow

Zulu

I was finally able to get in there and open up the widow and remove some of the shoots that were waste. The zulu is training very nicely. With the exception of one straggler branch, all the tops form a pretty even canopy, and she’s not excessively leafy. I lollipopped her a bit as well.

1 Like

I’m interested to see how the whiskey Zulu finished buds look compared to mephistos wedding. I grew sidecar which was trainwreck x whiskey Zulu. Super gassy and sharp pine needles. It has triangle kush in it so for sure it’ll be super gassy.

1 Like

4-Week update: they’ve come a long way in the last week!

Still going fairly well. Running a stronger light this round and I ran into some deficiency issues. I still run into over/short issues with calcium in general, still getting a feel for reading the plants. Fed them on Sunday, and they bounced back. The zulu looked worse for wear, but I think she’s back on track. Gonna give her a little more calmag next time I can water, either tonight or tomorrow.

Widow

Zulu

2 Likes

Zulu stretched a bit more than I expected, so I used a little training clip to get the main stalk back in line with the rest of the canopy.

However, all the new growth is still coming in all stringy and twisted. I suspect it’s from being a bit overwatered, but she’s due for a drink today. I plan on just giving some silica, a small dose of calmag, epsom salt, and a bit of recharge. She had a lot of the base nutrients this week, so I feel like I should hold back on those for this watering.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on posting another midweek update, but I finally remembered to put a ruler in the picture, and the zulu got a bit taller than I expected it to. :man_shrugging: I had to swap their places because it was getting to be a pain in the ass to reach past it getting to the widow.

So far so good. I think the zulu is stabilizing now, the buds are starting to fatten up a bit. The widow is also starting to get some frost going. I’ll start trying some macro pics this coming week.

1 Like

Those are getting tall fast, damn lol.

1 Like

Quick update for 5 weeks. Not much news to speak of, just trying to keep the zulu fed. It seems to be burning through nutes as fast as I can water it.

3 Likes

Since I had them outside for feeding I decided to do this week’s update a day early and post some better close-ups. Not much to say right now. It seems like the zulu is either gonna take longer or give a less impressive harvest if I can drag her to the finish line. Time will tell.

Zulu

Widow

1 Like

Happy Easter!

Zulu

Widow

1 Like

These pics are from last night, but today is 8 weeks. The zulu is getting pretty resinous, but it doesn’t smell very terpy to me. If I can drag it to the finish line, I’m not that confident it’s gonna be very good.

The widow is coming along very well. She smells great.

Zulu

Widow

2 Likes

That Zulu does not look like an easy trim lol

How’s that Zulu finishing up? Has the smell changed yet?

9 and 1/2 weeks. They’re finishing up ok. The widow foxtailed on me a bit, but it looks like backing off the light might have stopped it. I’m hoping that doesn’t reduce potency too much.

The zulu looks nearly dead like it won’t make it, but the buds have actually come a long way. The buds gained a lot of density since I last gave a squeeze test, and the trichomes came in better than I expected. Both look to me like the trichomes are clouding up a bit.

Zulu

Widow

Happy 4/20!

1 Like

Damn that Zulu looks rough but hopefully the Smoke makes up for it, they both look super fat and chonky