Space Man's 12 seed grow

Hi Everybody,
This is one of my first crosses, Tiger Jack.
I crossed Golden Tiger male from seed with Jack Herrer female clone.
I know, I know, this is not a pure method for seed crossing but my state hasn’t been legal a year and I was limited to what was available at the time.
Actually, despite our legal status, no commercial outlets are open for any cannabis products, only medical dispensaries with card.
11 of the seeds were put in baggy/coffee filter Fri the 17th.
The other was baggied 7 days earlier, by the Full moon 100% sprouted.

So we have the maximum allowable plants, I haven’t read in the legislation what exactly constitutes 12 plants but I will assume this to be the letter of the law. I’m actually growing these for seed and hope to get a pollinated fem outdoors.
Some of the best weed I’ve had had tons of seed, we actually used to bitch about taking up too much weight from our oz’s.
Oh the stupidity of youth!
It never once occurred to us to save any.

Here is the bag 11 seeds came from:

The other is from another bag containing only one seed that I found after sweeping my dining room floor.
I’ll post a pick later but it is the biggest plant in the photo below:

The large one is light N, I just hit her with liquid fish.

I’ll be posting updates not too regularly but will give grow room details, lighting, method, soil, etc…
Welcome.

17 Likes

Nice babies, that cross should be sweet!

2 Likes

:seat: :popcorn: :movie_camera:

2 Likes

This recreational limbo sucks if you arent a cardholder.
Anyways im watching. Good luck and good vibes toward a happy harvest.

4 Likes

Its hard to tell with the law man. Definitions.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-333-27953

Alaska’s the only similar situation.

1 Like

Like what the hell does this mean

1 Like

Exactly.
That’s why I am assuming 12 total is the limit.
Of course, I’ll cull the weakest males, only one daddy under that tent, so I’ll fill the gap with some thing else.

But now that I’m thinking on it, the term “AND ANY” means “in addition to” in legalese but later on tn the exact same sentence,

• "provided that no more than 12 marihuana plants are possessed, cultivated, or processed on the premises at once;"

Huh?
To which I read to mean you can’t have the harvest of 12 plants drying or curing and start popping any new seeds or growing clones. :unamused:

Haven’t much to report, they are growing well, with the exception of the one at the top center and the weather here sucks, .

Pardon for the edit but I want to welcome beacher, ReikoX, Misolo.
Very welcome indeed.

Summer grows in my basement tend to suffer from hi humidity but this year I can rout window air conditioned AIR right in to my grow room.
It’s in the rear of the house that is sheltered by cedars.
Sorry no pics of my house for understandable reasons.

9 Likes

What i wonder is at which point does, if ever, ‘marijuana produced’ become ‘10 ounces of marijuana’?

2 Likes

@Misolo313

For other scheduled plants like poppies, stems, leaves and even root mass can be considered “straw” of the offending plant.
This law, while an incredible, long overdue, power of the people act, still leaves plenty of room for “interpretation” imo.

Here’s an updated pic
Down to 11, that one runt didn’t make it.

Presently I’m lighting with one 50watt 6500k LEDMO flood,(18/6 light/dark) it gives the plants a little bleached look.

I’ll be adding full spectrum lights soon…

7 Likes

21 day update.

In my never ending quest for truth, justice and a pest-free, indoor, organic garden, it’s my sad fate to announce fungus gnats have returned, and this time, with attitude.
Within a 48hr period my virgin yellow stickemup traps had been violated no less than 40 X by those lil’ buggers!
Over the years that I’ve battled fg’s, I’ve probably tried every method on the web for stopping these brutes, …twice.

Time for a review:

Insecticdal soap/ (potassium salts) spray only = initially effective, short duration(have to reapply)

Neem / spray only = 98% effective, takes down population quick though incompletely, short duration(have to reapply) drenching can harm a plant.

Pyrethrins / spray and drench = Effective but as a drench,damages soil’s microherds somehow.

Dawn regular or Joy(lemon) brand dishsoap / spray, drench and soak = 100% effective, kills insects at all stages by suffocation, not chemically or by nerve agent.
PITA, long soak times for soak, multiple rinses, though easier to re establish micro herds. 100% necessary to bring in plants from outdoors or other growers.

Mosquito bits(Bacillus thuringiensis ) / drench and soak = 98% effective though some live through, have to reapply regularly.

Organic mulches, rice bran, pine bark / n/a = tend to increase and attract fg’s. Mychorrhiza fungal treatments do as well.

Raw Charcoal Powder mulch / n/a = Tested, but not completely, some limited success. At the time of this testing, my second attempt using RCP failed due to lack of sufficient supply. Needs retesting.
Observation suggests RCP as a dead, inert material provides quite a barrier to fg’s. Would have to bottom water after application, good for SIP’s. 1/2+ deep.

Sharp sand and “Play” / n/a sand = Sharp sand has bigger particle size than play sand, less chance of caking.
Despite its name, sharp sand particles are rounded, not sharp, fg’s can navigate very narrow gaps like sharp sand has.

My current test, crushed granite/grani-grit starter (EDIT) wrong size, see my next reply below.
And Pot-Popper nematodes applied before granite mulch.

Grani-grit starter is maybe double the particle size of sharp sand but is shaped like chips or mini slabs, no rounded edges. Doesn’t cake with watering, though I think some additives like molasses would.

Here are nematodes, my first grow, second application to these pots.
Each pack for 5 gal of soil, my grow has approx 2.3 gals of soil. I’ll use a whole pack.

All done.

This am NO fg’s had violated the other virgin side of that stickemup trap.

Those leaf tips sneaking in there is my only surviving Afghani Gold that I had at another location. Lopsided branching. She :pray: hung on like a champ when all about her were dropping off.

I just upped the cal/mag by a third, from 4 drops per 50 oz to 6 drops.

Forgot to mention I installed 120watt FS led blurple, expecting that bleaching to go away.

5 Likes

My go to defenses to get rid of the larvae are BTi, nematodes, and OG Biowar. Of those, the BTi is most convenient. I usually use Gnatrol WDG because it’s a powder and I can mix it stronger than mosquito bits. Nematodes are awesome, but it’s hard to get them alive here, at least not reliably. OG Biowar works okay, but it’s not as good as claimed and is expensive for what you get.

Gnat Nix! on the surface and sticky traps on pot edges keep the flyers at bay.

I can usually completely eliminate an infestation of I do those things immediately.

YMMV. Good luck, I hate those bastards! I hope they stay away this time!

3 Likes

Thanks Howard and welcome!

Gnatrol, that was one I forgot, I’m sure there’s a couple others.
Diluted 30% H2O2 is another … you can burn roots if you go too strong as well as your skin.

They always make a reappearance, with this mulch and coffee filter as membranes protecting the drain holes I want to block there access to the honeypot, my babies roots.

I have to make a correction to the above post but I don’t want to edit.
The bag linked is to Grani-Grit starter size, my example is grower size.

Not sure if tractor supply carries this but most grain elevators do.

1 Like

With a bit of dexterity and planning you can insert coffee filters in even small pots to block drain holes from fg’s.

Here’s one way I use with these very versatile 4x4x5 pots:

Snip two or three down some

Prefill before careful insertion

5 Likes

Quick update.
A new yellow, stickem up trap was set 4 days ago, first night 12 were caught; next night 7; last night 2.

plus 12 plants won’t fit in one tent so I segregated them by size into both.
Original tent,

Light setup,

Second tent,

Light setup,

That big light is this beauty,

$7 sale price Menards.
I’ll do a follow up post about that light later.

6 Likes

Menards…ill be back this weekend. 7 bucks??? Wild.

1 Like

Better check their web page first, they run out of stuff quick.

2 Likes

I always do. Almost everything in my room came from Menards.

1 Like

If you want to get ride of fungus gnats, and if you insist on using “organic” methods, try tobacco tea.

Soak a pouch of beech nut or red man chew in a gallon of warm water. Drench the soil with it. The nicotine in it will kill gnats. Follow up with a second drench a week later to kill any eggs that hatched.

Nicotine, spinosad, and pyrethrin are the only “organic” pesticides that have any real infestation knockdown capability. Everything else just discourages bugs from infesting in the first place.

4 Likes

lol
Totally forgot about tobacco! Thanks.

I have grown Sacred Aztec Tobacco, nicotiana rustica before and have about a pound of cured leaf left.
Just got up now, dug it out and cracked the jar for a sniff. Wonderful.
Probably in 3rd place for favorite smells, opium poppy flowers at #2 and, of course, #1 crushed, fresh hops cones. Heaven must smell like hops!
Never once considered it for indoor use.I grew it mainly for topical spray in my outdoor garden…
This tobacco is extremely potent and can kill you if not cured properly.
Actually try getting rid of it, it self sows even at 45°N.
(Edit)
The leaves of this plant are sticky with resin and you need rubber or nitrile gloves to handle it.
Nicotine and other tobacco alkaloids can be absorbed through the skin, again with sometimes fatal results.

https://www.worldseedsupply.com/product/nicotiana-rustica-sacred-aztec-tobacco-seeds/

7 Likes

Just an update on the fg problem.
Yesterday I poured out the granigrit from each pot separately and reintroduced fresh nematodes because of two developments.

First, I employ your run of the mill rubber heating mat 11x19 or so, 17 watt.
They are not supposed to get over 20F than the surrounding airtemp but I have seen wild oscillations in temps over the years using these things. So this year I invested in two heating mat regulators, ones that have sensors that attach to the mat with suction cups.
As extra insurance I tape it down and place a pot over it to keep it in place.
Set at 74F for about 4 days the temp at the mat was 105F!!! Not sure if nematodes could’ve survived that.

I haven’t time atm to figure wtf happened to the regulator but the second thing was the original pack of 'todes was 1/2 full of liquid and the others were merely moist, so I’m replacing those with a drier pack.

I rinsed additional granigrit and packed it somewhat more firmly than before.
Getting 2 or 3 each on the sticky traps/day.

If this fails it’s hello terbaccy dunk.
Thanks again @vernal

2 Likes