Strainly site closing down! Update! Strainly is going to stay!

Yes I was thinking the same thing myself… Just charge like $2 per transaction… I guess they just have a problem with payment options…

1 Like

It is at least a somaclonal variant from a tissue culture of a clone of a blueberry X black berry kush cross rather than just a plant selected from seed, so its not like someone would ever get the same plant by recreating the cross. At least they did some work to create that plant in that sense.

Biotech Insitute apparantly has been awarded a bunch of those patents. I was trying to search for other Cannabis patents and a lot of theirs came up. Hopefully some of their overly broad claims will be challanged.

1 Like

Yeah they are the worst I have seen so far. The utility patent they have is insane. From what I can gather it covers all breeding and cloning of the cannabis plant for any specific use. Name a terpene/cannabinoid/aroma/beneficial effect that you want to breed for and it’s covered under their patent. I think it even covers if you find a new one not specifically listed in their patent.

2 Likes

Screenshot_2020-09-15 Overgrow com

if i had a grow website with acess to thousans of cannabis plants id buy it for cheap and increase my website…become a bigger player!!
making moves…a authority on genetics with pics grow reports…data base cash for servers…go non profit and stack the board!!! save on taxes…or don’t someone will its a great op purity!!!
nvm stoned again…thinking big moves people are sleeping!

4 Likes

I told strainly they should consider charging it’s users a small fee and the seller a bigger fee to sell plus a cut each sale. Like ebay. The down side is it may weed out the smaller guy. The site needs to make funds some how though.

6 Likes

Strain/Breeder/Recognition. As far as small time hobbiests offering seeds, for a price . Of course you have to be honest , and not step on any toes but, seems like a rule of thumb ,when advertising a cross you had made is to state who the breeders that you originally obtained the genetics from, example: like og Kush , ok which breeder, (let’s say) crossed with a Landrace, alright, just give the original Lineage of your project, for Many reasons but, thats what has made sense to me, on the issue. A kind of a fairness check , shoe on the other foot. Could or should I myself get pissed, if another dude posts a strain he made using one of ‘my’ strains but, recognizing the origin? No because for one thing it goes against what it’s all about anyway, so yea, That ain’t too bad, if you ask me. Otherwise, wrong vibe & just more difficult restrictive BS . That’s how I rolled on Strainly , if you aren’t honest in the bean scene , it don’t seem yould last too dam long if you were full of it in Anyway period! Got to use your own pictures Yea, sort of important too,.!! Anyway, Later :peace_symbol: ReBoMaN

3 Likes

Yea, Man, I agree with what you are saying, I emailed them, said same thing, something reasonable , I don’t think members would have a Problem with that. I wondered how they made enough , w/ advertisers whatever, trading too but, not charging buyer or seller a nominal service charge for the platform and everything they provided. It was unique, and for the most part, I think the reviews at both ends helped as far as Risk. But, there are aholes out there , but, that’s pretty much every where. Later :peace_symbol: ReBoMaN

But any patent is only good for a clone. So it is meaningless, unless mj becomes legal and they sell clones like rose cultivars.

3 Likes

Yeah but if that clone is crossed to anything you start getting into royalty payments and licenses. If its legalized and all the dispo’s pick it up and do that, suddenly all the weed available has a patent attached to it. Slippery slope!

2 Likes

Hard to say. The semi-legal weed world is a cut-throat place. At least Strainly will nuke their databases if they do not come back online. For that reason I have for years now only discussed trades on another email server and not on any of the weed forum servers, including OG and Strainly.

As for the weed world and trust and rip-offs, just look at what happened to the Open Cannabis Project. Phylos Bioscammers conned people into submitting plant material to the OCP for preserving the genome with the intent of protecting their genetics from potential future patent claims. However, in fact Phylos was only intent from the beginning on using the genome database to create super breeds of weed to make a fat profit by out competing the very growers that submitted the plant material to them.

3 Likes

Not so. Everyone is in a lather about this. However plant patents only cover a specific genome that is asexually reproduced (meaning clones). They do not cover any hybrids (meaning seeds, even S1 seeds as they are sexually reproduced and will have a different genome) or sports (meaning chance plant mutations or chimeras, which will also have a different genome) of any patented plant. A plant patent only gives the patent holder the exclusive right to asexually reproduce the one clone that has the one genome that is patented. Now this is for plant patents only, and not plant variety protection, or utility patents. That is where the lawyers come in… and slippery slopes.

7 Likes

Well, there are several holes in this. There is a lot of arm waiving and claims being made, but not a lot has been tested in the courts regarding Cannabis. Phylos Bioscam, lawyers and others have fanned the fear flames while making a buck off of people. The USDA is still working through the legalization process of hemp. Mj still remains illegal at the federal level though. Despite what many believe overseas, it will likely remain that way with either Trump or Biden being elected. Biden has made a career of making drugs illegal, and his Veep has made a career out of putting pot smokers in prison. Trump will just keep the status quo. And in the future if they do legalize or decriminalize marijuana at the federal level (don’t hold your breath) this all only applies inside the USA. None of the US patents, plant, utility or variety protection apply outside of the USA unless they are also applied for and granted there.

Within the US, plant patents aside (they only apply to clones), the process of getting either a plant utility patent (PUP) or plant variety protection (PVP) is complicated. They are also expensive. In 2018 the Farm Bill that legalized hemp in the US also allowed a PVP to apply to clones as well as seeds and tubors. In order to get a PVP on a particular plant strain, the plant strain has to be new, distinct, uniform, and stable. In order to get a PVP for any strain seeds, you have to apply for the PVP and pay the $5,150 application fee, plus another estimated $5 grand for attorney fees, and you have to supply 3,000 viable seeds for an IBL strain, and 3,000 + 3,000 seeds from each parent of a hybrid strain. Currently they will only accept hemp strains of Cannabis seeds. They do not accept any mj strain seeds. That will not change until the feds make mj legal at the federal level. From the supplied seeds they will grow multiple generations of plants, and they must all be unique, uniform and STABLE over the successive generations to get a PVP. That would require consistent phenotype and chemotype plants. Not easy to do in my experience growing weed.

For a PUPs, these are mainly for GMO developers. Yes, a few have been issued for marijuana, like plant patents. But they are the very rare exceptions. Utility patents cannot be made for plants or plant qualities that are found in the wild. Meaning wild or landrace strains. The plants also have to have some new aspect not seen in the general population of Cannabis plants. Like being Roundup Ready, or having a GMO spliced in gene that allows it to be immune to PM. Or having a cannabinoid that does not exist in any other cannabis plant. PUP are also expensive to apply for and prove. More patent lawyers are involved in this process as well.

3 Likes

But then what about this utility patent that was granted to bioscam
It seems to cover all breeding and cloning for

A hybrid cannabis plant, or an asexual clone of said hybrid cannabis plant, or a plant part, tissue, or cell thereof, which produces a female inflorescence, said inflorescence comprising
a) a BT/BD genotype;
b) a terpene profile in which myrcene is not the dominant terpene;
c) a terpene oil content greater than about 1.0% by weight; and
d) a CBD content greater than 3%;

You’re saying this would only apply to GMO’s and not everyone in the US?

1 Like

I agree with this, except that PUP can apply to seed and progeny and isn’t limited to just GMO.

Also I have am pretty familiar with one PVP hemp variety that meets those requirements.

1 Like

They write it in a way that covers huge amounts of germplasm they have never even seen, but is out certainly out here. Hopefully none of that is enforceable, but they could still harass people by threatening to enforce it. They didn’t pay for it for fun.

1 Like

from the Strainly team:

This is a friendly reminder that you will need to close your listings on September 17.

You will have until September 30 to provide tracking numbers and complete all pending transactions.

Thanks in advance for a smooth closing.

4 Likes

Well, PUPs are not only for GMO generated plants, but it is hard to justify one by any other breeding method. Maybe CRispr? This particular PUP seems to try to patent any and all methods of cloning, breeding, flowering and growing of any and all types of Cannabis plants and all cannabinoids. It would and will fail in any courtroom.

1 Like

I never said that PUPs were only for GMO. But it lends itself to GMO plants, seeds and offspring. GMO genetics are easy to identify. Monsanto’s “Roundup Ready” genes are an example. Farmers cannot plant their own seed made from Roundup Ready corn, as Monsanto has the PUP and PVP on that. For 20 years anyway. After that? Hmmmm… Other genetics would be harder to prove. If I was not clear, PVPs and PUPs and can cover any plants, seeds or clones reproduced. Plant patents can only be issued for clones though. And yes, like corn, hemp now qualifies for PVPs and PUPs, and even patents. That industry is dominated by high volume commercially produced clones and fem seeds though, whereas marijuana is not. At least, not yet.

1 Like

What’s happens next is they sterilize the clones and they make it illegal to grow clones Not supplied by Big Farm. Of course in the sake of public safety.

And you buy your plants in the garden center at Walmart

EDIT: they can’t live off cigarettes forever.

2 Likes