Strains that are prone to Hermis

If you have some intention in breeding then is always the question about stable genetics. You dont want to have hermies evrywhers. Its true that it all depends from whom do you buy seeds and how much stress do you put on those ladies, but as i noticed there are strains that are more prone to hermis. Like Blueberry, Some Kush, Thai and Afgan landraces etc.

What do OGers think that are strains that are prone to herms by there knowledge and experiences? :dizzy:

That will probably help someone growers and breeders when they would like to make some crosses :pray:

9 Likes

I have a Thai Strain that refuses to Hermie also my Red GSC. I believe this takes Numerous generations with no Fems in the line. But I’m just a Hobby Breeder and not an authority. I acquired these two strains with this extreme sexual stability. But I stress test my strains to grade them before breeding and this stressing has taught me a world of stuff. And most the gene pool is all jacked up with hermies. I’m collecting great strains and cleaning them up as time goes along. My goal is to have about 10 sexually stable unique strains for crossing and sharing with worthy people as long as I can do it without losing money for postage and handling. Breeding from hermies will come to light very soon and the polluted gene pools will rot in seed banks around the world. Fems are OK to breed but they need to come from sexually stable parents or you will blaming everything for your hermies.

12 Likes

I totaly agree with you :smiley: it all depends how traits was breed out. Those days its hard to get good genetics that are stable. But as you mentioned its best to have your own genetics that you can count on :seedling: My goal is the same as yours to have some stable strains that are good for breeding and that you can count on :pray:

6 Likes

Hmmm! I would love to share Genetics with someone that can grade the sexual stability of their strains. Are you in Canada?

4 Likes

A good clue that you are working with sexually stable genetics is they are slow to show pre sex. But if I like a strain and want to include it in my breeding program, I clone and stress it. I want to be able to put a grade on it, my own grades. You have to start somewhere. Ways I regularly use to stress include Reveg, in and out of 12/12 a couple times, heat and Colloidal Silver. The spray is really good and my two stable lines resisted the effects of the spay. I’m not sure if you can use STS the same way.

8 Likes

Whenever I come across a strain that has herm tendencies in it, and shows it. It gets the chop. Then I discontinue popping those seeds, and they are destroyed. I have enough beans, it’s not a bother. Herms on the other hand really are, I don’t get many but every once in a while one will pop up, last run I had two autos throw nanners in the last ten days… still though I’ve heard of plants trying to self preserve if pushed far. No herms have a place in my rooms.

7 Likes

I know that people use STS for fem seeds but its a good point that you can test plant for stabilit that way :+1: thanks for that info.

1 Like

Yeah me to :upside_down_face: if plants show sex instability they are out.

2 Likes

This is something I’ve thought about too, using silver solution as a kind of diagnostic.

There is a female I’ve had for about 3 years that has been stressed to the brink of its demise more than once and she just doesn’t show any intersex at all. I’ve tried to reverse her a few times and only once got a little pollen that didn’t take.

If this is some indication of where plants are on the spectrum, it’s a really useful tool for breeders.

7 Likes

I had that happen with testers (freebies) direct from Mephisto, which was kind of unexpected.

3 Likes

I do this too but I just call it “growing.” :joy:

22 Likes

There’s differences between true hermaphrodite and the plants seeking to preserve themselves, though, no?

Week 2-4 if they show traits it’s a true hermaphrodite, and if it’s in last days of flower, it’s just the plants survival technique, is what I have always understood

5 Likes

That also could be the case if you put them trought some stress :+1:

1 Like

I’ve noticed a lot of the newer strains are very herm prone, finally said fuck it and bought some optic foliar switch and hope to god that helps.

6 Likes

I don’t count late flower nanners as a herm per-se. most are sterile or its so late it wouldn’t matter, unless you’re in a perpetual type setup. It’s the showing male parts in the first ~25 days that I toss regardless.

16 Likes

Well Tampa Crippy falls into this category. Both regular and selfed, however my observation is these nanners protrude and don’t open to actually pollinate. Eventually it shrivels up. If it was invasive I’d have to reconsider its use. I do have one true female that’s the majority of my current offspring TC x Xmas grow. So I’m with you all that have concerns about hermaphroditism, but I also think it depends on the invasive behavior of the stamens. If they sit undisturbed, even w high air circulation I don’t think cross contamination is a concern. They have to be pulled to be dislodged in this case, this why I’m not throwing the baby out w the bath water.

9 Likes

I have 2 strains like that. And when I tried to breed Fem seeds they would not turn and time expired on the female so I aborted the breeding mission. I’m not a pollen collector and use a little breeding cell instead. With filtered air in and out. So I put the plant treated with spray in 12/12 5 days earlier than the seed mama. So I’m guessing I gave up after 25 days of spray with no hermie! I figure if I want to do it next time I will have to try STS or add hormones or something.

3 Likes

strains I have had issues with.
GG4 = not the cut so much as some of the S1’s.
GSC= Yeah
weapon x + tried it indoors against advice so my bad
thai= it has a rep for a reason
Wedding cake and crosses especially seed junky pack

4 Likes

The most famous strains herm lol. People say f cookies for herms but the beloved chem d and 91 also herm lol. We say breed for no herms but people still use the strains above in breeding lol. Some people. I say fire is fire.

3 Likes

Hello SativaKid, I’ve edited you post. Please keep in mind that we would like to keep the community inclusive in nature where some terminology will work against that. Thanks.

Cleaned up this discourse.

6 Likes