Strains that are prone to Hermis

I chopped my Crème de la Chem today because it kept throwing nanners.
Late in flower and after severe light intensity stress, though.

2 Likes

I’ve had better success with STS because my CS setup doesn’t produce a high enough concentration. It’s also a little simpler in that you’re spraying once every 3-5 days for a couple weeks instead of every day.

Speaking of diagnostic strategies, in addition to assessing the gender stability of a plant, it’s also my understanding (according to Chimera, I believe it was) that S1’s are a useful way of testing whether a cut is likely to breed true (that is, whether it’s dominant traits result from heterozygous or homozygous pairings). I get over my head pretty quickly with technicalities of genetics and such, and most of us don’t have the means for genetic testing, but this is another useful tool for observational breeding.

2 Likes

Interesting so you think that S1 will express true genetics :seedling: and from that cut you will see if that good breeding partner?

1 Like

I’m not an expert, and am more or less repeating what I’ve heard from a generally respected breeder whose understanding appears grounded in good research and understanding. With observational breeding (which is pretty much all breeding), you’re always just making the best guess you can based on what you can see/smell/taste/feel etc.

It’s well established that making S1’s of a plant is not a reliable way of replicating the “mom” unless she happens to be homozygous dominant for the desirable traits. If S1’s do consistently produce plants resembling the mom within some acceptable range it is seen as a possible indication that she will carry these traits into an outcross. On the other hand, if S1’s are all over the place phenotypically and qualitatively then you can probably assume she’s not a great breeder, even if she qualifies as a legitimate “elite” cut.

And that pretty much exhausts my insight - lots of knowledgeable folks here could add to it (or correct me for that matter), and hopefully some will chime in. Otherwise, there is a PotCast interview with Chimera that would be worth listening to. Hope this helps!

6 Likes

Yeah i understand that. Even thought i am more for Regular stuff will wrote that down becouse it make sense thanks.

1 Like

What happens if you let a herm plant grow alone? Are the seeds it would produce low quality?

The seeds it would produce would be fems, and likely produce plants that herm just the same.

4 Likes

They would end up in a $30 pack of seeds :laughing:

3 Likes

GSC and Thai are my extremely stable strains.

2 Likes

I have been having mutable problems. Ghost lights a few cooler nights. Maybe light leaks. I really can’t blame the seed.

I like some GSC

agree to disagree or we had different cuts. both are possible. Just my 2 cents about hermes ymmv

3 Likes

4 Likes

good information !

1 Like

Can monoecious hemp cross pollinate with dioecious marijuana and if so what does it do to the dioecious stability of the marijuana. I am asking if this might have anything to do with certain types of marijuana being more hermaphroditic?

Yes can definitely cross pollinate the two, and then you get all 3 in the offspring. Dio/herm/mono tendencies.

Most elites came from herms. Girl scout cookies and thai are well-known herm producing lines. You can find stability anywhere though.

4 Likes

Yeah i know that you can find stable GSC or Thai thats for sure :upside_down_face: i am just asking what are the strains that would likely hermed

Most any modern strain you see hyped up anywhere has the potential to herm. Runtz, cookies, skittlez, cakes, og’s, chems, gg4… can likely keep going…

7 Likes

Or a $500 pack from Seed Junky…

4 Likes

Would you say those strains are less likely not to herm? Just asking. Not trying to put you on the spot. I think some of mine are things I do wrong. I do see some the like to banana at the end. The ones that go longer the 9 weeks flowering.

2 Likes