Strains we miss

@CopaGenetics had some ancient og f2 they did some breeding with and also had f3s up at @Great_lakes_Genetics website at one point, hopefully someone can chime in and further guide @JustSumTomatoes as to if they are still available and where

3 Likes

My friend had a cut only purple sour diesel during the good medical days. I got a lb off him way back when and holy hell was it some awesome purple d. O man this cut was amazing. Well, the lb ended up being fully seeded and he had thought he played a trick on me. Well I ground the full lb and got a bazillion seeds. I grew it for 15 years. They ended up being fem seeds and were a basic copy of the clone only. I have none left. And wasn’t keen on thinking of mothering it. This strain has been lost to the past I think. I think this because he held it and wouldn’t let it go. The plant no longer exists.

6 Likes

Has to be Skunker for me🦨! White Widow circa 96’ as well…, But definitely “Not” missing brick weed!

2 Likes

A good friend of mine Andy did a lot of breeding here in AK with the 95 WW…still holding a ton of those hybrids that he made.

If you’d like some let a brother know. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You wont find That caliber of weed in any of the newer stuff ,Never will.Simons White Russian set aside from his just as awesome AK-47 from that time period early 2000 2003 was some one Toke shit where is there even any one toke shit anymore?Anyone else notice that?That White Russian was some heavy heavy shit.First time i ever completely whited out on weed im talking White out tv set with radio static in the background like riding on a Cloud when you come to its All a fog and the only thing you remember was having a blast.There is no one toke shit like that anymore i just commented the other day whens the last time you even seen or rolled a Pinner?All of the newer weed is all IG supermodel bag appeal They are but an empty vessel made to Chief on and smoke and smoke and smoke on but hit the ceiling so fast its over in an hour But boy dont they taste good huh ?lol I miss it when we didn’t concentrate on Baked desserts so much as what the effect was.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure this strain is Granddaddy purple… or you could give Grandma purple a try for that same grape flavor!

1 Like

I think generally tolerance was lower, including strain tolerance.

Now everyone can smoke everything, and it’s all pretty palletable. People don’t want that supernova white out weed, but I assure you it’s out there. For every one AKBB there are 20 people like him who just kept cuts and bred their own fire without releasing it to the world.

1 Like

Im getting pretty close to it now The weed ive been chucking over the last 5 years keeps getting stronger to the point if i smoke with people now They either pass on it and go no way not like last time dude that shit cripppled me or the ones that do smoke like 3 hits off a joint and they dip out for awhile and if i light up another one they pass on it for a couple hours.I noticed even with my tolerance i get batches now that just floor my ass not the white out weed but enough to the point i have to cut myself off or Im a space cadet in lala land.Now i vape my weed in my lobo i stopped lighting my weed in fire with bic lighters the high is different now and i get way more fucked up off of a tiny metal canister portion like a tenth of what i used to smoke and the high lasts for hours

8 Likes

I specifically go for the headiest stuff I can. I have some stuff that’ll send Gelato smokers to the Psych ward and I know both of you do too.

The problem for us is multi faceted, you’ve got people under the age of 40 that never got imported sativas and only know weak hybrids or Afghanis. They didn’t grow up with those bright, happy, giggles and trippy heads, they only know Afghani hybrids with dull effects. So they focus on terpenes and colors, “flavors”. If I want flavor I’ll eat a life saver, I smoke to get high. You’ve also got people thinking 8-10 weeks is how long cannabis “should” flower for just because prohibition needed the fastest turnaround possible, not because it’s true or the best herb. Combine that with the consumer custy culture of artificially created demand for bottlenecked bagseed and we’re all in a bad spot. Tastes have changed, I’ve had multiple reports of people growing my Super Flo and their friends telling them “It’s too strong”. Do I think they’re missing out? For sure. Could we just be old dudes yelling at clouds? For sure. But that’s why we’ve got our seed collections and each other :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thier going for 30 % thc GMO weed as well and not some of the lower stuff thats in the 15 and 17 % That had novel cannibinoids in them that paired with the lower THC that had drastic effects i think a lot of the minor stuff is being bred out in search of higher thc I dont mind high thc at all but i also noticed the duration of the high is much shorter and more intense in the head.I had Mexican brick that would get you high for 3 hours minimum i still have tons of the seeds i kept and i still grow them out from time to time.That high never changed still the dame

8 Likes

Exactly. The ignorant narrative of THC + “Terps” has wrecked havoc on the widely available genetics. Telling people it’s as simple as alcohol helps move mylar, but doesn’t come close to the truth, so people are buying and selling the lie and telling themselves terpenes are the only thing that makes genetics different. It’s a dark road we’ve gone down and it’s going to be a long walk back. At least in NYC they’re getting privy to Piff, so that’s a start and hopefully there comes a tipping point where the masses are finally bored with Gelato bagseeds being chucked to other Gelato bagseeds.

5 Likes

Every time I see someone come in asking about what strain has a specific terpene or they’re lookin for a strain high in a specific terpene i just

4 Likes

I saw some article about some scientist in Italy finding an minor cannabinoid that was 5 times stronger then THC, I don’t remember what it was called but I’m not surprised and I think that the commercial space will move away from thc if they find more Cannabinoids like this that they can breed for. :grin: Then all the people will be like, “Oh I remember when we all smoked THC! It was the days!”

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

There are over 130 phytocannabinoids discovered so far, with potentially hundreds more we haven’t. Of those 130+ how many can you name? I can’t name more than 10 off the top of my head, so it’s insanely ignorant to think THC and terpenes comes close to being the bottom line. Also read about how cannabinoids develop in the plant and it’s super fascinating. Go figure that in 11+ week plants, the THC degrades and other more novel cannabinoids are created, which you don’t find in shorter flowering strains. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface and you’re right, hopefully there will come a day when we look back and shake our heads

3 Likes

The black market led to loss of scent, shorter flowering time, and a focus on aesthetic. Now that it’s “legal”, and we can actually explore the true possibilities of genetic expression, the bulk of people choose to grow easy hype weed. People (myself included at times) still buy their weed and seed based on pictures.

Of all my friends who l grow, I’m the only one who participates on forums. Everyone I know is growing GSC adjacent weed, or white label Grand daddy purps type weed. I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut and just grow fire. The weed speaks for itself. Modern weed is fine, and there’s alot to love, but to treat it like the end all be all, or to grow an F1 of some unworked hype strain and act like it’s pure gas drives me fucking nuts.

6 Likes

Niiiice!

I grew out a Jordan of the Islands Northern BC Skunk back in 2019 and the thing put out a lot of very heavy afghani stone buds. Real dark green fan leaves with a lime juice / skunky smell.
Another one that could be tried is “Donkey Dick” (lmao) by Mighty Mite Seed Company, which is an old Vancouver Island skunk that looks to grow in a vertical green tower.

Currently trying to track that one down, but it is difficult. :sweat_smile:

https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Donkey_Dick/Mighty_Mite_Seed_Company/

Pretty soon they wont even need the plant.Korea has been Synthesizing Cannibinoids in Yeast vats.They got caught when thier Numbers were too pure for thier CBD to have been created by a natural plant.I think if the big boys want to corner the commercial market this is one route they will go.All they have to do is get the numbers down on the Ingredients and the ratio for effect.What happens afterwards is what worries me they wont want people growing thier own.Probaby will try and make it like alcohol and have someone pay a ridiculous Bond they will never get back to process thier own like making liquor.In the states to make liquor you pay a 75,000$ Bond you never see that money again.They dont care about medical most of the states steamrolled all thier medical programs and just went straight recreational for the Tax money they wanted a piece of .In the end it all comes down to greed

3 Likes

I don’t think they care that much. They want the quick money, and that only exists due to prohibition. Once prohibition ends, the market will fall and stabilize.

Most people who smoke have zero interest in growing. They want a vape pen that won’t get them too high. It took a long time for people to be allowed to brew their own beer, and I suspect it will take a while for the feds to come around on home growing, but its more likely than not. Even if they find a way to push triploid fem autos, decades of prohibition and the internet has caused a proliferation of genetics that can’t be stopped.

4 Likes

Ive been stockpiling genetics and making preservations of all of them and sending them far and wide and trading for others and putting portions up in Deepfreeze and well as refrigerator storage one bean at a time if not hundreds at a time .Im prepared if it goes back to the old days and i will just go back underground if i need be and be a ghost like last time.I dont mind doing Guerilla grows kind of miss the excitement and i know what im doing now.

5 Likes

dougdawson did a grow with it recently. had some pics of plants and resulting buds.
really has the bag appeal.

i have some PPP seeds also. very eager to get them started after seeing what doug turned out.

2 Likes