Strawberry Hill Seed Co

Thanks. I gotta check my stash. I’d like to run a good repro of it and maybe dust a few buds for seeds, with the pollen @SHSC-1 sent.

4 Likes

The seeds bare used came direct from Vancouver in the early 80’s if I remember correct . Believe from spice of life I’d have to confirm with my brother as it was him that bought them .

4 Likes

Oh wow, I hope I have those. I wasn’t sure of any info on the ones from Sebring. Thanks!

2 Likes

Shishkaberry debuted in 1998 at Marc Emery’s Vancouver shop.
Breeder Steve was also repping DJ Shorts releases at the time.
It has been a long time so memories are what they are but they way it went down was like this… I had been growing for 9 years and I was renting a house with a buddy that moved out of province. So I took in a roommate who was someone I knew for a few years and he was also a guy that was eager to learn to grow. He was into all the cannabis publications/magazines and was a really smart guy and just wanted to try everything LOL
This guy was growing micro in fridges before it was cool hehehe . Anyways, Randy was in Van one day and he came home telling me all about Marc Emery’s shop and he met this cool guy that was selling blueberry seeds. I was a skeptic , only trusting my own near decade old connections for genetics at the time. I decided what the hell let’s go check this out… reluctantly LOL
That is how I met breeder steve and was when we aquired the first release of Shishkaberry , Flo, Sweet Tooth, Blueberry… and there’s another one I am forgetting. We ended up going back and buying more shishkaberry several weeks later.
So I’m thinking any early aquistitions of the line would have been either direct from breeder steve (dave) or they came from that 1998 release.

21 Likes

The plants I just finished doing the seed increase on are not the original 1998 Shishkaberry. These were made by a breeder out of southern ontario called Ustad Seeds and they were Shishkaberry 3 F2. Breeder Steve used different parental match ups and a different blueberry than the first release. It is a variation on a theme though as the base smells and stong branching traits are the same although I find the Shishkaberry 3 in general to be more bushy than the orginal 98 release line. Those where thick stemmed, strong upward swept short branches and the plants shaped out like perfect christmas tree with a real nice center cola and large branch tops. The leaves are a bit different on the Shishkaberry 3 as well although all the raw afghani type traits of the Shishkeberry red/yellow are cleary there. The bushy-ness is what throws me off but there are so many little clues that if I was blindfolded and one of the plants was put in front of me… I woud know it immediately by that distinct shishka smell.

Now on the subject of seeds. The seeds from this seed increase will never be sold by me. They will be distributed to the community in some manner, just haven’t decided how that’s going to go down yet. Best to familiarize yourself with the Free Seeds and clones thread as a lot of giveaways happen there in the wiki format.
So not to be a dick… I’m not trying to be , but I am getting a lot of very new members approaching me for beans and I won’t be handing them out that way. There will be details at some point in this thread here —> SHSC-1 Grows Shiskaberry 3f2 and set your preferences for the thread and you won’t miss the sign ups when the seeds are ready and a plan to distribute is in place.

cheers!!

26 Likes

So I suppose I should update on what is going to go down in the Strawberry Patch this summer if all goes well.
We are having an incredible spring and I’m ithchiin to get my plants out in the greenhouse.
Some bigger plants are spending time outside as temps have been in the mid to high 20C’s for the last couple weeks now and getting those plants acclimated to the sun early has been awesome for overall plant health.
My veg room is packed wall to wal and I have plants in various stages from seedling to mature plants. My main grow thread can be found here ----> Adventures in seed poppin and pollen tossin with a full rundown on the strains I am running and pheno hunting.
I will be endeavoring to make larger seed lots of crosses I have already made that were raved about by testers but I didn’t make enough seeds for any drops. I’ll be working with Biker kush V1F3 , OGKB2.0, Fire OGKB F2, Long Valley Royal Kush 30 seed pheno hunt, 2017 Shishkaberry (98 shishka x 2015 ustad shishka 3f2) , Slurricane, Oreoz, BC Pink Kush (i’m so excited about this clone only), GSC, hmmmmmm what else…Pre 98 Bubba Kush, Grape Pie … G13(reeferman G13 x (g13 x santa marta columbian gold)… 2009 LUI x G13 and 90’s blues.
I think that is it for the plants in the breeding program.
I’ll be making regs and fems of some interesting stuff…keeping with my tradition of All Killer, No Filler :sunglasses:
I’ll drop pics of some of my selections starting in June when I move all my plants to the greenhouse but most of my grow diary will be in the thread linked above.

23 Likes

Seems to me people started liking useless floppy spaghetti branched plants about 20 years ago , I don’t get it , toss structure and call it OG :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

7 Likes

Free or handouts was never my intention. I was only directed in your direction as someone working with kish but no worries i will continue my hunt. Thanks for your time

3 Likes

Ouch , I bet you’re going to have a great long weekend anyway bro , catch a big one for me :whale:

1 Like

Dumb question but is that Reeferman’s G13 basically G13 (Airborne Cut?) x Love Potion No. 1?

ETA: @SHSC-1

3 Likes

The only part of that that’s dumb is you should tag @SHSC-1 and not me! :wink:

3 Likes

Lol, whoops

2 Likes

Lol…no worries, I did. Just messin’ with ya!

3 Likes

@Fraservalleybeans , the Shishkaberry 3f2 seeds I have grown out and done a seed increase on were given to me by another member here. They aren’t mine to just hand out to folks who PM me. That said, these seeds “will” be given out to the community for FREE … yoou just need to be part of that thread and hang out a while. I see you are new here and all you need to do is take part in the forum and the discussions and follow that thread for when the sign up lists will be availlable.

Now Kish… that’s not Shishkaberry. Kish was from seeds that were intended for marc emery’s store but an employee stole… I think that is the story. Those seeds ended up in the hands of a guy who labelled himself Cash Crop Ken who used breeder steve’s uncut genetics to win a cup and no credit to steve was given.
From a breedinng standpoint, I won’t work with anything not traced directly back to authentic Spice of Life genetics. If you listen to the various podcasts with breeder steve, he explicitly mentions Kish and that whole fiasco.
These are the reasons breeder steve left the cannabis seed game , the cash crop kens and the barney’s farms guys ripping on spice of life genetics reputation and using it to sell seeds

anyhow… hang out a while, take part in the threads I have going and you will get your chance at these free seeds just like everyone else here on the forum.
Not trying to be a dick, just trying to explain how things work here.

12 Likes

There are No dumb questions !!! I learnt this in trade school hehehe.
I am unfamiliar with reeferman’s older worlk. I know he was prarie fire beffore he became reeferman and not sure what all genetics he was using in his early days as reeferman.
What I have gathered on Reef’s G13 is this… Airborne G13 x (airborne g13 x Santa Marta Columbian Gold)
I am unfamiliar with the Love Potion but it hasn’t come up in my research on reef’s g13.
I have asked the guy several times but I get no answers. I also want to know who he got his BC kimo from in 1991 because it was my mentor , Sandy Richards (rip) that ws the original grower to receive the Chemo when it left the UBC research center. Sandy wrote it down as Kimo so anyone who got the orignals might have received them labelled as such.
Charles doesn’t seem to want to discuss the origins of things so I gave up a few years ago trying to get answers on his older stuff.

6 Likes

I didn’t know that I’d had some trades with that nick way back. Cool

2 Likes

I used to spend waaaay too much time hanging out on the Reeferman forum, 2004-2006. I think he didn’t start offering his “Reeferman’s G13” (if that’s what it is you’re growing) until the very tail end when I wasn’t paying quite so much attention.

Love Potion 1 was supposed to be the Airborne cut x SMCG (although there were always people popping up and claiming it was something else… uh… oh man… Lemon Thai I think was what they said). Er, come to think of it I think it was supposed to involve a backcross, but I’m thinking back almost 20 years and can’t quite remember.

Charles (that’s what he was calling himself at the time) was often around in the site chat before he left Canada, and then some when he was in Holland. Sometimes talkative. I don’t mean this as an insult, but I read something once that reminded me of him, about US Southern story tellers… “If you can’t improve on a good story you have no business telling it” so… grain of salt.

There were certainly a fair number of people mad at him about using other people’s work and claiming it as his own, at least by not correcting people. That didn’t seem to change.

3 Likes

Get ahold of him on fb Dave Scott , easy enough to find

3 Likes

dude… I don’t do facebook hehehe
I’ve had convo’s with him online and even via text when he was in the lowermainland a few years ago. Was trying to meet up with him to snag some seeds but it never came together.

@yardgrazer I wasn’t really online until around 2004/05 but I didn’t pay any attention to the online cannabis scene. In 05 I shut down and didn’t grow again until 2015. Started my first seeds in 10 years on boxing day 2015 :smiley: after joining icmag a couple months before that looking for anything i could find on spice of life. It is then that my learning curve into all that I had missed in the 10 years i paid the cannabis scene no attention. I smoked copious amounts of weed all those years… just grown by friends.

The G13 I have is from the freezer vault of the late Classic Seeds (rip) and were gifted to me to grow and increase. The baggie was simply labelled Reeferman G13. The other baggie that came with it was labelled 2009 LUI x G13. No idea if that is reeferman’s cross or something Classic did. It seems that Classic networked with several differnet growers including Canadian ones we are familiar with from the 2000’s.
There are more seeds on the way from Classics vault , what they are will be a surprise for now because I’m not entirely sure myself and they have a long way to travel.

10 Likes