Strain Recommendations for Migraines

I get terrible migraines/tension headache caused from a surgery I had to remove a cancerous tumor from my neck. If I sleep the wrong way on my neck I tense up and get a terrible migraine that lasts almost a full day and am completely disabled until it starts to fade.

Would something high in cbd help? Are there any particular strains that anyone here has found to help for something like this?

7 Likes

need to watch this my wife dies with them :frowning:

takes a pill that makes her sick as a dog but helps

be safe and be well

Dequilo

7 Likes

Same boat - I’ve suffered from migraines since age 15.

Best I’ve come up with- high dose edibles, pass tf out.

Smoking can help dull the pain, but if the migraine is in full swing, sleep is about all that helps me.

I’ve had migraines last months at a time. No joke, for real.

Od on weed and sleep. Sad, but effective.

7 Likes

I’ve wondered this and plan to try a high cbd strain for this very reason.

My sister suffers from lupus (auto immune) and takes cbd gummies. They help her a bit, but nothing is ever 100%

What’s that saying, if it weren’t for pain I would y know if I was alive? Lol. Fml.

Best of luck to you, migraines f’ing suck ass.

4 Likes

i was able to help a co-worker suffering from migraines. I made some cannabis oil using 0.5g of dried material (strain: critical) per ml of mct oil.

she is very happy and migraine free after several years. she told me that it doesn’t help much when the migraines hit her but when she feels that a migraine is about to come up she uses some drops (usually just two) and no headache appears. it’s also a good sleep aid.

in your case I’d suggest additionally a topical high in cbd and with dmso, maybe mix in some arnica and johanneskraut (don’t know the English name)

7 Likes

I know migraines are different than headaches, but a lot of it can be traced back to neck or upper shoulder/back strain or over-extension. Some comfort cream or similar on those area’s should help with that.

I haven’t found a strain that helps specifically with that, but a few that help with muscle and/or joint pain, like MAC.

2 Likes

I would like to help but when I get a migraine I just want to hide under a pillow for 12 hours

3 Likes

ive read that durban poison is effective against migraines
ill find out for sure soon, im running some right now for this very purpose

2 Likes

According to my Log Book, the following strains have proven effective for mitigating migraines: (NO PARTICULAR ORDER) - Blue Dream, Purple Haze, Green Crack, Purple Urkle (I would think GDP also), Lemon Kush, Tangerine Dream, Critical Mass, White Widow, OG Kush, ACDC, Harlequin, Purple Kush, Remedy, Pineapple Express, Northern Lights and, Canna-Tsu. Hope this helps. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: BTW, leave your consultation donation with the receptionist…lol!! I dabble in the Essential Oils. I’ll check out my Book of Blends and submit a couple of recommendations.

8 Likes

For mine - it’s sublingual (alcohol based) or vaped that seems to work best. I still decarb a bit and make an everclear extract so I can double up if the chinooks get bad.

Blue dream didn’t work for me, the edison extracts were awful and inconsistent (thus my return to growing). Strain to strain I’m not noticing much difference, I notice getting it harvested sooner - rather than later, does seem to have an improvement on effect. My hibernate I ran until she was 50% amber is less effective (but smoke it and it knocks me outcold on my ass as intended)

neurologist qualifies mine as cluster headaches - not sure how that affects strain selection etc.

Got a freebie seed of g13’s strawberry eclaire. Then lost my clone. Woman and I swear by it for Our migraines. I keep looking for a pack for a seedrun.

4 Likes

Yup. I get them from time to time and its so intense :tired_face: showers make is soooo much more worse. Climbing into bed, in the dark, no sounds and pillow blocking out all light and passing out after a taking Advil & Tylenol…

3 Likes

who was the breeder?

G13 Labs. – https://www.g13labs.com/feminized/g13-labs-seeds-strawberry-clair

1 Like

Sweet, thank you! I’ll have to bookmark it

Smoking anything restricts your capillaries. I don’t recommend smoking with migraines

5 Likes

Yep, I learned this the hard way. pounding headache, smoking = sudden death at a hockey match.

1 Like

@nefrella I’m in a similar situation as you. But I probably only get 3-4 per year. As soon as I can tell its coming, and if I’m in a position to do so- meaning I’m at home, I dose up heavily with edibles, and smoke 2-3x more than I normally would. Pop a few ibuprofens and go try and sleep. I usually wake up high but pain free.

And for lupus- my wife has it but minor symptoms, but any form of THC generally helps her, a lot.

1 Like

Yes, my sister finds it helpful too. The only bummer for her is she works for the local PD as dispatch, so she can’t dose as much as would be beneficial for her. Which, blows.

1 Like

I too suffer with migraines and they started after brain surgery, they get very bad, everyone says sleep, there is no way i can sleep with this, think its part of the insomnia , have found strains that help like northern lights but for me

If i already have the headache, it usually gets worse if i smoke, so i usually wake and bake micro dosing, then hit it again before coming down rinse and repeat. My doctor prescribed vicodin big ones they sometimes help

1 Like