Stuck in TRIM PRISON? Show Us Your Tools for Combat

I’m forever evolving man… I started with surgical scissors way back when lol… the last 10 years though, damn so many new toys!!

1 Like

The moisture, or THC, doesn’t run anywhere really. The buds will continue to draw moisture out of the stems regardless of orientation in the usual way like it does as it’s growing. I’m just thinking that the buds would trim better in the trimmer if standing out from the buds rather than folded around them. I’m not concerned about bag appeal or how many trichs get knocked off as the vast majority of everything I produce gets made into meds and what gets knocked off makes it easier to process into said meds.

I was reading an article some time ago about chopping the whole plant and standing it in pure water like a Xmas tree exposed to the grow light. The plants are supposed to keep trying to grow so steal all the mobile nutes from the leaves and use it up to reduce any excess nutes and make for a cleaner bud. No idea if it’s true or not and wish I’d kept a bookmark but it kind of sounds logical.

I’ve been growing long enough to have the blush come off the rose so to speak so trying new experiments to keep it interesting keeps me in the game. For me life is an ongoing quest for knowledge and not just in cannabis horticulture. Helps keep the oldtimerz disease at bay.

Was up until 6:30 this morning putting my plumbing skills to the test replacing a blown out pressure tank for our house water from the dugout. Happy to say they were up to the task with no plug and play involved and didn’t cost me a cent using a tank I’d scrounged at the dump a few years ago. :slight_smile:

:peace:

3 Likes

When you order from Amazon you can check a box to have it put in one that just says Amazon for a couple bucks. They don’t repackage the good just put that box in one of theirs.

I have to get my Amazon stuff at the post office in the small town 10 miles away and it it came like yours the whole town would know about it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most larger box grow stuff I’ve gotten (tents / lights) the boxes are pretty plain. Just today I got a vivosun fan / carbon filter, box is plain as plain gets. In comparison this was the bud trimmer box. no rhyme or reason other than retail display? Same company even!

Oh, last night I ordered two small items for the house on amazon. Both would arrive about 3 days apart, OR I could “receive them on amazon day in fewer boxes and less trips to your house”, and STILL their estimated were 3 days apart, A WEEK LATER than the first option. (amazon day is evidently monday and friday here) I fail to see how thats fewer boxes OR fewer trips… smh Artificial Intelligence isn’t quite there yet…

2 Likes

I also got a Vivosun fan last year that came in a plain brown box and feel for you getting that trimmer box screaming Grower! from your front porch.

I use Amazon dot CA and I’ve seen a notice with a checkbox that what I’m ordering shows the contents and can be re-boxed to be anonymous but haven’t needed to use that option. Last order I picked up a week ago was for a 20 pack of syringe filters and a nice little milligram scale. Came separately in bubble wrap envelopes but still free shipping. I made some CBD topical meds with DMSO I put in a roll-on applicator. That’s what the filters were for. Shit is the bomb for killing pain in certain hand joints and should be a boon come trimming time which could start tonight.

Amazon is not what you’d call a sustainable service and you can lump global shipping in there too. Thousands of freighters burning high sulphur fuels like bunker crude cause huge amounts of pollution then all the delivery vehicles on top of that. shudder

1 Like

Send it to me buddy and I’ll make good use of it! Hands-on lab work was what got me thru school in my 30s when I went back for a diploma in chem. Loved organic chem but the tests were brutal and not high scoring for me. Labs were always 90% or better and made up 40% of my total marks so got me over the finish line.

Rotary evap is actually overkill for reclaiming solvents but sure look cool working away on the bench.

I finally got around to using my countertop distiller with a QWISO batch last week and got 75% of my iso back so good enough for me. The gasket on it won’t work with naphtha tho so I’ll have to do that stuff in my DIY still.

1 Like

I agree, and shop local for most everything. Sadly its all AG stores near me, not a grow store within 50 miles, so some things gotta be ordered. Amazon isn’t always the cheapest or best either, I’ve found oscillating fans half the price at walmart (same model), and my sprayer came from the local hardware store at half the price amazon wanted for the same model. Was really surprised to see it there (was picking up something else) so I tossed it on the counter as well…

Works like a dam when you got 45 gal drums to run . Lol

1 Like

Nothing like a constant feed for batch processing for sure. All I have for my lab distillation unit is a 1L ball since my mutt broke the 2L. Looking at getting a 2L with a double neck so I can keep feeding more in without stopping to reload so much. I don’t really need lots of capacity for my modest efforts so something like a rotovap will have to wait for a lotto win. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Closest small city is almost an hour drive and no hydro store there so a 2 hour drive to one. I get to make my own contribution to pollution so wait until there is more reason to go before shopping for that stuff. Can never find all sorts of things I’d buy here if available even if more expensive.

Great local unpasteurized honey tho. $50 for a 7kg pail and lasts for a couple years.

1 Like

I use:

-The boxes from mason jar cases (one to trim over, one for buds to be trimmed). Mason jar boxes are flat bottom no flaps no and easier to shake off trim/kief.

-mason jars to toss buds in

-fiskars scissors (the fabric/sewing ones are even better, super fine point tip but they don’t carry them at
the grow store)

-lighter/torch and rag (it is far more effective to just heat the scissors with fire til the hash bubbles and
wipe it off with the rag than to use alcohol or scrape with razor)

-nitrile gloves (xxl, hard to find, often expensive, otherwise just degrease fingers with crisco)

3 Likes

Local honey is AWESOME for allergies. So many people don’t realize that. Local honey, made from local flowers, which would otherwise cause allergies…

There’s a few orchards near here, and one has local honey from the hives they keep for the orchard. Hands down its the only honey I buy here… Absolutely the best allergy preventative in my book!

2 Likes

LOL nice meme ugly af dog … hahahah omg i cant stop laughing

He passed away my sister
Not taking it well at
The minute

2 Likes

what kinda counter top distiller are you using! i would love to be able to reclaim my iso when i start making rso and cbd oils

1 Like

sorry to hear man. hope i didnt offend

1 Like

It’s fine he was like sisters kid lol I think he was 11 years old pretty good going for a pug…

3 Likes

One of those 4L ones and it handled the 750ml batch I just did really good. Mine has a temp control on it and I set it at 80C and have some tubing stuck on the tube that comes from the condensor so it doesn’t pool in the nose on those things where you could put a packet of activated carbon which would be nice if you were cooking down some home brew but who cares if the iso tastes a a little funny as you’re not going to drink it anyhow. If you were just reclaiming ethanol or making your own everclear for extractions taste wouldn’t really matter either.

I just used an empty 500ml iso bottle and knowing I’d used 750ml could gauge how much was left in the still with the oil minus what was left in the pot and it worked out pretty good once it was full. It actually stopped producing at about 3/4 full so I bumped the temp up 2 degrees to 82C and it started up again in 30 sec. Temp control seemed to work pretty good. Cost about $200 from amazon . ca.

I’m going to be turning all the pot laying around here into RSO for family and friends so will be putting gallons thru it pretty soon. I have 12L sitting here and should get at least 9 back. I’m going to try putting all the wet pot in there and see how much I can get out of it or if that’s possible with a unit like this. Works better with proper boiling chips, (Hengar Boiling Granules, to keep an even boil especially in glassware that may not allow a liquid to boil until it overheats and all boils at once making a mess if your lucky or causing a fire if not.

2 Likes

oh wow thats a cool little unit thank you. and yes i am trying to make rso for family and a friend going through colon cancer. looking for some higher cbd/cbg strains for those oils but in the meantime i have some nice stuff for a batch

2 Likes

Not an allergy sufferer myself except maybe to hard work. :wink:

Honey should be going way up in price and already has some thanks to bee killing pesticides farmers won’t stop using until legislated. Bees are big money around here tho.

1 Like