Subcool Seed Run Ethics

I have mixed feelings but it depends on the situation, breeding them for preservation i see no issue with but only if used as such as has been stated by many before me. When it comes to strains I feel if I bought the seeds, took the risk of getting and growing them then yes its my choice if I want to make more, same with clones but if like in the case of my buddy who’s given me clones and plants in past, I’ve given other friends cuttings and whatnot but I won’t charge for it (maybe some strain trading but not actual monetary) as it wasnt my work originally. If that makes sense, that said im down for preservation and shit. Don’t have seeds to put in but would be down to help by throwing in a few bucks if someone finds packs to do so with. Damn I’m rambling sorry if I make no sense today .

7 Likes

I agree that strain preservation is important.
(If I were a breeder, I’d definitely want my strains to live on after me).
I think that seeds are pretty much fair game for cloning and breeding. UNLESS it was a popular strain still in production, OR of the proceeds were going to the breeders kids. Otherwise- Grow on!

Does anyone know if DJ Short ever gave his opinion on this subject?

5 Likes

considering the fact that his son is a breeder also, I would assume that any mothers of cultivars or genetics that are stashed would stay within the family, though he lost a lot of his best genetics long ago

5 Likes

Desire to know more intensifies…

Can you expand on that a little bit? I’d love to learn more about the history and where it’s ended up in current times.

3 Likes

Can that be in a new thread(e.g. DJ/JD/OldWorld… ?) :v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Even when you grow from seed your never going to get exactly the mother or father plant that the bReeder used you may come close . How would a person even know if they came close unless they seen the parent plants.
To really get a plant worth breeding it takes allot of seed poping. Just because you take two of the same strains and mix them you won’t get a copy of a strain your looking for .
The only plants that will make up that breeders plants are the exact plants he used. Those two plants are lost to time unless he shared them. It’s really a mute point who ever is worried about you recreating their strain for profit. That’s why there’s so much varying between companies that came to have the same OG , WHITE Widow , sour d. S1 is the closest youll come with oUT intense breeding program. Yes similar but not duplicated. But if your going to do that much breeding it truly is yours.

8 Likes

FWIW, re: the Dannyboy “recreation” I’m suggesting, I realize that stuff & don’t pretend to have the ability. Just goodwill.

6 Likes

I wasn’t replying to you saying you had Ill will . I’m All for you keeping the his seed line around. I have a older pack doing the same with soon.
My argument was I personally think breeders who sell seeds have no say what happens with anything they sell. It doesn’t belong to them . If they love that plant so much don’t sell seeds of it.

9 Likes

I’m going to be starting a co-op seed run for The Flav (Romulan x Space Queen) in a couple months. So far I’ve got a 5 pack donated by the ever generous @Swe-can. If there’s anyone else holding them that want them to go to a good cause, hit me up. I’m sure we can make it work with 5 but I’d like some more diversity if possible. :v::peace_symbol:

22 Likes

Well in the end I think his strains will be lost to time pretty soon …you already can’t find almost anything and most don’t preserve strains and sell to the masses
I don’t know about his death at all only an autopsy and homicide detective can tell you something about that for sure
Actually 60 is the life expectancy of someone his age and suffering from the rare liver disease Montgomery ball the weed nerd founder died at 60 Right?
Damn well theirs lots of strains I think we should all try to preserve as many as we can and store them well
Someone is running his Instagram and selling his super soil now actually I’m not sure who but I think it’s a family member
Something he said before passing is
" save me some vortex" subcool

1 Like

Hello all, I have been reading through this tread and if feels like the PM system might be better utilized here. I don’t claim to know anything about what is being talked about but this back and forth feels counter productive. I have done some reading on Subcool and from what I understand he was an incredible breeder that brought some great things into this world. For that I am thankful and saddened by his loss. RIP Subcool and know you made the world a better place.

14 Likes

Weednerd for life.

7 Likes

At this point, I’ll claim to have it directly from the heavens & remind you all what the site’s name is, and say: MAKE MORE SEEDS! OVERGROW!

…As well as, anyone affiliated with Will/Victoria should be blacklisted. Those two will make a mistake & get theirs. :coffin: :fire:

PLEASE REPRODUCE & GIVE FREELY ANY PRE-2020 TGA!

17 Likes

Sounds interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for any Flav seeds floating around. Hope the run goes well.

Stay Irie :sunglasses::dash::desert_island:

2 Likes

Do it! He would want you to! I’d like to get my hands on some old school genetics as well. I’ve been away from the community since the shut down. I also live in a place that does not recognize the values of the plant so my connections have been limited. He wouldnt release seeds unless he knew they would be a hit. Cheers!

2 Likes

Definitely do a space queen run with the 5 seeds ,then share with all us the results .
I for one would love to give space queen a home here ,never got a chance to grow her only subcools dairy queen with mixed results .
Keep good things alive ,aint it a forum for home growers we are all at :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Hmm I was just enquiring about this very subject and the response from a member said not to make hacks and give them away.

I’ve not grown or smoked as many strains as people here have but space queen was something unusual and nice for me

3 Likes

There is a dude/dudette on FB selling , s1’s, autos and fems of all the latest names and he appears to be making a killing, most likely a member here or known in the circles.

1 Like

Aloha! I’m Tardis with Groundbreaking Seed Group. We are currently doing a Vortex Preservation Run because its my favorite strain and I don’t want to see it fade away for future generations. Our plan, to create an F4 of Vortex that is consistent with all the traits we like best & improve its structure. We are currently running 3 separate F3 breeding projects from F1 stock. Once those 3 are done we will combine the best 2 to create the F4 with some Hybrid Vigor an F4 wouldn’t otherwise have. We are making our work available along the way to the F4. My goal is to get vortex out there as much as possible. I want people breeding with it and making new crosses with it or stabilizing it with the traits THEY like.

That being said I will read the rest of this Thread. I hope you DID create more Vortex filial generations and I hope you have something special. My goal is to ensure Vortex is a major part of the cannabis market so more people can try it. That being said i’m not the quickest to send out mail but i’d love to send you some of our Vortex F2’s to try for yourself Guitarzan. Dm me where I can send them.

11 Likes

Just an FYI, this thread you are replying to is from 2.5 years ago. It does not mean @Guitarzan may not have interest, just pointing it out in case you didn’t notice. There is also a Vortex preservation run going on here as we speak.

5 Likes