Sun Grown Bud Is Better

No supplemental lighting, just sun?

There are way too many variables to make a statement like “outdoor is better than idoor”. I’ve seen schwag grown both indoors and outdoors. In my environment, most outdoor cannabis is sub-par.

It comes down to the law of minimums. If everything is on point, and the light becomes the minimum, then perhaps the extra photons/spectrum will allow the plant to produce more secondary metabolites (ie THC and terpenes).

If, for example, calcium is the minimum then no matter how much light you have, the plant will not reach its full potential. With a few exceptions, most outdoor environments are not perfect for cannabis growth.

17 Likes

I agree with what you said. However, If all variables were the same other than light source, do you think the sun or artificial lighting would do better?

Edit: the title is sun grown bud is better, not indoor vs outdoor is why I ask.

3 Likes

Honestly, I think photons are photons and are rarely the limiting factor. It’s more efficient, and cheaper to use the sun, however.

When a photon hits a chlorophyll molecule in photosystem II, it reduces it, causing an electron to split off. That electron gets replaced with a hydrogen ion that was split off a water molecule.

When this electron and another photon hits a chlorophyll in photosystem I, it is again excited even further producing the precursors needed to capture carbon and transform it into sugar.

Cannabis being a C3 plant, leaves CO2 as the limiting factor.

16 Likes

was definitely not intended/directed as a diss to you at all. my tone could use improvement at times. sorry about that. I have nothing to gain by insulting anybody, especially in a place as generally positive as this. :pray:

I just think it’s messed up that many people (in general) look at a flower and go “ooooh shiny” and just kinda leave it at that. I’ve come across and consumed a truly unfortunate amount of beautiful tra$h, and grown old-school plants that look raggedy but are utterly devastating. Predictably, I have formed a strong opinion :grin:

2 Likes

Hey, as long as it isn’t some ammonia smelling brick weed, I’ll try outdoor. Lol but seriously. I prefer indoor grown organic. Although, I have seen some pictures of outdoor on the west coast and man, they look good.

3 Likes

Organic Indoor is becoming Incredible, look at @corey & @hoppiefrog, two of the most remarkable grows here today. I can Imagine we are seeing some incredible plants with these new LED systems, amazed and not too confused!

6 Likes

People on the net hype that stuff up like crazy… but give it to my people, most of who only smoke local, and by the second or 3rd time, they will either tell you that they don’t want it or start to avoid you.
So it doesn’t matter how pretty it is, after the initial first time trying it is over, it will not even give you a buzz.
I know many people who say the same thing about it. I read tons of people saying the same thing. You get high one or 2 times then after that nothing.
I remember buying ounces at a time and having to flush it by the end of the week.
And for sure it didn’t taste that hot. I wouldn’t even try to give it away.
At the time, I don’t know he was bringing it back from California.

2 Likes

I can agree on that point.

Some of the best looking herb I’ve ever seen, was mids at absolute best.

And some of the worst looking bap I’ve ever seen, was 1-hit KO :fire:

Bag appeal/looks/smells don’t mean anything unless you’re selling. And only then, to undiscerning heads. Cookies, Cakes, and Runtz don’t do anything for me at all.

As to the point of the thread… I’d think greenhouse is best of both worlds. I don’t think the sun makes things any better or worse. There’s too many other variables and as @ReikoX said, light is usually not the limiting factor. Now being in the ground as opposed to a pot might have some major benefits, but that’s about all I got.

10 Likes

I think some people need to come out of the closet and into the light lol .

6 Likes

Reading the thread there are many valid observations made and noted. Sunlight except for greenhouse grown is going to have pest and temperature extremes that indoor is not subjected to. Rain will fall on it. It probably won’t be as pretty as the indoor for sure.

Epigenetics- now if I read this correctly what the research infers is that a consistent stress free environment masks weaknesses in the crop. Assuming the source is credible.

4 Likes

a simple discussion has turned into a dick measuring contest, some of y’all need to check ur egos and chill.

9 Likes

I 100% agree. I absolutely can’t stand the purple punch crosses. They look pretty, smell nice and then you smoke them. :-1:

2 Likes

That is really interesting. I’d love to learn more about lighting. My question was more if all other factors are the same, are we going to get more cannabinoids using the sun or artifical lighting? I know LED’s are really improving, but I think the sun is gonna be hard to beat.

4 Likes

We get it you grow big outdoor crops :unamused:

6 Likes

15 Likes

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE…(100%)

It’s only a matter of time before human scientists figure out that they don’t stand a chance in human efforts to comprehend God’s system.
It’s funny to me when I read the methods used in modern scientific testing & experimenting.

I can easily prove my point that human methods are severely flawed with many holes.

But yes, outdoor sunlight (the way God does it) is the holy grail in growing.

5 Likes

I would be totally shocked if you could demonstrate any understanding of the scientific method. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Indoor lights are a tool of the devil. Lucifer means “light bringer”…COINCIDENCE?!?

He uses candles and or/whale oil…as God intended.

6 Likes

We may all have different belief systems. Some of us credit nature and evolution for all the amazing life on earth. No offense meant, just trying to encourage some tolerance for others beliefs.