Swayze's - 2x4x5 - First Grow - START to FINISH

You could treat it like a really cloudy day and carry on the old schedule. Whatever you decide, stick with it. The plants will hermie if they can’t take it, or they will roll with the punches. You have already had some hermie action with some of these, so watch any related to those most closely, right?

2 Likes

I think we are pretty much saying the same thing. :+1::seedling:

1 Like

@99PerCent @ReikoX thank you!

the more experienced people telling me the same answer, the more at ease i am when making these decisions! thanks again OG community ! :pray:

heres a quick morning shot before i cut the bottom middle out (around end of week 6 ish)

SWAYZE :cactus:

13 Likes

It is a stress technique 99 and it does work to increase resin production. Although it’s a 3 day darkness thing for me. Then chop the plant
Flip it upside down and keep it ventilated for a week.

I wouldn’t do it with a herm though personally

1 Like

It’s one of those “stoner science” things IMO. More of a preference thing. You can be assured a giant nursery won’t do the practice, but for a personal home grow we get to play a bit.

I did a bit of research and testing and came to the conclusion that cutting the plant during the dark period results in a faster cure and smoother smoke. It all so preserves the more volatile terpenes.

I saw no difference in resin production from extended periods of darkness, nor did I see any harm. That being said, I have been known to cut the lights when a plant is done and chop it later when I have more time.

3 Likes

Thank you @anon58740919 and @ReikoX !

I have heard this method as long as I can remember. I’m glad you went back and touched on the topic!

When I was growing back in the day it was general practice for a few of us to shut the lights out on last flower day and leave them like that for 24 hours. I agree with the smoother smoke. But anything more than that is hard to say without a controlled experiment.

2 Likes

UPDATE

So i chopped down the “nanner” plant which was Chem Cookies and got it curing… tried some early buds and i may say they are quite tasty! Strong kush / Italian lunch meat smell & taste just after a 7 day dry at 60%RH … currently in jars curing away

here are some pics of the process

i went with the dry trim method (Before)

(After)

Totall dry weight was 33.5 grams (from a plant that was the smallest of them all and chopped early at start of week 7 due to “nanners” to avoid pollination )

QUESTIONS:
-my night time RH is getting pretty high (64-68%) even with a smal dehumidifier … as long as air flow is high should i worry?
-Plants seem to be drinking less… is this normal? and should i continue with regular watering or lighten it up?

• When looking at maturity of trichomes do you take a look at the top buds? or the whole plant?
    all my trichs are cloudy and some plants have sugar leaves that are fully covered in amber and a few of my lower buds have 3/4 cloudy and 1/4 clear … so whats the best guage from where to check the plant?
    (getting pretty freaking anxious to harvest almost looks the 2 Carnage plants are close to ready)

and here is a up to date shot of the Garden at day 52 of flower

8 Likes

Keep burpin’ them jars. Let the last of the chlorophyll smells out for another few days.

Looks like a good smokin plant.

Lovely!

1 Like

Anyone got any advice reguarding these questions?

1 Like

Keep it moving, worry not.

Might be nearing the end. They will stop taking water when they are absolutely done.

Get ready to spend some time in Trim Jail.

5 Likes

As far as harvesting according to trichs go that’s on you… You can harvest individual branches or wait until the whole plant has the ratio of clear, white, and amber. One bud may be 80milk and 10 and 10 of amber and clear and the next may be 50/25/25… Its up to you to make the decision to chop the whole plant based on what you see all over.

1 Like

I look the whole plant over, and by the sounds of it, I would have the gloves, alcohol, snips, utility knife, cardboard box lid, and reading glasses ready.

I think cigarettes are good for trade in

1 Like

Wow thanks @99PerCent & @Eddie.saw !! Quick and helpful answers!

The OG community is a wonderful thing! :ok_hand:

Waiting for the warden to yell “LIGHTS OUT” pun intended lol

2 Likes

chem cookies plant is a beauty, nice going! Humidity over 60% late in flower? I would worry. Doesn’t mean you have to! But fat, dense buds will be at risk for mold over 60%.

3 Likes

Its been a while since my last update… but i have completed my first harvest and already onto my 2nd grow… here are a few pics of the process
garden before harvest

shots of the Carnage

and a few of the Chem Cookies

fast forward to the drying process, the buds will spend 7 days in here with most leaves left on so i can perform the “dry trim method” to preserve as much flavor as possible

after 7 days drying at 62% RH and 72F buds put into jars for curing process. burped jars twice a day for the first week, once a day for the second week, and once every 2-3 days after that for a month. flavour profile is to infinity and BEYOND

between 6 plants in a 4x2x5 grow space i yeilded 316 grams dry weight (11.28 Ounces) . Thats 0.78 grams per TRUE Watt. (keeping in mind i had to chop one plant early due to nanners)
CARNAGE

-Sweet flavour/ Smell (resembles strains such as Nuken & Romulan)
CHEM COOKIES

-very kushy almost garlic smell/flavour. this one really gets peoples attenchion when they smoke it… the flavour is outta control

i didnt do the best trim job… but its all smokeables for me :wink:
ENJOY

Grow #2 is on the way… featuring White Widow, Cheese Auto, Northern Lights Auto from “Canuck Seeds” & Violator Kush from “Barney’s Farm”

11 Likes

Welcome back!

Looks like you missed us. :laughing:

99%

1 Like

You need bigger jars!! :+1:

3 Likes

Very nice @swayze… Just goes to show the gamble of starting seeds… You definitely got some nice plants from bagseed! What was the actual wattage of your 600?

1 Like

thanks for the kind words!
the actual wattage of the “Meizhi 600W” on full power was 268W (from the outlet)
and the “Meizhi 300W” on full power was 135W (from the outlet)

3 Likes