Taco leaves on my krunkleberry F42

I have a plant that is in its 6th week of flower. It is krunkleberry, a sativa Dom hybrid. It has started to taco on the leaves and I have no idea why. Humidity has been 35-45%, temps in the 70s. They are under a 400 w hps that is air cooled and closed. I recently gave them a higher dose than normal of big bloom but I don’t know if this is a huge issue. They are in soil, oceanforest.

6 Likes

Overwatering or too much heat can cause leaves to curl up.

4 Likes

I see only the upper leaves doing that, so might be heat stress as it’s been said, plant reduces leave surface to avoid evaporation and keep humidity. Try raising your light if possible … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Whats your lux at?

1 Like

If it is overwatering, will they un-taco over time?

1 Like

That was my first thought, too much light intensity.

I have a 400 w hps in a 2x4 ft grow tent. So ~6000 for lux?

If you plant on using MH/HPS, get yourself a meter off of amazon. They’re relatively inexpensive and will save yourself a lot of the guess work. And depending on the output of that 400w bulb, my guess would more than likely be from 50k-90k.

I used to use this one, works great.

1 Like

It depends on how fast you catch the curling. If they are dry and crumbly then doubt if they will come back but plants are resilient and losing a few fans is generally and easy recovery once you get them back on track.
When I’ve had that it was from too much heat having the lights too close.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t room/tent humidity be higher during early flower? Sure crash it low at the end if you want/need, but looks like that canopy has experienced sustained low humidity (but about the right amount of light). It looks like you have a solid canopy and the lower leaves do fine because the plants increase humidity inside the canopy if the air movement isn’t fairly significant. If that’s the only issue then I’d say raise humidity to VPD levels, prob raise lights to give them a chance to re-hydrate, they look like they might recover quickly. Or…they could be half drowning in wet soil and look that way as well?

I don’t think is a nute/hot/humidity problem.

Have a look ,they can be russet mites, If you can, take a leaflet and check under the microscope to discard this issue.

Raise your light : )

4 Likes

I’m surprised no ones asked this, what is the height of the lamp to the top of the canopy.

2 Likes

Around 12 inches

2 Likes

I thought this but I haven’t found any under microscopes. But I am noticing brown and yellow spots on the curled leaves. But images I have seen of symptoms don’t exactly line up. Most of the time they curl but this is full on rolled up. If it is russet mites what can I do this late in the game?

You can get light meter apps for your smartphone too. I’m sure they’re not as accurate, but they’re free and can be a good way to get an idea of light levels.

@gonzostongue I get this issue sometimes too and I think it’s due to a combination of light too close, low humidity and my fans blasting the plants 24/7. I’m going to back my light off next round and turn the fans down and point them away for a more ‘indirect breeze’.

If you notice it’s worse where fans are hitting directly maybe try pointing them away or turning them down.

3 Likes

I’ve been running my 440w mh about 15-17 inches, because anything closer to 15 inches I notice slight tacoing.

2 Likes

How much do you think it affects the end result?

1 Like

Light is too close to the plants unless it is air cooled, put your hand between the plant and the light, leave it there for a few minutes, if it’s uncomfortable, think how the plant feels after hours?

1 Like

Hey bud, like MBVapster said it depends on the damage. Take a look at these 2 pics. I moved this plant under a much more powerful light and it got too hot in the room. Fixed issues and 24 hrs later there was marked improvement. If not too badly damaged leaves will come back and nee ones will continue.

1 Like