TAP Water specs of my city Help

It will not remove it all but most will turn to vapor and evaporate. To do it correctly you should filter it with charcoal or distill it but simply boiling it will remove a lot of it……

1 Like

The one @JohnnyPotseed linked, and the whole house filter I use, are both made with KDF-85 and KDF-55 filters. Those are what’ll filter out the heavy metals and inorganic compounds… for the basics, an adsorbtion carbon filter will get rid of chlorine and chloramine. For fluoride, you’d need an ion exchange resin filter as well, but it doesn’t look like your water system has that.

1 Like

I think I Will have to go with DIY,doing a charcoal filter and I ll be good to go manteining It.Or find a way to use those filters you got as standalone System,directly from my Tap output …got me thinking a lot today

1 Like

You can buy KDF-85 and 55 filter material as a standalone. They sell it on Amazon, if nothing else… though I’m not sure about the availability for your country, I gather you’re not :us: based. There should be other retailers that’ll sell it as well, I would think.

https://www.amazon.com/Filtration-Media-Sulfur-Bacteria-Metals/dp/B00538GXNM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kdf+85&qid=1639414519&sr=8-3

They also have ion exchange resin filter material on Amazon, the one my filter uses is Zeolite.

1 Like

Holy crap man VERY THANKS!Sounds like a good recipe if I find the ingredients and put Them in a 5 liter jug,reversed and drooping from the cap :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Quite welcome; and thanks to you, I just figured out how to DIY my own water filter when this one runs out of juice. :wink: Add some activated charcoal to those three, put it in a fancy bottle and you’ve got my $200 water filter… :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Exactly,of course your system Is more comfy,but you can recharge It with the marerials
Much obliged to you sir

1 Like

Thank you so much for this huge post,currently I have to Stick with cheaper and smaller solution,but I got ya.

1 Like

Carbon is not necessary. It doesn’t absorb mineral hardness, just larger organic molecules. It will absorb chlorine but…

Chlorine is OK. Chloramine is OK. I do not dechlorinate any water for any plants.

If you NEED to remove chlorine/chloramine, use a fish tank dechlorinator aka sodium thiosulfate. Carbon is an expensive way to dechlorinate water. Chlorine evaporates in a day anyway, chloramine doesn’t but it’s not an issue for plants.

Do not worry, your water is fine.

5 Likes

Thankyou @vernal got me thinking all day long, haven’t done anything except search for a solution
Edit:I am worried since I use biobizz and Need to not kill the bacteria

No, but lowering the pH to 6.5 will decrease the bicarbonates by roughly 50%.

I hate it when I agree with you (just teasing). I think people over estimate the disinfecting power of the amount allowed in drinking water.

5 Likes

Thanks Reikox,Happy to have your thoughts too :heart_eyes:

Sometimes, the correct thing to do is nothing. Water quality is an entire science unto itself.

It is unusual to have water totally unsuitable to growing. If you can drink it, you can grow plants with it.

2 Likes

We don’t use to drink It here from tap

I like alkalinity though.

And yeah, it takes a lot of bleach (relatively) to make things truly sterile and unsuitable for life.

4ppm is max allowed in drinking water in USA…enough to kill a fish but a Cannabis plant won’t even notice.

2 Likes

I didn’t think most Europeans drink tap water…I remember that from German class our professor thought it was strange to drink tapwater.

1 Like

True,you know…gotta try to grow One plant with the tap water and sacrifice One seed ahahahah
FOR SCIENCE!!

1 Like

You mentioned running soil and biobizz, while the chlorine and chloramine won’t be physically damaging your plants at lower levels, they will be destroying the microbial life your plants are using. It really doesn’t take much chlorine to destroy microbes, 1-2ppm will keep your pool water clear.

2 Likes

Alright man…thank you!So basically,Need to boil It before using
@Orison

Chloramine is specifically used nowadays over chlorine because it doesn’t evaporate easily. You can boil it out, but it takes a long while, same with airstones. Activated carbon does a good job of removing it, as does reverse osmosis.

As an edit to my previous post, chlorine and chloramine won’t “completely” destroy the beneficial microbial life in an organic setting, but it will reduce populations.

3 Likes