Tech career talk (or free seeds for knowledge)

This field is completely saturated. A lot of people go to school for a Bachelor of Arts degree with a focus on graphic design. In addition to that, there are a lot of very talented people without BA’s that work independently as well. I’m not saying you can’t do it, but do your market research.

You’re not going to find companies that want to hire people to modify or tweak code. You either know and understand the fundamentals, or you don’t. Sometimes you can find a company that’s looking for the “Jack of all trades” but it’s not the norm for most tech companies.

If software interests you, what type of programming do you want to perform, application or embedded? Application programmers typically write code with a graphical user interface (GUI) that involves a user doing something. Embedded programmers write code that runs headless, or without a user interface such as micro controllers or FPGA’s. If you want to be proficient with both, learn C. Python may be the most popular application programming language, but C is truly portable, which means it is machine (hardware) independent and doesn’t require an interpreter. Most of the employers I’ve worked for look for C experience first, then everything else for this reason.

The best advice I can give you is to find a company that is willing to take a chance on you with your limited technical skill set and your ambitious attitude. Start flooding tech companies with your resume, and when you interview with them, be adamant about your desire to go back to school and earn a degree. Better yet, enroll now if possible. It shows ambition. Most employers will reimburse tuition costs if you maintain a C average or above. Companies like to do that because they’re investing in you. Also, it’s pro-rated, which means you’re committing to several years of employment with them or you have to pay a portion of the money back (it varies, but it’s usually 3 years). Even if you earn your degree and decide you don’t want to stay with the company that basically paid for it, you can usually negotiate that with another employer, and often times they compensate you for what you owe, but now you owe them for the same period. Successful companies that are in it for the long haul are looking for talent that is going to go the long haul with them. Training is expensive. When a company invests time and money in an employee and that employee leaves, it’s a tremendous expense on the employer to rehire and train someone for that same position.

I would also add that your geographical location plays a huge roll in demand for technical resources. If you live in a metropolitan area, the competition will be fierce in times of a rough economy but work to your advantage in a thriving economy. If you live in a suburban or urban area where young people do not want to live, demand can be very high for technical resources, regardless.

Use Indeed, Monster or whatever the job search engines are today (I’ve been with the same company 20 years) and do some market research to find out what’s available, in demand and the requirements necessary.

5 Likes

What I believe will be needed forever is a handyman. I have thought about this for myself. Most areas dont have one. Helpful duty, set your own hours, could be rewarding. Listening to dave Ramsey on the radio I hear triple digits can be had, but that sounds too involved for that much. Doing plumbing as a single business guy also is good in my area, but i like the variation of a handyman. Different stuff each day. Might not help, but thats what I know.

4 Likes

appreciate the offer but information should be free.

(☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞
(;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)

4 Likes

Hey brother.

I worked 25 years in tech, from IT to 3d modelling to game development and systems engineering. I spent countless weeks working 90 hrs plus and honestly don’t care if I never use a computer again. I’m a tech refugee, so pretty much the reverse of what you are looking at lol.
To get into tech I would start by looking at tech desk kinda work
like fixing people’s office computer problems. Most companies of any size will have a help desk for IT issues. There is also system building work at gaming pc stores and that kinda work.

As a few people have mentioned AI is the next gold rush, so understanding machine learning at least would be a big plus. Most monotonous tasks are going to automated via AI, including programming and 3d content creation etc. One skill that is in demand atm is as an information curator for databases used to train AI. To find an ‘in’ you either need to start at the bottom; or get some bleeding edge skills in some growth technology and then fake it till you make it. Being able to talk the talk is 50% of the battle.

4 Likes

I know it’s grunt work but I personally do moving gigs on Craigslist from national movers needing help with unloading or wrap and load ups. When chasing em aggressively I was getting 3-5 a week, I demanded a 4 hr minimum and 20-25 an hour depending on location and travel since I’m in a rural area, most the time we got tips that ranged from 20-120 as my highest for 2-3 hrs work on the typical unload making average 150 a gig. It’s an everyday hustle and chase but the reward is usually pretty good cept when u run into the customers that stiffed ya and walking with the 80 dollar minimum

My buddy does a book selling hustle using a book selling app and hitting the goodwills, savers, desert industries etc and scanning the books to find the valuable college books with a buyer already lined up with them paying the shipping, he does pretty good with that one and ur in a different area from us that it’s not competition on his route

6 Likes

At this moment, it is still very early in AI ;
remember when search engines weren’t super duper and google didn’t exist ?

Ai in its current incarnation is okay to good - probably better than most people at things like effective writing.

You can start a consulting company, where you help people / companies communicate and innovate, using AI as your tool for them.

The social media angle - creating tictoc / shorts (short 60 second vids) all with AI.
which can be done today.

2 Likes

Just for fun I asked chatgpt

give me a list of 10 differnt industry segments that could use a solo entrepreneur ai marketing consultant today

ChatGPT

Certainly, as a solo entrepreneur AI marketing consultant, you can target a variety of industry segments that can benefit from your expertise. Here are 10 different industry segments that might be particularly suited for a solo AI marketing consultant:

1. Small Businesses: Many small businesses lack the resources for a full-time marketing team but can benefit from AI-driven marketing strategies to reach their target audience more effectively.

2. Local Retailers: Local shops and boutiques can use AI to drive foot traffic, improve online visibility, and create personalized marketing campaigns.

3. Health and Wellness: Personal trainers, nutritionists, and wellness coaches can use AI to target potential clients, offer personalized fitness plans, and track progress.

4. Legal Services: Solo attorneys and law firms can use AI for lead generation, content marketing, and online reputation management.

5. Freelancers and Consultants: Independent professionals across various fields can benefit from AI-driven marketing to find clients, showcase their expertise, and manage their online presence.

6. Real Estate Agents: Solo real estate agents can use AI to generate leads, analyze market trends, and provide personalized property recommendations to clients.

7. Hospitality: Bed and breakfast owners, Airbnb hosts, and boutique hotels can use AI for guest acquisition, personalized guest experiences, and online reviews management.

8. Creative Arts: Artists, photographers, writers, and musicians can utilize AI for audience targeting, content promotion, and building a fan base.

9. Tech Startups: Early-stage tech startups can benefit from AI-driven customer acquisition, user onboarding, and growth hacking strategies.

10. Nonprofits: Small nonprofit organizations can use AI marketing to reach donors, raise awareness, and optimize fundraising efforts.

These industries can provide opportunities for a solo AI marketing consultant to offer tailored services that cater to the unique needs and challenges of each sector. Keep in mind that as a solo entrepreneur, it’s essential to understand the specific pain points and goals of your clients within these industries to deliver effective AI-powered marketing solutions.

1 Like

What tools are there for the types of application you’re talking about? What key words should I be looking at to find how many different AI tools there are and what the different AI tools do?

I plan on using chatgpt when I’m teaching myself coding or basically anything I can’t fully grasp, have it explain it to me in different terms or for different levels of comprehension until I get it. I thoroughly enjoy the prospects of your suggestion, I’m just technologically stunted at the moment and have to catch up on all of this

…also still out of likes

@royal shoot me your info if you want some seeds as a thank you!

3 Likes

i’ve given it some thought this morning and i have found your perfect career path, reverse engineering. you know a little about programming and need to learn some more, and if it were me, i would learn arm assembly (in fact i started it a few years ago but had to quit to learn about something i was working on at the time) to go along with it. most cpus these days are arm chips because cell phones, and apple is even using arm in their laptops now. malware needs reverse engineered to be handled. you don’t have to be able to write it to identify it and figure out what it’s doing, but you need to know how to de-obfuscate it and reverse engineer it to look at it. if you get good at it you can make bank with it, almost to the point of writing your own ticket. i know some folks who are really good at it, like azeria who is in the first link. she is a badass in multiple ways. 1 2 3 4 5

1 Like

Be skeptical of what chatgpt puts out, but it is a good tool for some code troubleshooting. Also start to build out a lab, if yoy have a windows machine you may be able to turn on HyperV and start building out various virtual machines to play with.

3 Likes

Yesterday I was looking up a TV show to find a trailer, and the AI they’ve tried to automatically attach to the search engine managed to conflate two TV shows and a movie with the same name. It gave me a completely nonsense summary for something that had never existed, combining details from all three. AI is great if nobody with any critical thinking skills is ever going to interact with your work, but otherwise I wouldn’t expect much. AI might end up being a big part of our lives someday, but it’s either going to have to massively improve at picking up context - or people are going to have to lower their standards even more.

3 Likes

This is meant to encourage you but it may come off sounding discouraging. Bare with me, here. The tech industry is huge and broad. My suggestion is to tread carefully and spend lots of time researching various areas and specialties.

“What does it take to write algorithms?”.

Most anyone can implement an algorithm with some effort. Although knowing the why, where, and how are things that are learned over time. For instance, implementing sorting algorithms is a good exercise and is fundamental within computer science. But which one? There are many. Why so many? Why use one over another? The output is the same. Is there a difference between developing vs implementing an algorithm? Is algorithm development the goal? Or primarily implementation?

Algorithms would most certainly fall within the field of computer science (a subset of mathematics). AI, for instance, is in essence a collection of algorithms. AI, likewise, falls within the umbrella of computer science (mathematical basis). But, even then there are multiple sub-specialties within AI each of which require a different set of abilities. Particularly the deeper you go. Utilizing a trained network ← validation ← tuning / generalization ← training of a neural network ← data mining and cleaning ← tweaking the neural network ← optimization of a neural network ← implementing a neural network ← developing a neural network architecture ← research and developing the mathematical basis, proofs, and optimizations. AI is really cool with tons of potential applications but it’s one of those things that can take you down a path that may or may not enjoy later after applying the effort, depending on your long term goals.

Computer support, IT, etc would also be considered part of the tech industry and is an offshoot from computer science. An equally important specialty although it is generally miles apart from developing algorithms.

A different example, computer security. There’s IT type of security, there’s development of secure systems, and then there the mathematical basis of cryptography (among others). Each of these can be more or less careers and have specific types of knowledge needed to be successful. Being an expert in one translates between each other but only partially.

The reason I mention this is that it’s something of a hard road to become proficient to the expert level (where the world becomes your oyster) within tech. Because of the effort involved, you’d want to choose wisely from the outset to avoid the potential for later disappointment or being pigeon holed.

It can take time, energy, money (if going to school etc), and application in any one sub-specialty. It is also why I believe it’s important to spend time to survey the different opportunities and specialties to ensure that your future expectation matches what you are seeking (this is actually part of the rationale behind the bachelors degree). Then develop a plan to get there.

In addition, different fields within tech can have very different cultures. Some appear to be complete horror shows (to me) and would never consider just because of the culture. Some pay extremely well but competition is fierce and highly credentialed. Some fields you’ll be sleeping in the office and be on-call 24/7. Some are essentially help desk/ticket jobs. Some specialties you can exercise your own discretion and creativity while others are strictly by the numbers.

Some possible metrics to lay out from a career perspective:

Compensation (salary, benefits)
Time (and cost needed to become proficient, working up the ladder)
Prestige / Influence
Saturation (competition)
Interest / Ability
Credentials
Bootstrap (past experience)
Stress / Culture
Job Security
Growth (both personal and future potential)
Translation (ability to apply gained knowledge to different specialties/needs)

Any of the above can become a roadblock later. I post this not to dissuade you but rather as an aid to help you pick a field/sub-specialty that aligns to your long-term needs. And, in the hope to minimize false starts … in the search for a long-term and fulfilling career.

I’m excited to see what you discover!

P.s. who knows the origin of the term pigeon hole (as it relates to tech).

8 Likes

Ooooh, me! Pigeon holes refer to when express messages were carried by trained pigeons (homing/messenger pigeons selected from rock dove stock for exceptional homing abilities, pigeons have superb magnetoproception) and they roost in individual boxes on the roof, so you pick the pigeon that’s trained to go home to where you want that message sent and put it in the leg tube or backpack. It has one job! I believe it then passed on in language to the pneumatic tube systems used in major cities at the turn of the century to move messages and other small objects around a downtown area (bigger versions of the ones many of us may have grown up with in banks at the drive-thru, basically) and then after that into telephone switchboards with manual patching by an operator. All precursors to modern computing where things get sorted into a hole and that hole defines their purpose entirely.

I’m not a computer guy by trade, but I am a messenger, and our histories overlap a lot!

9 Likes

WOW. Beautiful description and history. The earliest computers had used that concept to describe the storage of individual values within specific microprocessor locations. Pigeon holes. They are now called registers.

5 Likes

Harvard university (and many others) has a huge amount free online programs for coding and computer science. While I have not personally completed them, they are supposed to be a fantastic introduction to some of the different areas available for computer studies. Some also come with some sort of certificate or accreditation you could use to build your resume/portfolio of work and experience.

Also EDX has a bunch of good free computer programs, some also come with free accreditation for building your resume.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjyxqHDwciBAxUh-5QJHZeTBy0YABAAGgJ5bQ&ae=2&gclid=CjwKCAjwgsqoBhBNEiwAwe5w0-jHzlM0iqH-lGiFSt4labPjhxTQuqpuS1LbFGZjDVsqqgowIBMcdxoCoIcQAvD_BwE&sph&ohost=www.google.ca&cid=CAESbOD2yrjhEgaxXul8wEaZPA7d3iCaPOuErhIMRuythrJwFbr3pIatHaQbPjMPmIB9k5YbGsUtX66A1TMwl1oHVTFkdQRFSyBqMYYhsW8HlSxBnJ2e98_TqOxPQVGoE40zKkT4kbzdeXN10wigpg&sig=AOD64_3csFI4RlbF6Mp9exRqd5yi9cwjDA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiIzJvDwciBAxUpjYkEHZHNCvYQ0Qx6BAgMEAE

This is going to be a hard slog but it’s definitely possible. While not everyone will have this experience, I recently did work (I’m an electrician) for a client who had done a 6 month coding course. Part of the course was a work term at the end. He was offered a job from the work term and is already making a living, working from home, doing some sort of coding. This guy was obviously working hard and very lucky but It is possible to achieve if you make a plan and stick to it :grin:

4 Likes

Pigeons have a weird history in tech! Did you know that BF Skinner, as part of his operant conditioning research, tried to develop a pigeon-based guided bomb for the military in WWII? They called it Project Pigeon, later Project Orcon (for Organic Control) and he trained the pigeons to manipulate control rods to aim themselves at a pile of grain, in the absence of computing able to set targets! It didn’t make it to completion before electronic targeting mechanisms came of age, of course.

2 Likes

1 Like

There’s a cool article here @Northern_Loki @TestOfOath for you technical guys with electronics diagrams and stuff about how the pigeon was the CPU basically for a much larger smarter machine (also just a really neat website generally about early animal experiments with cybernetics and also robots:

IMG_4519 IMG_4520 IMG_4521

3 Likes

man, must be the weed, but i totally forgot i host a website with links to free training across the internet.

http://codewv.org/training

5 Likes

@TestOfOath I’m going through some of these same questions myself, trying to retrain and figure out what I want to do until I’m old that will remain relevant. I’m actually thinking tech but in a different direction, soil sciences and environmental monitoring and testing. I want to stay involved with food and get more into farming but I do not want to drive a tractor or work in a barn, so technical skills like soil testing and practices for developing tilth seem like a good bet for a job that isn’t tied to a desk but also uses computers and my brain instead of my poor aching back hahahah. Plus I hope that the cannabis legal industry keeps moving towards greenhouse cultivation with light dep and supplemental light setups, we are seeing a big growth of that here in my southern New England farm valley since the commercial outdoor cultivation laws passed. There were always a ton of berry and flower greenhouses here when I was growing up, mostly dilapidated but they’ve been making a comeback with the modern Dutch and Spanish style of big plastic hothouses vs our older wood and brick and glass ones from the turn of the century

2 Likes