Testing some 2005 Nirvana Master Kush and Ak-48

Just popped a few of the oldest seeds in my collection. Not sure if theyre viable of the quality of the genetics. Lets see how this goes! ill be keeping this log for myself, everyone is more than welcome to join along in the journey. this is probably my ~6th grow overall but theyve all been pretty small so im still very new to this.

nirvana - master kush

• started 5 reg seeds 7/8/22. used sterilized coir. 3" pot

nirvana - ak-48

• started 5 reg seeds 7/8/22. used sterilized coir. 3" pot

the plan is to sex the phenos as early as possible, cull the males then do a tiny run of the phenos to see if there is anything interesting in there. Ive been told Nirvana genetics is a crapshoot. I ran a few of their autos with decent success but they were not spectacular. this will be the first photos ive run from them. im really hoping for that cherry ak pheno

22 Likes

Note bias - nirvana was the first brand name seed I ever ran.

I germed 20 year old Cali-O seed that had been stored well and they did 100%

I germed some WW that was very old (they were old when I got them) with very poor results. Ended up with one nice female and I cloned the hell out of her and she was very nice.

Best of luck.

12 Likes

Good luck I’ll be here watching g the show from afar but still watching.

3 Likes

@sardinebags Like @Foreigner, Nirvana was our first store bought seed. Great for beginners great value with a low price tag.

We had great luck with their WR, Aurora Indica, Papaya and Misty. And Ice, They were also among our first attempts at breeding, so I’m biased lol

The AK 48 I’ve heard was one of their best.
We still have a few seeds of Hawiian Skunk, Jock Horror from 2005 not sure we’ll ever grow these. Never grew them. just gave away some seeds and hung on to these.

Best of Luck buddy !! If they pop I’m sure you’ll be happy! :+1:

2 Likes

I’d be willing to trade big for some Nirvana pure power plant.

Another old school memory

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember people really liking the old PPP…unfortunately never bought any at that time. I believe Mau only breeds feminized versions of the good old Nirvana strains now. I haven’t tried any of it, but I doubt it’s the same JMO.

1 Like

That’s a shame. I’d do a seed run if something were to come out of the woodwork.

I may be wrong but I think it’s a Durban crossed with a skunk or an Afghan. Muted anise in the background and a little spicy. Great daytime weed.

4 Likes

@sardinebags any luck yet? As long as the seeds don’t look darken or black they still have a chance
sometime old seeds take up to a month you can try using various products to help Gibric acid comes to mind urb is something else I’ve heard helps.

We’ve also use liquid Karma. Some seeds eed more than just this and scuffing. We have some that age that just won’t pop and we need to literally shear off the seam and open them up a bit. Still haven’t tried that. Anyway

Good Luck!

@Draig thanks for asking. all five ak48 came up, only one mk came up. im ok with that, these were so old i had low expectations. nothing interesting happening as of yet

1 Like

Hey @sardinebags. That’s an awesome rate considering how old these beans are!
Hope you get more MK to pop or at least get a female of the one that did.

Good luck! :+1:

nothing much exciting going on. from the two packs, looks like there are 4 healthy aks and 2 mks.
im adding some new genetics to the mix. going to pop these tonight to sneak them into the phenohunt

• 3x [[irvine seed company#gg4 x blue dream]]
  • 3x [[@NugLifeFarms420 #Party Pooper]]. much thanks! super excited to give these a whirl

9 Likes

i have an old pack of NL5 from Nirvana, but i don’t know if they are any good. years ago people used to say nirvana had shitty genetics but i don’t know if there’s any truth to that.

1 Like

ive heard similar stories about nirvana genetics. seems like the consensus is that its a crap shoot. lets see how it does. now that im running some overgrow community genetics i bet there is a gem in there somewhere

I think they were pretty damn good IMHO especially for the price, we even made a few chucks with some of their gear. Still have some old stock lol

Or we had damn good luck. The only strains I didn’t care for was the WW it was stretchy and low yielding. The Cali-O was the same. more sativa moderate high, tons of orange hair. smelled like straight up oranges. We crossed it with Sensi Seeds Afghani #1 and most phenos kept the flavour and smell and added some decent weight.

3 Likes

starting to get big, one of the master kush seedlings pushed out this crazy leaf! no idea if its genetic or environmental but its very cool

7 Likes

As long as the plant are heathy it should be fine but looks like you might have some bugs. Might wanna spray the plant before tolyou put them into flower.

ya, im pretty much always dealing with some level of thrips. i spray every two weeks with monteray but it doesnt 100% control them.

1 Like

You should be spraying every 3-4 days under leaves and on top it’s a lot of work but toull get the best results that way. Gotta kill the next round right when they hatch. I’m dealing with aphids right now. Definitely not fun but the quality of the herb you will get will be worth it. Good luck buddy I’ll be sitting here checking out the show. Wanna see that master kush in action!!!

1 Like

oh interesting. thats way more frequently than the manufacturer recommendation.ill try once a week and see how that goes. i also just got a much better sprayer.

theyre still in that boring phase, excited for them to get large enough i can take a couple cuttings to sex them

5 Likes

Oooh! Vintage 2005 beans. This is exciting! Watching!

1 Like